New speakers for PC - thoughts?

Associate
So I'm looking at Logitech's Z906 to replace my current 5.1 setup - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/logi...ker-system-500w-rms-980-000469-sp-099-lg.html

I've never spent more than £50-60 before on speakers but thought I may just push the boat out more on this occasion. I only ever use the PC for gaming and music mind, not movies TV etc.

Read good reviews on the above from a multitude of sources but was wondering just what difference the expensive ones would offer over a more budget system?
Also I've only ever used onboard audio, the last sound card I bought was for a rig in 1997... Seen lots of techie discussions and they all boil down to saying no, unless you're producing music a sound card these days isn't necessary.

Also noted the speakers were released in 2011, making me think other things are on the horizon... Whilst they may be I'm sure these Z906s will be a decent buy?

Thoughts?
I prefer to steer clear of headphones, just a personal preference.

Soldato
They will be better than the cheaper budget £50-£100 5.1 speakers. £300 is expensive for the Z906, but as this is a product that OcUK list, other competitors can't be mentioned, even if they are out of stock.

They are out of stock though, so at least I can say they can be had for £170, which is a good price. You'll have to use your own searching skills. ;) The price has fluctuated quite a bit with these over the last few years, with highs of near £300, meaning a £100 difference between lowest and highest. £170 is around what the Z5500 used to sell for, before the crazy price hikes and they were considered a great buy for gaming speakers. If you do mostly gaming, then I'd say they are certainly worth £170.

As for the age of speakers; 6 years is not that much at all really. The Z5500 were around 11 years before they were replaced with the Z906, so there won't be a replacement for a good while yet. To be honest, I do wonder if there will be a replacement at all in the coming years, as the choice of 5.1 PC speakers have seen a big decline over the last few years. Could be partially down to the increase of cheaper AV receiver and 5.1 speaker packages, which some people use for home cinema and gaming set up duties.

As for the sound card; if the onboard audio on your motherboard is one of the better ones, then I don't think there is any need for one. Sound cards are really better suited to gaming with headphones

Don
Could be partially down to the increase of cheaper AV receiver and 5.1 speaker packages, which some people use for home cinema and gaming set up duties.

If you don't mind spending a little more then something like:
https://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/DENO-AVRX520BT-BLK
https://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/DENO-SYS2020-BLK

Will be better than any pc speakers and the speakers can always be upgraded later, or the whole lot resold easily if you change your mind.

Soldato
Well yes, except that's not a little more. They are £180 more, so twice as much. Even the Yamaha YHT1810 is £130 more than the Z906, which may be sizeable chunk more money to spend for someone who may only usually spend £50 or so on speakers.

If the Z906 were £250 (which they have been in the past), then I'd certainly agree that spending the extra on something like the above is worth it. £170 is a good price for the Z906 though and enough cheaper than an AV receiver based system for them to be a good alternative. In my opinion of course. :)

Soldato
They're cheaper for a reason. AVR and standard speakers have many positives. A PC speaker system isn't a good alternative, it's a compromise and inferior in sound quality, build quality, components, connecitvity and upgradability.

Soldato
They're cheaper for a reason. AVR and standard speakers have many positives. A PC speaker system isn't a good alternative, it's a compromise and inferior in sound quality, build quality, components, connecitvity and upgradability.

So if one does not have the budget for more, they should just not bother with anything?

Associate
OP
Cheers for the info. I did notice them for the cheaper price elsewhere which is the reason I'm considering.
Just wondered if the triple price tag would have a noticeable difference over the budget £50-60 set. I would imagine so but then thought if a sound card was needed. Using on board sound on a Z97-K but happy to get a sound card if needed.

That other set shown from a different website could be an option, but the listed technical features appear inferior? Or am I being dumb?

Soldato
Cheers for the info. I did notice them for the cheaper price elsewhere which is the reason I'm considering.
Just wondered if the triple price tag would have a noticeable difference over the budget £50-60 set. I would imagine so but then thought if a sound card was needed. Using on board sound on a Z97-K but happy to get a sound card if needed.

That other set shown from a different website could be an option, but the listed technical features appear inferior? Or am I being dumb?

Not sure what you mean by the technical features of the Denon being inferior?

Unless of course you're looking at the speakers link thinking that's a complete system?

If that's the case, I can see why you might think that, as there are no specs for inputs etc. They are just the speakers. You need to connect them to an AV receiver as well, which is in the other link.

With PC 5.1 speakers in general, the electronics and amps are housed in the subwoofer. With home theatre separates systems, the speakers and subwoofer are just that; speakers. They connect to the AV receiver which houses the amps for the 5 speakers and electronics.

It does mean you've got to buy both, meaning around £350; which is twice the cost of the Z906. That's why I questioned in an above post (when this Denon system was suggested), whether someone who might normally spend £60 on PC speakers, could just spend an extra £180 over what the Z906 costs. To me, it sounded as if you were debating whether the Z906 is worth spending £170 on over the £60 set you currently have. It's one thing to consider spending £110 over what you may normally spend on speakers, but nearly £300 more, is quite another.

There are certainly good reasons to buy something like the Denon system, but the trouble with many of these type of threads is, people suggest what someone should buy, without really asking; what can be afforded?

Associate
OP
To me, it sounded as if you were debating whether the Z906 is worth spending £170 on over the £60 set you currently have

This.

This is the reason I came to this forum, wondering if triple the price is worth the better quality. I'm tempted to go for the Z906 today. But I'm a little boy at heart and when I see better, I want it... made getting my last rig hell as I kept upgrading everything a bit, then a lot, then over double the initial budget...

I think I'll give the separate setups a miss purely for the price standpoint though and I do have a decent home theatre system in the living room too,

Judging by reviews on loads of external sites and comments from some here I am leaning toward the Z906 over another budget 5.1 setup though.

Soldato
Well, I don't think there is any doubt that the Z906 is better. Over the Z506, I would say they are worth £170, because there is nothing else remotely close in quality for similar money. You've got to spend double that to get something better, which not everyone can afford to do.

£170 makes the Z906 affordable and sure, they aren't as good as something for £350, but they are enough cheaper to make them a viable alternative.

Back
Top Bottom