• Space Grey 256GB

Votes: 98 18.4%
  • I want one but it's too expensive

Votes: 125 23.5%
  • I'm not interested

Votes: 190 35.7%

• Total voters
Caporegime
That's all the reason you need, it's up to you what you spend your money on. For me a big thing is the design of the front and the fact it's an OLED screen. I dumped a perfectly good LCD/LED TV to get an OLED one and don't regret it one bit. :D

I haven't decided if I'm getting one yet, the flexibility of 'Face ID' will swing it possibly. I'm on a 6s Plus at the moment which is fine and skipped the 7 for the reasons you've said, but the X is a good step up in some areas.

I've done the same recently on the TV front but I still get wow moments with the OLED TV, not sure I've ever had that from a phone tbh.

I'm on a 6 so I've got as good a reason as most to upgrade but I still think what would the X really do for me even if used it all day.

Not all of us want new and shiny. Example - I purchased a nice German made car 12 years ago this month. I've looked after it, it's never let me down and it still looks like new. Why would I want to dash out and change something that continues to offer me such good service? A new iPhone bought today should last the user at the very least five or six years of useful life. Just think how much better off people would be financially if they adopted a similar approach.

So you'd turn down a nice new German car? I'm not talking about rational thinking here or calculating finances, consumerism wasn't built on that, it's always been how well you can market something people don't need or already have to get them to buy. I think most of us here are quite logical and not reckless with money but we still want it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Exactly that! Just...

No FaceID
No Force touch
No OLED
No HDR
No Wireless Charging
No quick charging
No full screen display
No dual cameras
No water resistance

But other than that, and probably lots of other things I've missed off the top of my head. Yes, exactly the same

Galaxy can do all of these for less. The old chestnut of iOS v Android or MacOS v Windows 10 is now a long dead issue. They all do the same job with equal competence. Apple are simply fleecing their customer base, it's as simple as that. I'll hang onto my iPhone 7 until the wheels drop off.

Last edited:
Soldato
Galaxy can do all of these for less. The old chestnut of iOS v Android or MacOS v Windows 10 is now a long dead issue. The all do the same job with equal competence. Apple are simply fleecing their customer base, it's as simple as that. I'll hang onto my iPhone 7 until the wheels drop off.

I disagree. There already 2 videos in this thread showing how much faster iOS is over Android.

I just prefer iOS hence I stick with them.

Soldato
So you'd turn down a nice new German car? I'm not talking about rational thinking here or calculating finances, consumerism wasn't built on that, it's always been how well you can market something people don't need or already have to get them to buy. I think most of us here are quite logical and not reckless with money but we still want it.

The day I purchased my car I started saving for the next one. I had the money to buy that car 'ten years ago', so the answer is YES, I would turn down a nice new car. However, I'm not sentimental, the minute I get the nod from my local mechanic that I could be facing some big bills is the day I will get rid. I like nice things but I'm never swayed by hype, I'm probably a salesperson's worst nightmare.

I don't dispose of things until they are either worn out or I can donate them (whilst they have some useful life left) to a worthy cause. My parents always taught me that a fool and his money are soon parted.

Soldato
Yea but those apps dont exist yet and thats why i said hardware is way ahead of software. You cant even max out the performance of an iphone 7 yet nevermind a X.

I can guarantee that even Facebook hits 100% single core utilisation on the iPhone 7.

There’s plenty of games that push modern smartphones to their limits and that’s only going to increase over the next 12 months.

Man of Honour
OP
A genuinely shocking admission. You could at the very least have donated it to an organisation such as the British Heart Foundation who would have been glad to receive it and sell it on

Steady on, I didn't bin it, it's in the bedroom now. The point being I chose to upgrade rather than it being necessary... and I could have got a perfectly serviceable TV for a third of the price.

Galaxy can do all of these for less. The old chestnut of iOS v Android or MacOS v Windows 10 is now a long dead issue. The all do the same job with equal competence. Apple are simply fleecing their customer base, it's as simple as that. I'll hang onto my iPhone 7 until the wheels drop off.

