• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI graphics card is so loud!

Soldato
Hi guys,

I have recently developed a problem with my ATI Radeon HD6950 graphics card, it is constantly in a "very loud whurr" where it sounds like a hairdryer blowing, does anyone know what is going on. Ive taken the card out, cleaned the dust off and removed dust etc from the fan, reconnected it and still very loud, not sure what else to try...

Any tips or suggestions as it's very annoying having it so loud!

Thanks!

Soldato
If you run more than 1 monitor it will ramp the clocks and run hotter.
If you only run 1 monitor Download gpu-z if you haven't already and open up the application go into sensors tab and have a look at the core and memory clocks, and specifically the gpu load. It maybe something nasty is using the gpu in the background.

If the clocks are at their proper idle state 250core/150 mem, then it maybe you need to reapply the thermal paste, but save this as the last step to try. If all looks good and it's simply the fan speed is too high try manually lowering the fan speed using overdrive/afterburner/trixx or other overclocked tools..

Soldato
Agreed looks like the fan controller isn't getting an input.
Or there is a driver issue causing the gpu to see invalid high temps as seen in gpu-z.
If you lower the fan manually in afterburner or something does the fan speed drop?

Soldato
Yeah, looks like something's failed. The best way to quieten it down again would be to set a custom fan curve using MSI Afterburner, assuming that the fan controller is still working and will respond to commands. It might be difficult to gauge how hot it's actually running with no functioning temperature sensor though.

Soldato
Edit: Posted before I saw the replies!

Is Afterburner easy to use, its not something I would normally use

Very easy to use, most of the easy options are sliders and the main interface will show the easier options first.

Would also be tempted to check if AF also sees the wrong temp. Does the temp change when you're running a game?

Soldato
Your gpu temperature reading is incorrect. Try removing drivers with DDU (safemode) and reinstalling. If that doesn't fix it then the temperature sensors on the gpu die are probably faulty. Not repairable afaik.

edit: You could try switching the bios on the gpu to the other bank to see if that fixes it.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
Hah. Furmark was written off as a proper test of GPU power, described as a power virus and I believe both companies have code to detect Furmark trying to overload their cards now.

Anyway the idea that it finds a niche as a tool to un-bork cards is amusing.

Permabanned
As already mentioned I'd strip it down and clean any dust out as it's obviously an old card and it's likely the heatsink is full of dust. Even if you don't want to strip the card down cleaning it with a can of pressurised air and a hoover nozzle will do the job. I usually use a hoover nozzle (with the hoover on) and a clean paintbrush to clean my PC. A few years of dust can really clog a PC up.

Back
Top Bottom