spec me- not a bmw

Soldato
OP
Man of Honour
Insisting on sub 50k miles is a bit pointless at this budget, you're looking at fairly old cars which means low mileage is much rarer and less relevant.

Soldato
Problem is sub 50k is a tough target to meet for my kinda budget

had a dander round the local dealers see what's on offer, nothing really caught my eye apart from a newer shogun at one of them, very nicely specced and at first glance seems pretty good nick, although it's a 3.2 turbodiesel so suspect the fuel economy is not going to be, well, existent. might test drive it see if it appeals.

Look for something that's been looked after. I've spent about £1700 on a 90k Volvo. It should have another 90K in it without needed anything major doing again.

Soldato
OP
Look for something that's been looked after. I've spent about £1700 on a 90k Volvo. It should have another 90K in it without needed anything major doing again.

Always my aim although no guarantee, the bm for example is the literal incarnation of 1 careful lady owner, hasnt stopped 2 starter motor fails in 2 years.

Associate
This is screaming Forester tbh. Plus you can overnight parts from Japan to make it a bit more bling :p

7nOrhxm.jpg

Thanks for sharing this, i spent my evening last night looking at these as i plan to replace my car in the new year. :D

You can certainly pick up some good cars sub 2K if you look. 18 months ago i brought a IS200 Sport for £1600 with 88k miles on the clock, was only brought to get me around for 6 months but have kept it for another year :eek:. But now feel the need for more power!!!

Soldato
OP
Skoda Octavia Scout 4x4
Subaru Outback if you don't fancy a Forester.

will keep an eye out, although generally round here the only octavias you ever find are ex-taxis or ex police cars :D

subarus of all flavours are definately on my radar, although so far nobody seems to be selling them. maybe they all like em too much :p

Associate
will keep an eye out, although generally round here the only octavias you ever find are ex-taxis or ex police cars :D

subarus of all flavours are definately on my radar, although so far nobody seems to be selling them. maybe they all like em too much :p
I own a 2016 Octavia myself, just the saloon model, but to be honest I'm not sure I like the newer model with the way they've done the front headlights. I think it looks worse than the outgoing model.

Soldato
OP
I own a 2016 Octavia myself, just the saloon model, but to be honest I'm not sure I like the newer model with the way they've done the front headlights. I think it looks worse than the outgoing model.

not been paying attention to the newer variants, but used to have a mk1 fabia before getting the bm and i still kinda regret selling it, sure it had very little of the original suspension left by the time i got rid but in 5 years it never failed me (well, not counting when i left the lights on and killed the battery)

of course that was before they got their current reputation and you could grab nice examples for pittance secondhand

Soldato
OP
well, took the shogun for a spin, not really impressed, no throttle/steering feel and that particular example was far enough at the top end of the budget it really needed to wow me to gain any traction.

back to searching, might go look at the other options in the op next week when i've got a spare day to head up that neck of the woods.

hmm, there's a 2011 legacy, 2.0 duzzel though, any thoughts?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom