Wisconsin Company To (offer) Implant Microchips In Employees.

Caporegime
I was watching the news the other day and they were promoting biometric access to bank machines (eye scanning), you're bound to end up with cases like Demolition Man where Wesley Snipes gouges the guys eyeball out to gain access to the door. Have it implanted under your skin? they'll probably cut you open to remove it. I really don't understand the fuss around such things but I'm assuming the government loves the idea of having everyones biometric data on record and being able to track their movements possibility even in realtime.

Caporegime
i'm not objecting to the concerns of long term testing, simply putting forth the arguments that there has been significant long term "testing" albeit not within the very specific parameters of the op's thread but close enough to give a good indication that long term concerns have been rightly addressed and therefore are as minimal as can be practically achieved without actual human trials.

well that is dubious, you're referring to your hip replacements and pace makers again right? Yet these are not hip replacements or pace makers - how do you know this implantable chip is made to the same standards? Or are you referring to trials of these actual chips implanted in humans?

Caporegime
Ahh another inevitable realisation of a new class system once automation takes hold, only citizens will have jobs... everyone else will be civilians.

Citizens are above the law, civilians persecuted, man can't wait for this.

Soldato
well that is dubious, you're referring to your hip replacements and pace makers again right? Yet these are not hip replacements or pace makers - how do you know this implantable chip is made to the same standards? Or are you referring to trials of these actual chips implanted in humans?

i don't know for sure these are made to the same standards, hence my quotation for shrapnel in humans as that is blatantly not conforming to any medical standard and yet has been established to be of minor detriment to the long term function of the human body.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Soldato

Broken bones are fixed with plates and screws and left in forever. Your premise can be applied to anything in life, sunny delight, chemical air fresheners, bluetooth headsets, wireless routers. Can#t go worrying about everything or you#ll never get through life with your sanity left in one piece :p

Caporegime
Didn't read the story in the op, but I'm all for the cyber revolution.

I would like an NFC chip in my finger for buying stuff. Save me taking cards out all the time. Problem is I will only do it when upgrades are simple. I don't wanna keep getting bits ripped out of (me or left in) when something better comes along.

Click covered this recently

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-39982247/could-microchip-tagging-help-in-daily-life

Don't forget the criminal element, they might find it profitable to rip your limbs off if it gets that far.

Man of Honour
this is why it should always be a choice, i'm not going to debate the reasons why you dont want it, because i know full well they're valid.

personally i'd consider it, if it was offering me a considerable level of convenience, but i wouldn't want it forced on me

But of course it will be. Either by law or by custom. For example, if it becomes normal then people who refuse it will find it increasingly hard to get a job and will find it increasingly hard to use services of an increasing variety of kinds (because they will become more and more geared towards chipped people) and will face increasing suspicion due to the "you must have something to hide" idea. If being tracked everywhere you go by anyone who wants to track people is normal (RFID broadcasts indiscriminately, so any sensor will pick it up) then refusing it will be widely seen as legitimate grounds for suspicion. Authoritarian governments will of course push it, so the UK will be an early adopter. Business will of course push it so they can gather more data on more people because that data can be monetised.

Not next year. Probably not next decade. But some time and not too far in the future.

Caporegime
i don't know for sure these are made to the same standards, hence my quotation for shrapnel in humans as that is blatantly not conforming to any medical standard and yet has been established to be of minor detriment to the long term function of the human body.

but these are nothing like shrapnel, again it isn't the same thing thus the need for testing and frankly shrapnel can be rather dangerous

Broken bones are fixed with plates and screws and left in forever. Your premise can be applied to anything in life, sunny delight, chemical air fresheners, bluetooth headsets, wireless routers. Can#t go worrying about everything or you#ll never get through life with your sanity left in one piece :p

a bluetooth headset is rather different to something implanted in your body, the premise isn't the same

Soldato
a bluetooth headset is rather different to something implanted in your body, the premise isn't the same

No, its a technicality. The difference between on or inside your body is largely negligible. Bluetooth is a relatively new thing and long term exposure is largely undocumented. While the device may be external, do you know what signals and waves a taxi driver wearing a bluetooth headset on his ear is getting pulsed into his skull for 8+ hours a day?

You seem to enjoy repeatedly pointing out that implants are untested but you just repeat the same thing without offering up a solution to it. If people opt in to this implant scheme.... well, quite frankly so what? The people making them will pick materials that have been found to be safe or as safe as can be guessed to be and that's all anyone can do really.

