wok burners?

Man of Honour
anyone have a gas wok burner that they can use inside?
and any idea what btu or KW you actually need to get a proper stir fry.

seen this, but im not sure 3.8kw is enough? https://www.amazon.co.uk/NJ-NSD-11-...UTF8&qid=1502625479&sr=1-1&keywords=3.8kw+wok

have stir frys several times a week and want to up the game. Normal gas hob, is just well rubbish. I know you can get massive outside ones, with a giant propane bottle. But that seems to be going a bit far.

Also what's peoples opinions on best oyster sauce, most don't even seem to have oyster extract till well down the list, came across a Thai version that at least has 30% oyster extract and is first on the ingredient list, haven't tried it yet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009QLB...TF8&colid=243PHTF8RPVKL&coliid=I2I50E9926MIRI

Man of Honour
OP
i think it would be fine, got a reasonable extractor fan, just place that on top of the stove.
outside one isn't really practical anyway as i'm looking to buy a flat.

Soldato
what is your current burner then - the 3KW thats part of a typical (&my last) hob works fine with a higher heat capacity (cast iron creuset) woks ?
I can't toss the wok around, but once it's hot (>15min) it's hot.

The burner you linked looks precarious/dangerous for putting on a kicthen top - Wokking at nearer eye(lash-less) level too ?
would home insurance look kindly on it, plus it's propane cylinder

Man of Honour
OP
No, it's not enough. We've got a 6Kw wok burner on our hob (Neff T69S76NO) and that's not enough. The wok does get smoking hot but once you shuck the ingredients in the wok it cools down too much.

thnak's, but a shame.

and lol at jpaul and his safety/eyebrows how short are you that a counter top is at eye level.

Soldato
No, it's not enough. We've got a 6Kw wok burner on our hob (Neff T69S76NO) and that's not enough
is that a regular carbon steel wok ? .... with fairly low heat capacity/weight

and lol at jpaul and his safety/eyebrows how short are you that a counter top is at eye level.
;) I mean an additional 4" of height on the wok and perched on that burner - it probably comes close to a chip pan or homemade jam, for dangerous things on the hob,
a child pulling the propane lead would not be a good look to the judge either.
.. when you see some of the industrial/restaurant ones in far east, I think you put the after-burner on with a foot control when the wok is in the receiving hole

EDIT
Turbo wok cooker at StreetXO

http://www.FarEastWok.com
have proudly supplied and installed their CEFT turbo wok cooker at StreetXO in Mayfair, London. The 35 kW fan-assisted pre-mix wok burner is powerful but highly efficient and quiet. This particular unit is custom sized to allow near integration with the existing counters in their open kitchen. Chef Jonathan Setjo Sanz demonstrates.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
is that a regular carbon steel wok ? .... with fairly low heat capacity/weight

;) I mean an additional 4" of height on the wok and perched on that burner - it probably comes close to a chip pan or homemade jam, for dangerous things on the hob,
a child pulling the propane lead would not be a good look to the judge either.
.. when you see some of the industrial/restaurant ones in far east, I think you put the after-burner on with a foot control when the wok is in the receiving hole

wow 4 extra inches, again are you short, what lead its a self contained unit with the gas bottle inside. There is nothing unsafe about it.
and no children and you think a judge would prosecute for that, utter lol.

what you said was just ridiculous in every sense.

Soldato
wow 4 extra inches, again are you short, what lead its a self contained unit with the gas bottle inside. There is nothing unsafe about it.
and no children and you think a judge would prosecute for that, utter lol.

what you said was just ridiculous in every sense.

The one you linked is not self contained so has a hose to bottle, it’s not anywhere near powerful enough for a wok and he is closer to the truth than you are on some points raised. I would for example check insurance about using a standalone hob indoors with a gas bottle and if in a flat the leaseholders will also likely not allow it.

Man of Honour
OP
not really, these are made for indoors and there's a hell of a lot of people who use them indoors, most of youtube cooking vlogs for a start. these are in no way dangerous or self exploding.

Soldato
not really, these are made for indoors and there's a hell of a lot of people who use them indoors, most of youtube cooking vlogs for a start. these are in no way dangerous or self exploding.

Just because people do it doesnt make it safe, they are called ‘indoor’ stoves for campers and caravans - find one that is safety rated like a gas cooker is and come back to us same with regs in connecting and storing a bottle indoors.

They are dangerous indoors mainly through ignorance and that leads to all sorts of potential safety issues. Call you house insurance and ask them if you think we are being drama queens or something.

Soldato
It's the continuous use that makes it commercial - a lot of domestic stuff have duty cycles to prevent overheating. Also you have the wok shaped hole sunk into your hob? Fancy :) I've pondered with going that way with domino hobs but it all gets a bit expensive.

Soldato
There's no hole in the hob, there's a metal wok support that I can sit over the wok burner. The burner itself actually has 2 burners, a small one surrounded by a bigger one. The smaller burner is perfect for putting things on a low simmer. There's a beef rendang on it right now :)

It's this one we have.

Soldato
Having thought about it, the wok burner on my hob is probably just about good enough.

The wok does cool down quite a lot when you chuck food in but equally it gets absolutely screaming hot in not much time. I suppose I should have said that I would like it to be more powerful but it's probably about as good as you get for an integrated domestic hob.

If I had a heavier wok that would help as it would retain the heat but then it wouldn't be as easy to move about when cooking.

Back
Top Bottom