I went back to Apple Mac - my thoughts

Soldato
After trying many premium windows laptops, and having some pretty poor experiences, I gave up looking for a mac equivalent. I knew I was never going to find one. And after selling my 2014 13 inch pro at way less than what I could have got for it (underpriced it - just wasn't selling locally), I was feeling pretty gutted. The mac equivalent of the XPS 15 (the closest competitor) was around £700 more expensive. Albeit for a 1440p screen etc.

However, after using a little bit of my student loan to cover the increased cost, and finding an exceptional deal on a maxed out 15 inch 2017 for 1.8K, I went back to Apple. And well, it's night and day difference.

From the moment you turn on the machine, it screams quality. It's really, really well put together (unlike the Dell), and it just works. No fiddling with anything, no driver messing, no support chat. Just download Chrome, and go.

Battery life has been solid so far. After downloading all my apps and updates and a bit of web browsing (half an hour so far), I've lost 9%. Pretty good to me.

Trackpad is huge, but doesn't get in the way. Palm rejection seems solid (better than the Dell, at least).

Keyboard is, well it's okay. I don't hate it, but the one on the XPS was much nicer.

It's really confirmed my belief that MacOS is the superior OS for laptops, and that Apple kit is arguably worth the price premium, at least on their laptops (Samsung also make well built phones, for example).

Would I spend 2.7K on this machine? No.

But is it worth the ~2K you can get it as an import? Every. Single. Day.

Questions?

Associate
Are they nice machines? Yeah, when new.

Hope you ordered the 16GB model because if you didn't, I hope you have another 2 grand in 2 years time, and even then 16GB is going to be on the small side.

Will the upgrade for my 2012 MBP be another MBP? Not a chance in hell. This machine started life as a 4GB RAM/500GB/Superdrive machine, the only reason it's still kicking is due to the simplicity of upgrading it to a 16GB/240SSD/3TB machine as technology progressed.

I spent an absolute bucketload on this machine when new, but imagine if it still had 4GB of RAM and a 500GB mechanical drive. Man.

Soldato
I went from a Dell XPS to a MBP. On paper, the XPS was a better machine (carbon fibre, i7 CPU, yada, yada) but the MBP just stomps all over it. The all metal build is far superior to anything else out there, the screen is sublime but the biggest killer app (imho) is Mac OS. Windows was atrocious. No matter how good PC manufacturers make their hardware, they will be crippled by the crapness of Windows.

Soldato
OP

Hope you ordered the 16GB model because if you didn't, I hope you have another 2 grand in 2 years time, and even then 16GB is going to be on the small side.

Will the upgrade for my 2012 MBP be another MBP? Not a chance in hell. This machine started life as a 4GB RAM/500GB/Superdrive machine, the only reason it's still kicking is due to the simplicity of upgrading it to a 16GB/240SSD/3TB machine as technology progressed.

I spent an absolute bucketload on this machine when new, but imagine if it still had 4GB of RAM and a 500GB mechanical drive. Man.

Only comes in 16GB model. Don't need any more. This machine will be roughly as powerful as my desktop, other than for gaming

Soldato
I decided last year to go with the top spec dell XPS 15 9550, and have just sold it (not used it for about 4 months, went back to my 2012 MBP). I just couldnt get on with it and there were little things that were just annoying to me (trackpad, sleep/hibernation issues, general windows issues)

So I'm facing the issue now of trying to survive on my 2012 mbp while I wait for the next gen of mbp to come out with (hopefully!) 32Gb of RAM

Caporegime

Really? I’m still using a 2011 MacBook Air (4GB RAM) and it’s still good. Obviously if I was doing intensive video/photo work then perhaps not, but then that’s the same issue with every laptop no matter what the OS.

For running OS X and everyday use there’s no issue however. The biggest upgrade for your machine will be the mob from a mechanical drive to SSD, again no different to any other OS.

Soldato
I went from a Dell XPS to a MBP. On paper, the XPS was a better machine (carbon fibre, i7 CPU, yada, yada) but the MBP just stomps all over it. The all metal build is far superior to anything else out there, the screen is sublime but the biggest killer app (imho) is Mac OS. Windows was atrocious. No matter how good PC manufacturers make their hardware, they will be crippled by the crapness of Windows.

The Windows v MacOS argument is totally irrelevant in 2017 as they are both good operating systems with virtually nothing to separate them. I say that as a long time user of OS X. You're ten years late to the party.

Associate

This! I had a 2013 I7 with 8GB of RAM and dedicated graphics. Plenty of random reboots, laggy as hell and I'm still scarred from the heat of the god damned thing. Not to mention dat epic screen burn, I've seen nothing like it.

Soldato
The Windows v MacOS argument is totally irrelevant in 2017 as they are both good operating systems with virtually nothing to separate them. I say that as a long time user of OS X. You're ten years late to the party.

That’s your opinion which you’re entitled to. Mine is that Windows is an unusuable abomination compared to MacOS and Linux.

Soldato
OP

I disagree, for laptops. Software optimisations on MacOS make it a much more user friendly OS for computing when not connected to mains.

