tweedbean's Garage Makeover

Associate
Hi everyone, I am looking for some inspiration for my single garage. Have a few ideas that I want to share and get feedback on before I pull the trigger. Below is an update of where I am right now.

Spec wise its roughly 6mx2.6m single garage with a concrete floor. It has plug sockets near the up and over door and a light switch either end for a single centrally mounted batten strip light.

Here are some pictures taken when we first moved in:

Garage before shots by James Baker, on Flickr

Here is the exterior of the garage. I want to build my own car port in front of the garage to cover my daily driver, thats a project for late 2018:

Garage before shots by James Baker, on Flickr

Not the most spectacular of garage, especially over the massive double garage we had in our old house, however we chose area and size of house/drive over a double garage. So I want to make the most of garage I have which will be used to store my fun weekend/track toy:

Industrial Park Shots by James Baker, on Flickr

R53 by James Baker, on Flickr

My R53 at Curborough July 2017 by James Baker, on Flickr

Associate
OP
Anyway back to the garage. I started off by sealing the floors with a water/PVA glue mix to reduce the dust.

Next I painted the walls with a white paint to brighten it up in there.

Untitled by James Baker, on Flickr

After about 3 coats, I added some temp storage until I decided what I wanted in there:

Found this dumped in a field, which I have cleaned up and want to mount on the wall in the garage:

Associate
OP
Next up I want to board the ceiling up properly and paint that white aswell. I have access to a load of free wood to do this, so it isnt going to cost me anything. That should tidy up the ceiling area which is ugly right now:

I also want to increase the lighting so going to look at some bright LED lights to add light at both ends aswell as the middle of the garage.

Associate
OP
Floor wise, I was looking at Plasfloor tiles, in a red and black check taking inspiration from the colours in that sign, something like this:

18920542_1470474193027923_3717246315784659743_n.jpg

Associate
i have the plasfloor tiles, brilliant they are! spilt oil, coolant etc on them. very hard wearing and easy to clean.
when jacking up the car i just put a bit of cardboard under the jack as sharp edges can damage the tiles when all that weight is on a small area.

Associate
OP
i have the plasfloor tiles, brilliant they are! spilt oil, coolant etc on them. very hard wearing and easy to clean.
when jacking up the car i just put a bit of cardboard under the jack as sharp edges can damage the tiles when all that weight is on a small area.

That's good to hear, I need to get hold of the wood for the ceiling and get that painted and fitted, then im tackling the floor. I know scoobydoo69 on here also has Plasfloor tiles and provided similar feedback.

Associate
OP
Decided I wanted to insulate the garage door to warm it up a little bit and remove the drafts.

I went for a very cheap solution using the following:

2x JABLITE FLOOR INSULATION 2400MM 1200MM 25MM =£14
http://www.diy.com/departments/jablite-floor-insulation-2400mm-1200mm-25mm/26822_BQ.prd

1x Utility Duct Tape Silver & Black 48mmx15m - 8 pack = £6
https://www.homebase.co.uk/utility-duct-tape-silver-black-48mmx15m-8-pack_p400152

1x Thermawrap General Purpose Wrap Single 600mm x 7.5m = £9.99
https://www.homebase.co.uk/thermawrap-general-purpose-wrap-single-600mm-x-7-5m_p407457

Garage door insulation by James Baker, on Flickr

Gave the door a quick clean on the inside:

Associate
OP
I taped up the joins down the edges on the inside of the door as there was air getting through. I then cut the jablite polystyrene panels with a sharp knife. Cut very easy and cut to such a tight fit they hold themselves in place without any adhesive.

I taped up all the joins and around the edge to ensure it was as airtight as I could get it.

I had to stop for the night however tomorrow I will be using the thermawrap to cover the panels and add another layer of insulation.

Interested to see what impact this has.

Oh and I also slipped pipe lagging across the bottom edge of the door. These are again held on with pressure and bridge the small gap between the floor and the door. They cant be seen from the outside which is also a bonus.

Soldato
Looks good, I've got the same locking mechanism on mine to work around. That's one very clean garage door, ours is covered in webs and critters guarding the entrance :o

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Looking good, makes a fair bit of difference having the insulation. Well worth doing the ceiling too when you get it boarded up. Chuck some cheep loft insulation in there and you're good :)

Associate
I've been meaning to paint my garage white for years! Next year for sure ;).

It's a shame you've already done your garage door, I'd recommend an electric roller door for a few reasons. When your existing garage door is up it blocks a lot of light from the ceiling lights - fine when it's down but irritating when it's up! Also if the roller door can be installed in the inside frame of the garage opening you'll gain a couple of inches, ideal if you're finding it tight getting your car in.

For tiles have a look at Ecotile too although a bit costly. Also look at gluing a strip of carpet around the walls where you are likely to open a door against to protect the paint on the door edges.

Lastly, be careful of sealing your garage up too tightly, especially if you ever put your car away when wet. Lack of ventilation and a warm and wet car will mean rust.

Soldato
Thanks for the tip regarding pipe lagging.

I converted part of my garage and there has been a draft coming in from the door going into the garage. Only really noticed the last few days as it has got much cooler...decided to go out and get some draught excluder and also some pipe lagging to go along the bottom of the garage door.

£10 later and it is much better...think I will be doing the door insulation in the coming weeks also.

Associate
OP
Just working through design ideas before I order the floor. Want to get the colour scheme spot on.

Floor:
  • Chequerboard pattern of either red and black to grey and black.
Rear Wall:
  • 1000mm Kitchen cupboard base unit with single shelf to store cleaning products and rattle cans etc
  • 1000mm wall cupboard to store blue roll, micro fibres, drying towels etc
  • Under cupboard LED lighting to light up the work top under the wall cupboard
  • Contrasting splash back between bottom of wall cupboard and work top
  • Roughly 1.7m long work top(Black) to cover cupboard and existing rolling tool chest(Black)
Here are a few designs, clearly the floor tile pattern will be larger but I took the easy route using a small fill pattern in powerpoint to create the mock ups:

Red/Black floor with red cupboard doors:

Plasfloor ideas by James Baker, on Flickr

Red/Black floor with Wooden doors - not sure on this one, but doors less likely to show marks :

Red/Black floor with Grey doors:

Grey/black floor with grey doors, feels boring:

Grey black floor with red doors, feels boring:

Any thoughts?

Soldato
Following this with interest as just about to move into a place with a similar sized garage (2.8 x 6m)

My main concern will be ensuring that there is tons of light, there is only a small light at the moment. I think I will fit fluorescent lamps at the edges of the ceiling so that the light is reflected by the wall and ceiling.

Soldato
Personally would do grey/black floor, red cabs, or even black/brushed metal doors. Your green Mini and all the other decor/stuff you store will add plenty colour. Wouldnt want to go overboard and make it an eyesore with far too many varying and clashing colours.

Back
Top Bottom