Can’t screw into wall...how do I hang a clock?

Soldato
Help guys, need some ideas!

We got a big old clock for Christmas, and it turns out that every single possible place in our house to mount it seems to have a wire behind it.

The best idea I have is to use fishing wire to suspend it from as the place we’d like to put (above the TV) has a wall on either side. It’s quite a large alcove.

Anyone got any ideas on how to keep this invisible? I think the clock is too heavy for those adhesive hooks. If I get fishing line I think I could have an eyelet on each wall...what do you think?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Soldato
OP
I know there isn’t wire everywhere, but unfortunately I can’t risk there not being wire so I have to accept it! (Using stud finder)

I did think of putting up a piece of wood or something, but I think there’s metal trunking there that’s wider than the clock is.

I’ve screwed through a wire before so I’ve no desire to do so again...

Soldato
Are your walls plasterboard or brick?

Wiring should only be done at 90degrees from sockets/switches so either horizontal or virtically from where you can see evidence of wiring.

Stud detectors are hugely inaccurate so I wouldn’t trust that. Use my advice above and just stick it where you want.

Associate
Hmmmm so this sits in front of the wires?? What stops you from drilling through into the wires?

I’m assuming you’re drilling in to plasterboard which will only 10-12mm thick. You use a flat drill bit to get the diameter hole you need so there is less chance of you snagging a cable although in fairness it is still possible.
If you find one stud the next one should be 450mm from it so anything in that gap ‘should’ be alright

In answer to your question yes they do.

Soldato
OP
I’m afraid there’s too many maybes for me, and I don’t feel like I can trust command hooks.

I do have a hand drill I could use to drill into it really slowly, I guess. Still worrying though.

Walls are plasterboard. The hole needed wouldn’t be directly above the plug socket, so in theory there no wire, but that does reassure me much.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It’s a lot heavier than 5kg, maybe 10. We had one mirror fall off already though...

I’m thinking about slowly drilling a big hole with the hand drill, then use one of those spreaders. The hand drill will prevent me from ******* it up.

Associate
Is it plasterboard? If so just get a pozi screwdriver and push it through whilst rotating it. for that weight I'd be looking at a spring toggle or something else that spreads out.

Soldato
OP
Yeah it’s plasterboard. I would love to do that but I do think it might need a spreader, as you say. I’ll get one tomorrow.

One extra reason for being cautious is that I’ve no desire for the clock to fall on the TV!

Associate
Yeah it’s plasterboard. I would love to do that but I do think it might need a spreader, as you say. I’ll get one tomorrow.

One extra reason for being cautious is that I’ve no desire for the clock to fall on the TV!

The ones I linked to come in different colours - for different loads. I used brown ones for a coat rail and there are a lot of coats on it and it holds just fine with two of them.

Soldato
OP
Man of Honour
Back
Top Bottom