Neighbour issuing parking tickets!

Man of Honour
and how are you going to stop him?
Go out tell him to move. If he doesn't then I have several cars in the garage I will put on there as soon as he does drive somewhere. Simple. But I'd make his life very noisy and uncomfortable first by knocking at his door through the night.

Man of Honour
Nothing. What can they say, him locking his own gates isn't breaking any laws and there is no legal reason why he has to allow trespassers back onto his property to reclaim any property they've left there from a previous trespass. The moment they decided to trespass on his private land and dump their car it became a civil matter, not criminal. He has asked a few owners to cough up £50 to get access to his land so they can get their car though - a few have paid.

I copied and pasted this from another Forum that was discussing parking on private drives.

If the driveway is empty or not, as far as I'm concerned you DON'T block it OR park on it.
I live in a terrace of 4 private houses, in a cul-de-sac, all have driveways, leading to integral garages built under the individual houses.
Mine and my neighbour to my right have long driveways, capable of taking at least 3 medium to small cars, the other 2 have spaces for 1 car each in addition to their garage.
There is no dropped kerb, the driveways are level with the road.
I live some 80 metres from the Thames, very close to Tower Bridge, and a few years back, the river was full of "big ships" for a sailing race, so people were coming from all over to admire the ships.
Naturally there were a few more cars parking in the area for this, but you could still get in and out reasonably easily.
One day, during the course of my work, I found myself close to home and decided to stop for coffee.
As I approached my house, I saw a VW Passat parked on the drive, its rear bumper maybe 40cm from my garage door.
Thinking that it must belong to a friend of my wife, I parked in front of it, went in, and asked her.
She said that 2 guys put it there and were getting out, when she went out, and asked them to leave, as it was our private property, they'd said that they just wanted to look at the ships, she'd insisted, and they said that they'd leave when they were ready.
At this, the red mist started to descend across my eyes, but I thought, I'm going back to work, I'll try it legally first.
I phoned the local cops, who weren't too keen, until I told them that a breach of the peace was very likely if they didn't come and mediate.
When they arrived, they ran the plate, they wouldn't tell me, but I heard one say to his pal, "registered to an address in Nottinghamshire."
I said, "How about I pull it out with a tow rope?" They said that if I damaged it, the owner could take me to court, the best thing to do would be to wait until they returned and took it away.
I agreed, and they left.
I called a friend who had a breakers yard in Deptford, and he agreed to lend me a battered Transit van, and an ancient Land Rover, the solid metal kind.
He and an employeee brought them round, and I took them back in my car.
I parked the Transit on my neighbour's drive, (she was in Canada), about 50 cms from the side of the VW, and backed the Land Rover up, to about 25 cms from the VWs front bumper, so there was a brick wall one side of the VW, the Transit on the other side, and the Land Rover in front of it.
I then decided not to go back to work, and parked my car a few streets away.
About an hour later, the guys knocked on the door.
I had left my kid's baseball bat in clear view by the inside of the door, with absolutely no intention of using it, or threatening to.
When they asked to be let out, I just said, "Yeah, when I'm ready", and closed the door.
20 minutes later, the same 2 cops turned up, summoned by the 2 guys, they asked me to see reason, I said, "I don't think so", they just shrugged at the guys with the VW, and drove away.
I let them stew for about an hour, then moved the Land Rover.

Soldato
We used to have a very strange neighbour who would park his car on everyone elses driveway apart from his own. He parked on my drive once.
Another neighbour got a solicitor involved which stopped him. He's gone now as it turned out he was a wife beater and his mrs and kid were sent into one of those hidden houses away from him.

Soldato
You need to determine whether the road benefits from highway rights, and maintained at public expense.

Highway rights allows motorvehicles to use it unless otherwise restricted from doing so e.g. one way system. Similarly, vehicles are allowed to park unless restricted from doing so e.g. double yellow lines, unless it conflicts with other highway rules, such as obstruction of the highway etc...

As a rule of thumb all properties do own up to the centreline of the road, but highway rights overlays 'ontop' of this. The road can be owned by anyone, and it doesn't matter at all if it has highway rights.

It is more complicated if it is a private road owned by a developer...

(I am a Transport Planner unfortunately b

Soldato
Go out tell him to move. If he doesn't then I have several cars in the garage I will put on there as soon as he does drive somewhere. Simple. But I'd make his life very noisy and uncomfortable first by knocking at his door through the night.
lol, sounds like it's more trouble for you than him. shifting all your cars around, which will also inconvenience all the other neighbours you said you allowed to use the space. as for knocking on doors throught he night, that will probably just end up with you getting in trouble.

Man of Honour
lol, sounds like it's more trouble for you than him. shifting all your cars around, which will also inconvenience all the other neighbours you said you allowed to use the space. as for knocking on doors throught he night, that will probably just end up with you getting in trouble.
This is all hypothetical of course. But you seem to be suggesting I let him park on my driveway without me doing anything about it. That's quite an interesting perspective you have on life.

Soldato
Run out and get a ticket off a car, be interesting to see what's on there,

If he's making money from people actually paying these would that not have to be declared and go through a business not straight into his pocket / bank account?

Soldato
i'm far from doing that but i was interested in how you would deal w/ the matter. childishly, seems to be the response. i can understand kicking up most of the time, but if bad weather literally prevents people getting further your approach seems to be to then go out and block parking for everyone else and then harass someone thorugh the night who seemingly has no option to park elsewhere due to the snow. and you talk about MY "interesting perspective on life" lol.

Man of Honour
i'm far from doing that but i was interested in how you would deal w/ the matter. childishly, seems to be the response. i can understand kicking up most of the time, but if bad weather literally prevents people getting further your approach seems to be to then go out and block parking for everyone else and then harass someone thorugh the night who seemingly has no option to park elsewhere due to the snow. and you talk about MY "interesting perspective on life" lol.
As I stated he has been very rude to my wife. At that point in time he lost all favours from me.

In the hypothetical situation he needs to park on my driveway then you are suggesting I would be childish to not allow him to do so after being rude to my wife.

Personally I don't let people freely walk all over me. I happily allow all neighbours I to park there. But NOT someone that has been rude to my wife. If that is being childish then so be it. If you would choose to allow someone to take advantage of you in those circumstances then also so be it.

Back
Top Bottom