A very simplistic view and highly debatable to say the least.

Not everything you do has to be purely about value - it's up to you what you spend your hard earned money on. For some it's a phone, for others it's expensive holidays, computers, cars, houses, the list goes on.

Soldato
I disagree. There already 2 videos in this thread showing how much faster iOS is over Android.

I just prefer iOS hence I stick with them.
Seriously - an odd millisecond here and there. Computer manufacturers have been using this old trick for the last 30 years or so and still some users are taken in by it. Whenever I have asked people to define in detail why the prefer iOS to Android I've yet to hear an assessment that stands up to scrutiny.

Man of Honour
OP
Seriously - an odd millisecond here and there. Computer manufacturers have been using this old trick for the last 30 years or so and still some users are taken in by it. Whenever I have asked people to define in detail why the prefer iOS to Android I've yet to hear an assessment that stands up to scrutiny.

There are many reasons people have listed over the last few pages of the thread, if you choose to disregard them it's your choice. It doesn't make them any less valid.

Soldato
It feels almost unusable when you're used to a Plus model.

It's simply a matter of what you're used to. Imagine if you will a 12 inch monochrome TV with a magnifier on the front. That's what I grew up with and to us it was perfectly 'normal'.

S8 plus mate lol or note 8 or one plus 5

You're wasting your time. You've heard of 'beer goggles' some of these posters have got 'apple goggles'. ;)

Caporegime

Some people prefer rear wheel drives over front wheel drive cars. Some people prefer paying for first class plane tickets.

I recall you thought the iPad was a fad and will bomb...that assessment certainly doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Soldato
My video showed way more than the odd millisecond..

As to why I prefer iOS, it’s simple. It’s the fastest most supported mobile OS.

I own an Apple Watch, iPad, MacBook Pro and Apple TV and they all work together so seamlessly.

I get a phone call, I can answer it on whichever device I’m using, be that my iPad, Watch or Mac.

The same goes for if I get a text message.

FaceTime is seamless and built in.

Apple actually has a retail presence for support, most issues can be resolved quickly or you can walk out with a new device very quickly.

OS support is the best in the industry, they are only just stopping support for the iPhone 5 which came out in 2012!

Backup and restore is seamless and easy.

When Android can compete with all of that then perhaps I’ll take it seriously.

Soldato
The S8 has half the performance of the iPhone X according to the benchmarks and doesn’t have the same build quality.

The nearest competitor is Essential’s new phone and the price tag for that is $1200.

Blimey, give it a rest, where are you getting this stuff from. :rolleyes:

Some people prefer rear wheel drives over front wheel drive cars. Some people prefer paying for first class plane tickets.

I recall you thought the iPad was a fad and will bomb...that assessment certainly doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

I note Notebooks are selling again in good numbers whilst tablet sales keep decreasing. I don't see what any of that has got to do with the price of bread though.

Caporegime
What I like about Touch ID is there is a physical action I am doing to unlock the phone, I am placing the full finger over the sensor. With Face ID, how do I even know if it's doing the scanning. Or do you keep moving it closer to the minimum angle until it unlocks. When it doesn't, do you know if it's because you got that back eye from last night?

I note Notebooks are selling again in good numbers whilst tablet sales keep decreasing. I don't see what any of that has got to do with the price of bread though.

The point is different people prioritise different things and clearly they all sell and they are all valid, even the over priced iPhone X. So it stands up to scrutiny just fine.

Man of Honour
OP
You're wasting your time. You've heard of 'beer goggles' some of these posters have got 'apple goggles'. ;)

Same as those anti-Apple goggles then? You've made your position very clear and won't consider counter arguments, so I'm not sure what's left to say...

I expect you'll be in the Motors forum soon telling people who own cars over £100k that they're mugs, I'm sure they won't lose any sleep over it. :p

Back
Top Bottom