Who wears the trousers in your household ?

Soldato
I wear the trousers but to be honest they can bloody chafe something rotten at times.

Currently i earn a lot more money than the missus yet she insists on paying equally into the mortgage, which is fine but leads to awkwardness every so often as I do enjoy funding my hobbies whereas she seldom has that luxury.
The flip side to all this is she does a job she genuinely loves and is passionate about..

Man of Honour
Pro Tip: If you need permission from your other half to do stuff then walk away and spend your money on tech and hookers and be happy instead :D

Me and the missus decide if we want stuff and buy it if money allows, simple as that :)

So what if money doesn't allow it, do you still refer back to sentence 1?
If money doesn't allow it and you don't do sentence 1 then you are a hypocrite :)

Soldato
Live with gf and neither of us 'wears the trousers'. She wouldn't even dream of telling me what I can and can't do, and vice versa. I just shake my head when guys at work sheepishly tells me that 'can't meet up after work because the wife said no'.

If it works for them, awesome. I spent years with girls trying that crap on me. Never again. The current gf knows damn well not to tread down the path. When it comes to money we're both mega sensible and frugal, so any large purchases we'd discuss and decide together whether we're going ahead with it or not. Unless it's something I buy for myself such as an expense graphics card or the like, she wouldn't care at all. My money, my decision.

Soldato
Live with gf and neither of us 'wears the trousers'. She wouldn't even dream of telling me what I can and can't do, and vice versa. I just shake my head when guys at work sheepishly tells me that 'can't meet up after work because the wife said no'.

I think deep down they love it. They like to be told what to by their partner because it gives them a scene of value, they are wanted by someone. You find out these are the men who like to be mothered, perhaps don't have very much experience with females during their time so they do whatever they say to "keep the piece" as my friend calls it.

I think its silly. Should be equal on both sides.

Soldato
I think deep down they love it. They like to be told what to by their partner because it gives them a scene of value, they are wanted by someone. You find out these are the men who like to be mothered, perhaps don't have very much experience with females during their time so they do whatever they say to "keep the piece" as my friend calls it.

I think its silly. Should be equal on both sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Soldato
Exactly, I got married in 1980 and this is how we work.
I find it pathetic that couples are in marriages where "That's my money and that's your money", that to me (and how I was bought up), is not the way to run a marriage.

Any logical reasoning behind those views or is it just an abstract opinion based on how you were brought up?

Also does your Mrs earn more than you? You're always very defensive about this topic

Man of Honour
I'm all for having some form of joint account for bills/etc and for the person that earns more to pay proportionally more (in a long term relationship) but you're still separate people and having your own money/accounts is far from pathetic. It's a really archaic view that being completely joined up in everything is the only way to do things - most likely borne of old-fashioned values about marriage and such which do not reflect modern society.

Not to say that I judge people that *do* combine everything into one big pot. I just don't particularly understand it and I have little time for those that are preachy about it.

Once you have children it's a slightly different matter though.

Soldato
That seems like such a strange thing to me.

I guess each to their own. Money and finances are such a personal and individual thing even amongst spouses so I'm sure we'll get a wide range of views on this subject. I'm sure that if we had our own individal accounts there'd perhaps be more freedom but this works very well for us. We both treat ourselves and there are almost no occaisons where either one of us wouldn't allow the other to buy what they wabted/needed. There us no mine and hers, it's all shared. Having separate accounts would be quite alien to us now.

Back
Top Bottom