TVFox Antenna - Watch more channels free legally ?

Soldato
Just came across an advert for a new kind of antenna called TVFox which claims to pickup channels normal aerials could not pick up before that you have to pay for normally using other services.

Just trying to cut through the BS and get a handle on what this actually does and whether its a con or not. It has to be a con surely ? First I thought it was just for the US but you can buy them in this country it appears for £35. Looks just like one of the internal aerials that are a bit rubbish.

http://www.tvfoxantenna.com/

https://www.freeseetv.com/tvfox/

TVFox: Making TV Better for Everyone
Free Alternative to Cable TV
TVFox is the advanced technological fusion between antenna TV and cable TV. Without having to pay for monthly bills, you get completely free access to more than 90 of the top 100 locally broadcasted TV programs.

Plug and Play Robust Amplified Antenna
TVFox’s simple plug and play device involves no complicated set-ups or installations so you can easily watch the shows you love as soon as you get a hold of this amazing device.

Crystal Clear HD Resolution
Get ready to watch live broadcasted TV in 1080p HD TV without the hassle of adjusting a stubborn antenna. That’s news, sports events, and your favorite TV shows all in HD!

Developed by a NASA engineer using military technology, the TVFox Antenna uses a discrete mud flap modern design which makes it the most reliable and technologically advanced antenna to hit the market today. But there is a main differnce - it allows you to watch almost every channel, movie or show for free. With no subscriptions and completely legal.

How Does it Work?
It's easy! Just connect TVFox Antenna with any TV or monitor your have. All cables are included in the package. Press the power button and done. No seriously, it literally takes 10 seconds and you are able to watch all your favorite channels.

But how can you watch for free? The secret to that is a law that no cable company in the world wants you to know about. It states that every cable company has to provide additionally to the normal signal a over-the-air signal. So in order to not break the law the cable companies distrubute this signal but in a low frequency- so almost no antennas were able to pick it up reliably. Until now - TVFox Antenna changes that

Associate
Does this law applies to cable companies in the UK? Are they broadcasting an over-the-air signal?

I also wondered what [TW]Fox was doing selling dodgy TV aerials for the first minute of reading the thread...

Associate
If people are buying into this and sending money over then you ask for everything your going to get. I spat me drink out after reading NASA engineer doesn't take the brightest spark to know its a con

Soldato
I believe the technology might be sound enough. An engineered antenna encased on a little panel. It will still need positioning. I don't know how effective it is and find it hard to believe that it could replace a mast mounted directional roof antenna.

I'd expect that it would only receive channels already available over the air. You won't get any channels other than those on Freeview and transmitted by your local transmitter.

Cable companies may need to transmit CBS, ABC and what not over in the US but Sky don't do the same for their channels in the UHF/VHF frequencies over here, or at least as far as I know.

Soldato
Looks like a rectangle with a gradient on it overlaid with a picture of a usb extension.

And a whole lot of hyped up shiny webpages making you think about FREE TV, just pay this easy one off sum now, with massive discount!

MASSIVE DISCOUNT

Soldato
Scam. IIRC, Virgin Media stopped doing unencrypted free to air channels years ago. In fact you can't connect your own equipment to their network anyway, it all has to be approved and provisioned to their network management. If even Virgin are maxing out their channels at 1080i, how is this device going to give you 1080P?

Soldato
Scam. IIRC, Virgin Media stopped doing unencrypted free to air channels years ago. In fact you can't connect your own equipment to their network anyway, it all has to be approved and provisioned to their network management. If even Virgin are maxing out their channels at 1080i, how is this device going to give you 1080P?

I have my own equipment connected to my VM line and can get free to air SD channels.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
It appears that while we can buy this it is targeted at US consumers not UK. In the US you can get channels like ABC, HBO etc. over the air but they're so indoctrinated that they need to have cable that they are just waking up to it. It's why Plex are plugging their DVR. You buy an HD HomeRun, link it to Plex and you can record shows from the above channels. Completely legit.

Man of Honour
1) This is a TV aerial with built-in amplifier. It was developed for the US market where getting terrestrial TV is often a problem because of geography. Satellite and cable are more reliable, but they cost. As @Kol rightly says, generations of US consumers have been so used to relying on cable and satellite that they no longer see terrestrial as a viable choice.

2) When all is said and done it's a TV aerial. It plugs in to the TV aerial socket. That means for most people in the UK that it connects to the TV's DVB-T/T2 digital tuner, the analogue tuner, and possibly the DVB-C cable tuner as well if fitted. So, what are they going to receive? There's no analogue TV broadcasts AFAIK. Cable doesn't broadcast over the air, so the DVB-C tuner ain't going to pick up anything either. That leaves the DVB-T/T2 tuner - so the answer is Freeview/Freeview HD. Whoop-dee-do.

Tonnes of folk are going to fall for this scam because they don't understand how their TV tuner works, and because they're greedy. They'd rather believe some slick website than do a little bit of work finding out if it real or a scam. It's their money and time. Caveat emptor.

Associate
The Cable TV companies in the UK are not allowed to transmit over the air, this will not work. It may be a great little amplifier but you would be wasting your money. It may work in the US, I don't know, but over here ' Nowt '.
At the end of the day all encryption can be beaten, it is just with companies like Sky and Virgin, the amount of effort and equipment involved makes it far from practical, in a domestic set up.

Last edited:
Soldato
At the end of the day all encryption can be beaten, it is just with companies like Sky and Virgin, the amount of effort and equipment involved makes it far from practical, in a domestic set up.

I don't think the current Sky or Virgin encryption is crackable. But there are relatively cheap ways requiring little equipment to get around the encryption which are totally practical in a domestic setup. Not that I can go in to details here.

Associate
The amount of people I have heard say this and I am in this industry and I have only seen it done once and that was in 2003, in a university.
A lot has changed since then !

Back
Top Bottom