Soldato

Exactly. Heck things like medicines and vaccines are potentially more dangerous than an inert encapsulated rfid chip lol! These chips aren't designed to mimic the body's own proteins, nor break down and traverse blood brain barriers and gut barriers, nor to induce biological/chemical changes, etc etc etc.

Worst thing which could happen is an immune response. But I have no idea if these chips are laced with some sort of immunosuppressant.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No, its a technicality. The difference between on or inside your body is largely negligible. Bluetooth is a relatively new thing and long term exposure is largely undocumented. While the device may be external, do you know what signals and waves a taxi driver wearing a bluetooth headset on his ear is getting pulsed into his skull for 8+ hours a day?

You seem to enjoy repeatedly pointing out that implants are untested but you just repeat the same thing without offering up a solution to it.

I'm only repeatedly pointing it out to people who keep quoting me with stupid arguments or attacking things I've not even said

If people opt in to this implant scheme.... well, quite frankly so what? The people making them will pick materials that have been found to be safe or as safe as can be guessed to be and that's all anyone can do really.

Well I've not said anything about other people or said other people shouldn't - so, so what indeed? I've pointed out that I'd not do so and gave my reasons, is that so hard to understand?

Soldato
I'm only repeatedly pointing it out to people who keep quoting me with stupid arguments or attacking things I've not even said

Well I've not said anything about other people or said other people shouldn't - so, so what indeed? I've pointed out that I'd not do so and gave my reasons, is that so hard to understand?
The reason people are "attacking you" is cause the argument you are presenting is utter garbage. Like hilariously bad. It's been completely torn to shreds.

The company offering the implant is called BioHax - implants is all they do and they have been doing it for years. I found this on their website: "As we are keen on quality and industry standard practices. We are therefore using the world's most passionate and experienced biometric chip implanter who combined with years of expertise and knowledge in the field have set the standard"

So if you want to know more about their standards get them on the horn and ask.

Furthermore they are offering this product in the US which is the home of medical lawsuits. If these things turn out to have serious medical consequences they'd be sued to the ground. So you can be sure they've put a lot of time effort and money into ensuring they are safe.

Caporegime
I was watching the news the other day and they were promoting biometric access to bank machines (eye scanning), you're bound to end up with cases like Demolition Man where Wesley Snipes gouges the guys eyeball out to gain access to the door. Have it implanted under your skin? they'll probably cut you open to remove it. I really don't understand the fuss around such things but I'm assuming the government loves the idea of having everyones biometric data on record and being able to track their movements possibility even in realtime.

Pretty sure you could make the atm able to tell between a living/dead eye.

But you have thst currently theres usually one story a year of somone being tortured to provide thier pin details.

And the government can already track you in real time.

Lots of people can, how do you think Google maps creates the majority of its traffic reports?

Caporegime

The FDA/other regulatory bodies testing of the chips will be what makes sure they're to standard

Caporegime
But of course it will be. Either by law or by custom. For example, if it becomes normal then people who refuse it will find it increasingly hard to get a job and will find it increasingly hard to use services of an increasing variety of kinds (because they will become more and more geared towards chipped people) and will face increasing suspicion due to the "you must have something to hide" idea. If being tracked everywhere you go by anyone who wants to track people is normal (RFID broadcasts indiscriminately, so any sensor will pick it up) then refusing it will be widely seen as legitimate grounds for suspicion. Authoritarian governments will of course push it, so the UK will be an early adopter. Business will of course push it so they can gather more data on more people because that data can be monetised.

Not next year. Probably not next decade. But some time and not too far in the future.

Rfid is **** for tracking people though due to short range.

And why bother with some crappy passive chip when 90% of the population carries round a camera, microphone, gps, fingerprint scanning, iris scanning, accelerometer and other sensors packed device that can communicate actively in a huge number of ways.

Soldato

true, but then the idea that you would always carry a device with a camera, location and microphone that could be used to snoop on you probably had the same kind of reception from some people in the early days.

but these are nothing like shrapnel, again it isn't the same thing thus the need for testing and frankly shrapnel can be rather dangerous

well its true that schrapnel can be dangerous, i mean that's kind of the point of it's existence is to be dangerous. my point is that there are cases of people who have schrapnel who have lived their entire lives without it being an issue, and that's just pure luck and materials that aren't exactly designed for being safe to implant (most obviously bullets- having lead stuck in your body for years).

if you can do it by accident with materials not designed to survive/be non-invasive to the human body then you sure as hell can do it with a designed implant properly located.

Soldato
I wonder how much it will cost them to move them from employees which have left the company. Probably a lot more than putting them in.

Back
Top Bottom