Zero spending, could you do it?

Soldato
Depends if you count things like coffee/snacks/lunch from the work canteen. I can go a week without spending cash easily if those things aren’t included. The real challenge is not to spend anything including at the work canteen.

Soldato
Not long. I get up every morning and spend 10 hours doing stuff I don't want to do so that I can enjoy my life. I enjoy my job, but I wouldn't do it if I didn't have to. I earn more than I spend, so I have no moral dilemma when it comes to treating myself.

Associate
On my own, yes. Easily. Often. Gladly.

When my girlfriend is home however.... no chance. Always "something" and she very conveniently forgets her purse. I might have to try that approach sometime...

Soldato
Fixed bills aside, I use my debit card less than 3 times a month on personal expenses. But if I had to consciously try, probably a month or two. Although I'm not too concerned with actually using my card. It's rarely more than a couple of bucks anyway.

Caporegime
I'm fairly up to date in terms of laptop, phone etc.. I've got Netflix and Amazon for movies etc.. I've got a kindle full of a load of books I've still not yet read and plenty of clothes/shoes etc..

so I guess once I've done my Christmas shopping this year I'll probably not *need* to buy anything until this time next year

however that isn't really living, I'd quite like to go on some trips/weekends away etc.. over the next year and there will still be things I'd like to buy that I don't need per say...

Caporegime
What are your guy's hobbies that involve spending no money at all?
Playing the piano/guitar. I can get music books from the library to keep me busy. I guess the guitars need new strings from time to time.

Watching free tv.

Cycling and running, though admittedly I’ll need spare parts, new clothes, new shoes, etc as things wear out.

Soldato
As long as I'm saving money, if only a little, then I'll spend some. I usually try to have my savings grow every month to get whatever I'm saving for at some point. Currently I'm saving for two leather 2 seat sofas. After that It will be a new PC. So I'm not spending a great deal at the moment.

Soldato
Months, potentially. I rarely have any particularly strong desire to buy anything frivolous. Happiness, for me, isn't linked to what I buy.

My ability to not spend is limited by having a wife and kids, though. They need stuff all the time.

Caporegime
Couldn't last more than a few days. Quite sad really, but if I haven't bought anything for a few days, I start to find myself browsing Amazon. I just love new things. And then after a week, I'd start to feel trapped at not being able to go out and do anything.

Suspended
I used to basically spend nothing on myself when I first moved out. I'd have a gym membership, buy some Protein powder, the rest of my money would basically be accounted for. I'd put a little each week towards a holiday, I'd spend about £33 a week on driving lessons, the rest was food/transport/bills almost to the pound I earned. Now I just spend money on random crap and still have plenty set aside. It would definitely be tough to go back to being on a low wage.

Soldato
Thinking about it I could quite easily do it if I don't already.

I work Monday to Friday and when not at work I am home, some nights I get a few bits from the supermarket and petrol if needed but that is it

At the weekends I stay home and spend my time with my son and doing odd jobs around the house and then back to work on Monday

Back
Top Bottom