For a desktop, I prefer windows. I can do more on it.

But battery and performance for day to day tasks is easier, and much much quicker, on my i7 7820HQ compared to my 6700K @ 4.4GHz desktop (both on 500GB SSDs). On my desktop, however, I can game, do more with the software, have access to more apps etc.

Soldato
That’s your opinion which you’re entitled to. Mine is that Windows is an unusuable abomination compared to MacOS and Linux.

Well I suppose 1 billion users may well disagree. Can you provide technical detail for why you think this. As I said as a user of both I find that these days there's little to separate the two. I would say the same applies for iOS and Android - again I use both.

I disagree, for laptops. Software optimisations on MacOS make it a much more user friendly OS for computing when not connected to mains.

For a desktop, I prefer windows. I can do more on it.

But battery and performance for day to day tasks is easier, and much much quicker, on my i7 7820HQ compared to my 6700K @ 4.4GHz desktop (both on 500GB SSDs). On my desktop, however, I can game, do more with the software, have access to more apps etc.

Well I only ever use a Desktop. We own a Laptop but rarely use it. I don't like any Laptop, whatever the OS and refer to them as 'the device of last resort'. That is however just my personal opinion, as I have no real use for a mobile solution such as a Laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Well I suppose 1 billion users may well disagree. Can you provide technical detail for why you think this. As I said as a user of both I find that these days there's little to separate the two. I would say the same applies for iOS and Android - again I use both.

1 billion users who don’t have a choice...

Windows 10 still suffers from the errors made in Windows 8. There are STILL two control panels for handling Windows settings, STILL two user interfaces to learn (Modern and standard UI), STILL a confusing car crash of methods necessary to display basic info such as network connections. Then there’s the constant stream of updates and reminders to update that interfere with actually trying to work on your machine...

Permabanned
After trying many premium windows laptops, and having some pretty poor experiences, I gave up looking for a mac equivalent. I knew I was never going to find one.

I thought the same after I had used a 15" rMBP for years and OSX was annoying me.

I tried the XPS15... hated it and sold it after a month.

Then I got a Razer Blade 14... it's the windows version of the MBP... same awesome build quality, great trackpad, great keyboard, great screen, no palm rejection issues like the Dell... etc

There are others worth considering too, like the Microsoft Surface Book / Surface Laptop - these also have very good build quality.

It's now better than the latest Macbook Pro models because the newest MBP keyboard suck donkey danglies. The keyboard on the Blade surpasses my previous favourite, the MBP silver keyboard from a few years ago.

You can also get a new one with better spec than the Macbook for £1800... with the 256GB SSD... I then upgraded it with a 1TB 960 Evo which really brought it to life.

Soldato
1 billion users who don’t have a choice...

Windows 10 still suffers from the errors made in Windows 8. There are STILL two control panels for handling Windows settings, STILL two user interfaces to learn (Modern and standard UI), STILL a confusing car crash of methods necessary to display basic info such as network connections. Then there’s the constant stream of updates and reminders to update that interfere with actually trying to work on your machine...

Control panel is now pretty well hidden so not really relevant, settings are accessed in one area. I'm not sure what you mean when you say two user interfaces to learn either. I use the Desktop and that is all I require, I don't need to learn anything else. Certainly Windows updates can now be installed at a time of your choosing. On the Mac side there are also a number of ways you can achieve the same result so again I'm at a loss.

Soldato
OP
I thought the same after I had used a 15" rMBP for years and OSX was annoying me.

I tried the XPS15... hated it and sold it after a month.

Then I got a Razer Blade 14... it's the windows version of the MBP... same awesome build quality, great trackpad, great keyboard, great screen, no palm rejection issues like the Dell... etc

There are others worth considering too, like the Microsoft Surface Book / Surface Laptop - these also have very good build quality.

It's now better than the latest Macbook Pro models because the newest MBP keyboard suck donkey danglies. The keyboard on the Blade surpasses my previous favourite, the MBP silver keyboard from a few years ago.

You can also get a new one with better spec than the Macbook for £1800... with the 256GB SSD... I then upgraded it with a 1TB 960 Evo which really brought it to life.

I did consider the blade, but have seem some quality control issues, and their customer service record hasn't been great. I've dealt with too many poor companies, so I just wanted a laptop that worked. Plus, 14 inch screen was too small for me - 15 inches with small bezels is perfect

Permabanned
Fair enough, it's the resolution I care about - I don't like anything less than a usable area of 1920x1080 and can handle that down to a 13" screen.

The standard scaling out of the box on the 15" rMBP is only a usable 1400x900 resolution.

Always try to remember you are more likely to hear complaints than compliments... so you'll have a few people make a lot of fuss about an issue, whereas most users without an issue will not even think to comment about it. They wouldn't be able to stay in business if these problems were significant and mine, for one example, was great out of the box.

Man of Honour
The newer keyboard on the macbook is a stumbling block for me. I loved the old one but just can't get along with the new one yet. A macbook with a ThinkPad keyboard would be heaven :)

Associate
I've actually just bought my first ever Apple computer, and have started using it for the first time a couple of days ago.

