The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Soldato
Where are the comparisons showing the Canon 35 is sharper to warrant its extra cost?

For the intended use, I can do everything with the 6D2 I would otherwise be able to do with the 5D4 but for over £1000 less. No point spending extra money on something that won't be of extra benefit.
I'm not sure you need to explain why you bought it, you take enough shots to know what you want and need

Soldato
Where are the comparisons showing the Canon 35 is sharper to warrant its extra cost?

For the intended use, I can do everything with the 6D2 I would otherwise be able to do with the 5D4 but for over £1000 less. No point spending extra money on something that won't be of extra benefit.
have a google.

plus re read what i said. i said the improvements dont warrant the price difference..

im sure you can do everything on a rebel camera.

Point is, the 5d4 offers more then just 4k.. That is my point

Caporegime
The new Canon 35L mkii is not just the best 35mm on Canon but arguably best 35mm ever made, Zeiss included, optically it is the best. It's built quality inside too is one of those that is "over engineered". The down side is that it comes at a price, 3x the price of the Sigma, it is not 3x better than the Sigma but it is better.

As for the 6D, no point really pushing other cameras now as it's been bought, if it does what you need doing then it's all that matters. (Although I would have opted for the Sony A7Sii, the low light video performance of that I believe is still class leading)

Read this below on how it's built inside.

https://wordpress.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/12/canon-35mm-f1-4-mk-ii-teardown/

Soldato
The new Canon 35L mkii is not just the best 35mm on Canon but arguably best 35mm ever made, Zeiss included, optically it is the best. It's built quality inside too is one of those that is "over engineered". The down side is that it comes at a price, 3x the price of the Sigma, it is not 3x better than the Sigma but it is better.

As for the 6D, no point really pushing other cameras now as it's been bought, if it does what you need doing then it's all that matters. (Although I would have opted for the Sony A7Sii, the low light video performance of that I believe is still class leading)

Read this below on how it's built inside.

https://wordpress.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/12/canon-35mm-f1-4-mk-ii-teardown/
+1.

In a nutshell the Canon is a better lens and for video 1080p there are better cheaper alternatives out there than the 6d2.

Man of Honour
Ah I actually forgot there was a 35mm MkII, yeah in that case I agree, but still stand by the price difference opinion!

have a google.

plus re read what i said. i said the improvements dont warrant the price difference..

im sure you can do everything on a rebel camera.

Point is, the 5d4 offers more then just 4k.. That is my point

It is also £2000 more expensive.

There are cheaper alternatives for 1080p 60fps for video, but they don't mate up alongside a 5D3 either.

As I first said, it's a companion camera to the 5D3 for when I shoot video and also want a flip up screen on another body that is very close to the 5D3 (settings, menus, button layout etc etc). Plus lens sharing of course.

I'm assuming you think this was an impulse purchase or something, which it certainly wasn't!

The 5D3 will be upgraded, but not until my skills exceed its capabilities. At that point I guess whatever 1D body is out will be the one to have a genuine upgrade to.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm actually extremely curious about the 35mm mkii (maybe it's a good thing this chat came up lol). So much so I've ordered one so I can compare side by side on a wedding coming up. If the wide open keeper rate of the Canon is greater than the Sigma, then I'll keep it. A higher percentage of keepers from a set of photos on a job means the lens pays for itself in a short span of time anyway. That's a wise investment :p

I know both are extremely sharp, but wide open at longer distances, Sigma's HSM AF isn't as accurate as USM on wide angle lenses, at least not as close to 100% of the time anyway (I tend to servo AF for those shots anyway which works with a few burst shots to get that "keeper"). The Sigma 85mm 1.4 however is nearly 100% on AF success I find!

Caporegime
Mine will be less if I keep it once I've sold the Sigma.

It's gone down a bit since the summer. I paid £1634 from Amazon - £150 cash back. It's now £1584.00

Side note, I have noticed that CPS won't register serial numbers not from the UK, at least with bodies (5D4), but my 5D3 registered fine before, I have not tried to register grey import lenses though.

Look at the CA…or lack of it.

7ef2vJk.jpg

Pix8pJs.jpg

Soldato
Just got K & F concept tripod. Not entirely convinced it's money well spent from unboxing. Camera can be mounted above and below and has a second ball to lay the arm horizontally for flay lay which is partly why I got it. Also has a leg that detaches for monopoly.

Where do you all host images for here?

Soldato
It's gone down a bit since the summer. I paid £1634 from Amazon - £150 cash back. It's now £1584.00

Side note, I have noticed that CPS won't register serial numbers not from the UK, at least with bodies (5D4), but my 5D3 registered fine before, I have not tried to register grey import lenses though.

Look at the CA…or lack of it.

7ef2vJk.jpg

Pix8pJs.jpg
marvalous

I am hoping Sony can update there existing 35mm to match the Canon.

Although samyang have just announced there 35mm 1.4 version and it looks to be a steller lens

Permabanned
Sigma high end lenses are sharper and cheaper than Canon's in the same class. So I'll stick with them until that changes :p

5D IV is nearly double the price but only gaining 4K recording as the benefit for my uses, that's not efficient investing when everything else I use is 1080p @ 60fps, so I got what does the best job for the price for its intended use!

5D IV also does not have a flip out screen.

The Canon 35mm MK2 to is a better lens by miles compared to the Sigma Art, CA and resolution and just general rendering are far superior...

The sensor in the 5DIV far exceeds the sensor in the 6DM2, add in 4k, better build and AF and it is worth the extra £1K I paid over the 6DM2...

Don't forget that downsampling 4k to 1080p gives a miles better video image than standard 1080p...

Permabanned
Precisely, was more a response to the comment "Should have gone for the 5DIV". Why pay more for something just because it's better, even though you won't be utilising the better aspects of it :p

At the end of the day you could not afford the 5DIV or else you would have purchased it! So cut the waffle!

Associate
The Canon 35mm MK2 to is a better lens by miles compared to the Sigma Art, CA and resolution and just general rendering are far superior...

The sensor in the 5DIV far exceeds the sensor in the 6DM2, add in 4k, better build and AF and it is worth the extra £1K I paid over the 6DM2...

Don't forget that downsampling 4k to 1080p gives a miles better video image than standard 1080p...

A load of fan boy nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom