2017 KTM 1290 SuperDuke R

Soldato
should have got the black, it looks better and you don't have to clean it as often. :p
It's the opposite with a black bike, they show scratches and swirlmarks and any dirt far more than a lighter colourer bike. Black bikes need washing more often, and more carefully.

Plus, it's not a KTM without an orange trellis frame.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
It's the opposite with a black bike, they show scratches and swirlmarks and any dirt far more than a lighter colourer bike. Black bikes need washing more often, and more carefully.

Plus, it's not a KTM without an orange trellis frame.
Black has an orange frame too? no?

IC3

IC3

Soldato
No Orange on the frame with the black one.

I like the multi colour of the white one.
http://www.ktm.com/gb/naked-bike/1290-super-duke-r-1/?color=BLACK
It would actually look alright if it had orange frame and maybe 2 tone wheels e.g. Orange/Black. Surely if you pay KTM, they'll paint it for you. My mates dad over in France requested a few changes which included repainting some elements and they did it. I didn't ask about the price, it was probably crazy expensive. :eek:

Associate
Long test ride on one today. Torque insane. Love it. Price equally insane though. Specced as I want it it's nearly £17k. Would need to put in around £10k on top of my Street. Really not sure it's worth that much.

I rode a black one but orange all the way for me.

Man of Honour
Long test ride on one today. Torque insane. Love it. Price equally insane though. Specced as I want it it's nearly £17k. Would need to put in around £10k on top of my Street. Really not sure it's worth that much.

But one 3 months old for a 30 percent saving.

Soldato

Surely you'd buy one a few months old and save £6k?

Soldato
OP

Jesus, what you speccing to get £17k!? You'd need to add the full Akra Evo system to get anywhere near that! I don't think the Evo system represents good value. I'd wait for Arrow etc to release updated versions, although I think the current systems will fit if you tweak the passenger footpeg hanger.

The KTM tank grips (sandpaper) and tail tidy should be avoided. Go aftermarket.

Associate
Track and performance pack, akra slip on, heated grips, tail tidy and a couple of carbon parts is £16.7k. I'd choose nearly new all day long but none are available right now as it's so new. Guess I'll have to wait a bit...

Soldato
OP
Track and performance pack, akra slip on, heated grips, tail tidy and a couple of carbon parts is £16.7k. I'd choose nearly new all day long but none are available right now as it's so new. Guess I'll have to wait a bit...

The Akra slip on is a total rip off. Near as dammit £800 for a slip on (no map nothing) is ridiculous.

The KTM tail tidy is naff. Get an Evotech one.

I passed on the track pack. The launch control is pretty fickle compared to the advanced stuff BMW, Yamaha etc use. With the BMW you can pin the throttle and completely dump the clutch. The KTM still requires manual clutch actuation.

Unless you want to turn wheelie control off and keep traction on or are a track goer who can use the slip regulation/throttle response adjustment I'd pass on Track Pack.

Associate
Sin,

I might have a few orange bits (master cylinder top and alternator cover insert) kicking around from my 1190ADV if you want them?

I am close to Reading so would be good to meet up for a brew?

Matt

Associate
The Akra slip on is a total rip off. Near as dammit £800 for a slip on (no map nothing) is ridiculous.

The KTM tail tidy is naff. Get an Evotech one.

I passed on the track pack. The launch control is pretty fickle compared to the advanced stuff BMW, Yamaha etc use. With the BMW you can pin the throttle and completely dump the clutch. The KTM still requires manual clutch actuation.

Unless you want to turn wheelie control off and keep traction on or are a track goer who can use the slip regulation/throttle response adjustment I'd pass on Track Pack.

Hmm ok, thanks. But the evotech is still the same price basically as the ktm tail tidy. Track pack is not much and wheelie off with traction on is desirable IMHO.

Maybe could get a cheaper slip on, but still it's a £16k bike new. What's the best slip on then?

Soldato
All I'd spec would be the performance pack with the up and down QS and the MSR for £460 and maybe the track pack. £14500/£14750.

The 2017 V4 Tuono factory is £16k... Makes the SDR look like a bargain!

Soldato
OP
Sin,

I might have a few orange bits (master cylinder top and alternator cover insert) kicking around from my 1190ADV if you want them?

I am close to Reading so would be good to meet up for a brew?

Matt

Meet up would be cracking, but I'm not on the mainland unfortunately :p

Hmm ok, thanks. But the evotech is still the same price basically as the ktm tail tidy. Track pack is not much and wheelie off with traction on is desirable IMHO.

Maybe could get a cheaper slip on, but still it's a £16k bike new. What's the best slip on then?

I'm getting an Austin Racing shorty slip-on. Under half the price basically. I'll let you know if it;s any good when it arrives.

The Evotech Tail tidy is a work of art. Full metal, 100% hidden cabling. Then angle of the KTM tail tidy is strange, I find it shines the reg plate light at people behind you rather than on the plate.

I'm no wheelie king so that part of the track pack was a bit of a no-go for me. You can always add it at a later date. It's a software update only.

Soldato
OP
Threw a box of Evotech Parts at it today. :o

Abba Stand Adaptors
They fit, phew! Best investment ever, the new adaptor kits are not pennies cheap, but certainly much cheaper than needing a new stand for each new bike you need to work you.

ktm_sdr1290_evotech_abba_1.jpg

Crash Bobbins

Bit finicky to install. Subtle enough that they do not become an eyesore but look great when noticed.
ktm_sdr1290_evotech_crabob_1.jpg

ktm_sdr1290_evotech_crabob_2.jpg

ktm_sdr1290_evotech_crabob_3.jpg

Front/Rear Bobbins

These are designed to spin, allegedly better in an off. For some reason the rear offside picture did not take/save. It's orange though! :cool:
ktm_sdr1290_evotech_frbob_1.jpg

ktm_sdr1290_evotech_frbob_2.jpg

ktm_sdr1290_evotech_rebob_1.jpg

ktm_sdr1290_evotech_rebob_2.jpg

Rectifier Guard

Was cheap...why not.
ktm_sdr1290_evotech_rect_1.jpg

ktm_sdr1290_evotech_rect_2.jpg

Rad Guard

Typical EP quality here, lightweight, perfect fitment.
ktm_sdr1290_evotech_radgu_1.jpg

ktm_sdr1290_evotech_radgu_2.jpg

Tail Tidy

As previously mentioned, this thing is top notch quality. It takes a little time to assemble as all the cabling is routed within the tidy itself. It also retains and reuses all of the OEM cabling/plugs and indicator stalks/reg plate LED themselves. Plug and Play, no cutting. Super easy to install once assembled.

ktm_sdr1290_evotech_ttidy_1.jpg

ktm_sdr1290_evotech_ttidy_2.jpg

ktm_sdr1290_evotech_ttidy_3.jpg

ktm_sdr1290_evotech_ttidy_5.jpg

ktm_sdr1290_evotech_ttidy_6.jpg

All in all every single Evotech bit I handled and installed was superb quality, finished immaculately and fitted/installed exactly as expected. Highly recommenced.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom