1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can’t screw into wall...how do I hang a clock?

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by dirtychinchilla, Jan 12, 2018.

1. dirtychinchilla

Sgarrista

Ah OK, I’ve also used them a number of times, but in general I’ve found they wreck the wall a bit and that, for light stuff at least, it’s easier just to screw straight into the plasterboard.

2. dholdi

Wise Guy

But aren't you fixing something heavy ?

3. dirtychinchilla

Sgarrista

Not nornally

4. godinman

Sgarrista

Those gripit things are great, I've attached a 50" TV using 4 of them, the blue ones are rated at like 200kg.

5. dirtychinchilla

Sgarrista

You’re a very brave man. Did you clean the wall first? That was probably my error the first time round.

6. godinman

Sgarrista

7. dirtychinchilla

Sgarrista

Ah sorry, I got mixed up. That’s what I’m going to get today, I think.

8. Lakeland

Mobster

This. It will take longer than drilling but it’s a safe solution.

Don’t be tempted to hamme through the last bit as it’ll just delaminate the board.

9. dirtychinchilla

Sgarrista

In case anyone is interested, I used one of the yellow Gripit fixings. It worked perfectly.

As far as my fear of screwing into a wire goes, I used a hand drill with a 15mm drill bit and took it very slowly. Worked perfectly.

Thanks all for the advice.

10. Caged

Capodecina

If your detector was throwing warnings all over the place is it because you might have foil-backed plasterboard?

11. dirtychinchilla

Sgarrista

Yeah quite possibly. The outside walls seems to be 100% no go if you use the detector.

12. BigBoy

Soldato

Sounds like foil backed boards or foil insulation board behind the plaster board.

13. dirtychinchilla

Sgarrista

Yeah I think it probably is

14. Rossi~

Capodecina

Last year I couldn't be bothered to go get the wall scanner that we had just put away and I needed to drill a hole to mount something. So instead I checked above and below to ensure that there were no sockets/switches that would be wired in. Then I literally said "Ah whatever, who dares, wins" and went for it...

BANG

Tripped downstairs sockets.

Turns out the person who wired it previously hadn't done a straight run form the sockets and/or under floor heating control and I'd gone through the conduit and hit two cables. I had to smash a hole in the newly decorated wall and get the two cables repaired.

I've since always used two different wall scanners on every drill. If I'm unsure and don't feel it's safe, then I use the Command strips, I'm quite a fan of them now.

15. dirtychinchilla

Sgarrista

Exactly. I've done exactly the same thing, although I was honestly just a ******* idiot and even said out loud to the mrs, "the plug socket isn't below here, I already checked." It was directly below unfortunately. I managed to get an electrician from work to come and check it in the end, fortunately.

It's not something that I'd like to take the risk on.

Photo to complete the thread (blurry AF, soz):

[​IMG]