Van speed camera

Soldato
Coming down the A449 in to Wales, get over a crest with a nice long straight section down again, layby about half a mile down with a van, clocked it pretty quick and went down from about 90 (probably just under) to 70.

How quick are those guys? Only other time I ever got caught speeding was same setup, one of those vans on the side, although that time I had practically driven past it by the time I had seen it.

I reckon I would have been, hmmm at least 300-400 yards away when I saw it, and over the crest, maybe 5 seconds before slowing.

Be interesting to see I suppose.

Associate
After panicking about this myself I did some research and found out that with a range of around 2 miles on a mounted, sniper like emplacement you're essentially reliant on luck. If there was a lot of other traffic maybe he didn't get to you in time, but in the end it just comes down to how good the operator was at his job.

Caporegime
The camera in the van would have got you, they are calibrated to catch multiple drivers over any given speed, the operator then decides if he forwards the registration to the police for prosecution.

The camera van operators are usually civilian not police officers.

This is my understanding of camera vans having spoken with an operator of one for Staffordshire Police.

Your getting points and a fine OP, no doubt about it.

Soldato
Over that 300-400 yards someone in lane 1 may well have been obstructing the laser/camera so you may have got lucky. You may well have not got close enough to be in camera operators sights. Although they can get you from a bazillion miles away, the vast majority of people caught are within 200-400 metres on dual carriageways.

Caporegime
A bit of Googling shows a Pro laser iii camera (commonly used in roadside traps) has a range upto 2000 yards.

On the A449 (heading toward the M4 at Newport I assume) it’s a usual tactic of theirs to be positioned in a dip with the camera set up to get people as they appear over the crest as the OP did, I see it frequently.

Soldato
I got caught in Wales in a similar situation, coming over a crest and seeing a camera van. I was doing 70mph in a 50mph and I braked hard immediately but was still clocked at 58mph.

I got a speed awareness course for that.

Associate
you might be ok, you might not.
I've been caught a few times by mobile camera vans on long open stretches (Dual carriageway/motorway)
Before replying to the NIP, I've requested evidence in order to help identify the driver.
The images provided showing the speed measurement have been roughly 5s later than I would have come into view of the camera operator.

Soldato
Coming down the A449 in to Wales, get over a crest with a nice long straight section down again, layby about half a mile down with a van, clocked it pretty quick and went down from about 90 (probably just under) to 70.

How quick are those guys? Only other time I ever got caught speeding was same setup, one of those vans on the side, although that time I had practically driven past it by the time I had seen it.

I reckon I would have been, hmmm at least 300-400 yards away when I saw it, and over the crest, maybe 5 seconds before slowing.

Be interesting to see I suppose.

he's at that range so he can clock you without you seeing him FIRST, in Hampshire they park behind trees or anything that can obstruct your view of them. he'll clock you instantly unless he's doing something else or hasn't set up the camera yet (only just arrived), he might let you off if you're only slightly over the limit

Soldato
A laser itself will go miles, but 3-400 yards is probably to far to get a proper reading. The beam on these things is very wide, so the further away the target is the more random stuff it's going to bounce off and fudge things up.

What you should do is angle your front plate and remove any rounded, or vertical surfaces at the front of the car. Also maybe radar absorbing paint ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Just remember when they have the camera hidden like that it's all about safety:rolleyes:. I wish they spent the time and effort and catching actual poor drivers and especially ones that don't indicate, but that would involve actual work.

Back
Top Bottom