The day the feds came knocking...an old story...

Man of Honour
OP
That and the mine field and automated turrets of course!

I'm guessing these aren't your everyday opportunist thieves, sounds like they were very well organised (if a little stupid). Did the police ever get back to you with outcomes (sentences, how big the gang were etc)

2 got 4 years, 1 got 3 years and 1 got 18 months

Soldato
What I'd really like is a remote camera and cut off for these kind of thefts. Wait for the robbery to go down and then switch the car off :D

Man of Honour
Scary.

There was also a guy on here who had guys follow him, chase him, smash the window (IIRC) and then take the car with force. IIRC it was a Subura Forester or a Scooby estate.
That was ScoobyDoo69 and his Impreza STI

What I'd really like is a remote camera and cut off for these kind of thefts. Wait for the robbery to go down and then switch the car off :D

Fairly easy to do with an Arduino, a GPRS shield and a secondary relay to disable to fuel pump relay

Associate
Do worry about this sort of thing but the majority of thefts seem to be cars which are fast & practical (e.g. the S3 epidemic and RS6/RS4 thefts etc). More worried about when the time comes to replace the S2000, I'm thinking of a 335i touring to replace that.

Did you find the device before or after you realised what was happening?

Soldato
A lot of parts get stolen as well these days, just the parts. Quite a lot of bumpers get stolen off Ford STs. Especially around Essex (shocker I know).

Associate
A lot of parts get stolen as well these days, just the parts. Quite a lot of bumpers get stolen off Ford STs. Especially around Essex (shocker I know).
Sadly a product of the whole make lower spec cars look like the higher spec ones I think, although S2000's are having headlights and rear lights stolen as they go for a comparatively high price on ebay and the like

Sgarrista
Commissario
Thats like a story you hear of 3 hands down, but for it to happen to someone I know / have met is scary! Though I do now imagine housey living in some camo wrapped cabin :D

Man of Honour
OP
Let me try and make this clearer as all the questions seem to suggest people aren't joining the dots or I am useless at explaining stuff.

The police had made a raid on some premises where they suspected people were up to no good. This was nothing to do with my car or anything they knew at that time about my situation it was due to other stuff they were watching/doing/investigating at the time. During this raid they found cars in a state of breakdown and also some laptops. On those laptops they found some tracking software, which they accessed and at that point were able to see 2 cars being tracked, of which one was my RS4. At that point the police sought to locate those 2 cars and the owners so they could establish evidence of a tracking device. THIS is how the police go to me.

Added to this, they were able to establish in detail the movements of my car since the device was added and in doing so establish where it was added, Birmingham International Station where my car had been parked for 3 days. Worryingly they were also able to print off a junction by junction map (around 50 pages of A4) of my movements, speeds direction of travel, significant course changes. When they knocked on my door they had lost the track of the car (it was garaged) so were unsure it was mine, but the last reported location was on my drive, some 50 yards from my house. They asked some questions, I made them aware of some friends who had visited that weekend in high performance cars and that it might be them, but they felt it was someone who lived here, but we left it there.

About 1 hour later I got into my car, reversed it out of my garage and the pings started again on the devices the police had. My phone rang, the police officer dealing asked if I was in my car, which I confirmed I was and at that point we had strong suspicion it was my car. I parked it on the drive, officer turned up 30 minutes later and we then went in search of tracker, see pictures above. THAT is how we got from knowing nothing about it to knowing about it, which should be clear for you all now. I also arranged for a local garage to give me access to their ramp so we could get it up and have a proper look as the officer was struggling a little. During this time 2 traffic officers came in for a new tyre (Tax Evader it was your mate!) and I then had 3 officers all nosing over my car.

They also knew that on 2 occasions the criminals had tried to locate my car and had driven to where I lived or close by trying to locate my car, don't ask me how!! A neighbour also witnessed said people and reported it. None of this is secret information now as it's in the public domain after the court convictions and I knew all of this at the time and more which obviously I was not going to go into. The 4 perps were sent down not just for my car being tracked, there were other convictions too, mine was just added to the list.

Man of Honour
OP
Thats like a story you hear of 3 hands down, but for it to happen to someone I know / have met is scary! Though I do now imagine housey living in some camo wrapped cabin :D
I live in a small development built in the woods with a few other people.....but we all have our own cabin...I mean house.

Man of Honour
OP
The Po-po didn't mind the speeds on 'your roads' then? :)

First question I asked and there was a rye smile and a "we are not interested in that, I'm also sure it's not that accurate..."

Good as I came home via the M6 toll road late at night when it was empty....in an RS4.....on an empty road.....well, you do the math

Soldato
The speed on GPS tracking isn't that accurate on anything really. They tend to glitch every once in a while and give crazy readings. Which is probably why no one ever gets top marks on those insurance policies with GPS tracking :p

Soldato
Brilliant. I love stories like this.

So the police were able to see your car, or pinpoint it's location within 50 yards, was that using their equipment or the thieves? Just wondering why the theives were so bad at actually finding the car if the police were able to. Still puts the scares up you huh?

OcUK Staff
Good story buddy, only the bad part is the gits did not get long enough, should have being far longer, absolute total scum, the planet would be better off without them.

I know you, I know how fast the RS4 was and I know an empty toll road mean its maximum speed run time. :D

TS7

TS7

Soldato
What was the value of the RS4 at the time?

Trying to figure out at what value one should be scared, and hoping I'm too much of a pauper to ever worry about it.

Outright value has little to do with it. It's all about desirability and demand in the 'market' at the given time. I'd sleep more comfortably having a 200k Rolls Royce in my driveway than I would a 40k RS or S Spec performance Audi.

Man of Honour
First question I asked and there was a rye smile and a "we are not interested in that, I'm also sure it's not that accurate..."

Good as I came home via the M6 toll road late at night when it was empty....in an RS4.....on an empty road.....well, you do the math

Imagining you were a bald man named Mr Roy then :D

Back
Top Bottom