A little back story as to how this came about. At home, I was primarily using an iPad (2017). In terms of usage, this was effectively my main machine (I do also have a Win10 gaming desktop in my office but that sees a lot less use).

So, I had some gripes with the iPad. Three gripes, mainly:-

1. Typing on a touch screen simply sucks compared with a proper keyboard.
2. On screen targets are often too small to hit with my sausage fingers.
3. Tablets are still on the restrictive side compared with proper computers.

So, I knew I needed to upgrade. My first thought was to go with a 12.9" iPad Pro. Lovely bit of kit. Would probably have addressed points 1 and 2 with the optional keyboard, pencil and larger screen. However, it's still "just" a tablet, and the price for a cut-down computer prohibitively high. At that point, I felt that if I was going to spend that much, it would have to be a laptop.

So I began looking at 2-in-1 Windows 10 convertibles. But you know what, I just couldn't get excited about them. I work in IT, so I know how flakey and unreliable these machines can be, and well, what can I say, Windows just doesn't get me excited. I mean yes, there's very little it can't do, but it's not a particularly nice thing to use, and in my line of work, I just get to see problems. I didn't much want to be reminded of work when I'm supposed to play.

Anyway, a MacBook Air came up at a very reasonable price at work, and I've gone for it. Nice spec (i7, 8Gb, 250Gb SSD). Upgraded it to the latest OS from Mountain Lion. At the price I paid, it doesn't have to replace the iPad, it can compliment it.

Well what can I say, I'm hooked already. I feel that people who state Windows is just as good because it can complete the same tasks as OSX, possibly more so in fact, are completely missing the point. OSX is simply refined and pleasant to use in a way Windows has never been. In fact, although it may not be possible to do quite as much in OSX, I'd bet most users could accomplish all of the tasks they would need on it, but in return, OSX offers a far superior all round experience for me. Everything from the way it looks, to how robust it is. The hardware itself is beautifully built and executed.

I'm now asking myself why it took me so long. It just makes Windows feel like the BETA that it is - it just looks and feels so amateurish and unfinished by comparison. I am so impressed, I am honestly considering going all on-board. As an IT Pro, I have no choice but to remain with Windows at work, but when I go home, I want things to 'just work', and I don't want to be reminded of work either - this was Microsoft's big downfall for me. I don't really enjoy using my desktop machine as much as I should because I look at it and see a hugely flawed 'tool' that works but just looks ugly and is boring to use, albeit clinically effective.

Anyone who thinks Windows works just as well is kidding themselves. After 20 years in the industry, it's always been, well, a bit crap really. Windows 7 was their best stab at it yet. Windows 10 is improving but still has a hell of a long way to go, and knowing the way they do things, they will never truly catch up, as they seem more intent on adding new features than actually fixing bugs and making for a pleasant experience. I'm just tired of this now. This for me is where Apple excel. They may not actually be innovating hugely unlike Google and even MS, but what they do is make the core experience much more polished and pleasant.

Sorry about the essay but honestly, I am very impressed even after 2 days. I went into it with an open mind and I am so glad that I did.

Commissario
I feel that people who state Windows is just as good because it can complete the same tasks as OSX, possibly more so in fact, are completely missing the point. OSX is simply refined and pleasant to use in a way Windows has never been. In fact, although it may not be possible to do quite as much in OSX, I'd bet most users could accomplish all of the tasks they would need on it, but in return, OSX offers a far superior all round experience for me. Everything from the way it looks, to how robust it is. The hardware itself is beautifully built and executed.

I'm now asking myself why it took me so long. It just makes Windows feel like the BETA that it is - it just looks and feels so amateurish and unfinished by comparison. I am so impressed, I am honestly considering going all on-board. As an IT Pro, I have no choice but to remain with Windows at work, but when I go home, I want things to 'just work', and I don't want to be reminded of work either - this was Microsoft's big downfall for me. I don't really enjoy using my desktop machine as much as I should because I look at it and see a hugely flawed 'tool' that works but just looks ugly and is boring to use, albeit clinically effective.

Anyone who thinks Windows works just as well is kidding themselves. After 20 years in the industry, it's always been, well, a bit crap really. Windows 7 was their best stab at it yet. Windows 10 is improving but still has a hell of a long way to go, and knowing the way they do things, they will never truly catch up, as they seem more intent on adding new features than actually fixing bugs and making for a pleasant experience. I'm just tired of this now. This for me is where Apple excel. They may not actually be innovating hugely unlike Google and even MS, but what they do is make the core experience much more polished and pleasant.

This pretty much sums it up for me as well. I appreciate what Faustus says in that it's personal preference but I've never been a fan of Windows, even when I used it all the time at home. I've been in the industry for a long time, well over thirty years now and remember Windows when it first appeared. I preferred using DOS then (perhaps this is why I love playing around with Raspberry Pis) and I far prefer MacOS now.

Back
Top Bottom