• Space Grey 256GB

Votes: 98 18.4%
  • I want one but it's too expensive

Votes: 125 23.5%
  • I'm not interested

Votes: 190 35.7%

• Total voters
Associate
Anyone brought the Apple Leather folio ? - Just wondered if anyone had any feedback on it. Bit of a stretch paying £99 but I can get it for around £88 through work discount which makes it a tad more reasonable.

Soldato
Another thing that's really annoying me now, is that there's no longer an indicator icon in the top menu bar that sleep mode is on or not.

Yet again, you have to open the control center to check it, as with the battery percentage.

I toggle it quite a lot going in and out of meetings, and now that there's no icon on the home screen when active, I often forget it's on and so I've been missing loads of calls and texts.

Yet another victim to the UI compromise from introducing the notch :(

Soldato
Not an ideal solution but if you have a Apple Watch you can still see on there. But I've always toggled it on my watch since having one anyway.

Far from ideal, but y'know.

Don
One thing that I don't understand with the X is why they changed the method for killing apps from the app switcher. Why do I now need to long-press the apps and then swipe away rather than just swipe away like I used to be able to do?

Soldato
Not an ideal solution but if you have a Apple Watch you can still see on there. But I've always toggled it on my watch since having one anyway.

Far from ideal, but y'know.

Ahh cheers, I fell out of the habit of wearing mine. Might be another reason to start wearing it again. Still, seems so silly that they're taking away and hiding information from the screen on a device that's a big jump in screen size from a model that shows all that information by default :rolleyes:

Soldato
Ahh cheers, I fell out of the habit of wearing mine. Might be another reason to start wearing it again. Still, seems so silly that they're taking away and hiding information from the screen on a device that's a big jump in screen size from a model that shows all that information by default :rolleyes:

It's such a crap workaround that I didn't want to suggest it out of fear of sounding like I'm trolling but I just find it a bit easier to glance at my wrist than I do the phone. Even more so now!

Associate
One thing that I don't understand with the X is why they changed the method for killing apps from the app switcher. Why do I now need to long-press the apps and then swipe away rather than just swipe away like I used to be able to do?

They made it more difficult to force close apps as force closing apps is detrimental to battery life. Only force close them if they're not working properly and you're good, just leave all the rest alone and you'll get better battery life. I very rarely force close any apps and have no issues with battery life at all.

Soldato
It's such a crap workaround that I didn't want to suggest it out of fear of sounding like I'm trolling but I just find it a bit easier to glance at my wrist than I do the phone. Even more so now!

lol, it's all good. For most it probably is a pretty crap work around, but luckily I do still have my first gen watch, so will give it a go. It feels so much like so many of the iOS11 decisions have been influenced by the X, and this year whoever is in charge of the design team managed to have say over whoever is in charge of the HCI or ergonomics and functionality dept. They're hiding away so much info behind unecessary swipes and gestures.

I'd be happy to have all the old status bar info that is only visible now from control center, to be visible permanently on the bottom of my lock screen so it doesn't clash with the notch. Anywhere really.
I miss having at a glance (using the nice new tap to wake on the screen):
The battery percentage so I know exactly how much juice I have left. The battery icon is too clucky to accurately see how much juice I have.
The moon for do not disturb - So I know at a glance if it's on or not when in quiet environments and as a reminder for me to switch it off when I check my lock screen after I leave a quiet environment
The VPN icon so I know if my ad blocker is active or not
The location icon so I can tell if there's an app using my location while not in use.

I really don't get why they got rid of the cards for the control center. On the one hand I suppose it's nice having everything on one screen, but it's also really busy when you have them all activated. As none have text labels I'm often having to try and think about and decipher what an icon means before tapping it, especially if it's something I don't use often. Having the cards swipeable on the bottom half of the screen meant you could access every single control center item in one handed mode and have them categorised onto relevant cards to group them. Now to pause the audio on your music or podcast while in another app, or adjust the brightness, both things that I do regularly on a daily basis, requires a second hand. Quite fiddly when on the move.

I do like how we now have the time visible in every app.

What I would like to see is the ability to swipe up to access control center from the far bottom left or bottom right of the screen. The home bar can take the middle 50%, and the left and right 25% could be used for control center. The screen is plenty wide enough.
Then add reachability to the control center. Then maybe the ability order everything in the control center. Only the bottom half is user orderable, but we're forced to have wireless controls, media controls, brightness, volume, do not disturb, lock orientation and screen mirroring stuck to the top, which is a shame.

An another note, it looks like Apple are bumping wireless charging from 5W up to 7.5W in 11.2 :)

Soldato
This isn't good, I'm now getting iMessage text messages from customers coming through to my laptop and watch, but 40 minutes later the same message still hasn't appeared in the Messages app on my X. That's kind of the most important place for it to appear :-/

Even after a restart of the phone it hasn't appeared. That's a bit concerning for someone that takes text message enquiries on my phone. I can't say I've ever noticed that ever happen before.

Man of Honour
OP
Nice to see a review from the Android side of things, I have to agree that Android notifications are miles better than iOS.

https://www.androidcentral.com/iphone-x

Interesting and fair review, considering.

I wanted to check a couple of points to see if he agreed with me, and he does:

But it's also, like, so fast. Android could only dream of maintaining the touch responsiveness and consistent frames per second that iOS so effortlessly achieves. You may think your Galaxy or Pixel is buttery smooth, but compare it to the flawless movement of the iPhone X home gesture and you'll be quickly humbled.

Those apps, too, are still better. I want to believe, now that we're in 2017 and not 2012, that developers care as deeply about feature parity on Android, but they don't: the best indie apps still don't come to Android (although one can argue, and I'd agree in some cases, that the indie app scene is extremely vibrant on Android — just in a way that doesn't make them much money); games arrive months late, if at all; and beloved products, especially camera-based networks like Instagram and Snapchat, lack specific features or optimizations that drive me crazy.

I've been waiting many years for Android to finally have a certain fluidity to the software and a coherency to the app store, it still hasn't got there and at this rate I don't think it will. :o

They've actually made notifications worse lately on iOS, which is stupid.

Man of Honour
This isn't good, I'm now getting iMessage text messages from customers coming through to my laptop and watch, but 40 minutes later the same message still hasn't appeared in the Messages app on my X. That's kind of the most important place for it to appear :-/

Even after a restart of the phone it hasn't appeared. That's a bit concerning for someone that takes text message enquiries on my phone. I can't say I've ever noticed that ever happen before.
I've had all sorts of iMessage issues over the years. Currently it appears to be working correctly for me but it still feels beta like and annoying when it goes wrong.

Back
Top Bottom