New build £2k budget for box

Associate
Hi,

Just wanted your opinions please, veering towards 8700k, so need, cooler, mobo, ram, pci-x ssd, PSU and case recommendations. Upgrading from 2500 sandybridge, geforce 770gtx, 16gb ram.

Using it on a 40 inch philips monitor, gaming and crypto mining in idle time.

Thank you!

Soldato
lol. got pretty lucky there, considering each drive uses different types of nand!

To be honest it's not worth it for any issues that could pop up . Just read on some forums long ago people piping in Low Storage Evo/pro and Sm/pm high volumes in second m.2 and updating drivers and firmware and works for both as system is tricked into thinking your just doing the one drive but does the two .
But yeah, really no need :D

Soldato
if it works, don't try and fix it - certainly springs into mind lol

Yeah, it was just one of those things of being forced to use Intel NVMe drivers for non 960 drives. Samsung's own does much better . But again, for gaming doesn't make much difference :)

Don't find to much difference between sata3 and NVMe personally when gaming.
Though running 3D Mark, damn that make life quicker haha

New 960 SATA 3 drives do look nice though along with Intel 700 series and the quad layer nand

Associate
OP
Wow have I been out the game that long, am I read that right? Flashing SSD's to unlock more space? Hahah Cheers for the top two quotes. Whats the status on PSU's nowadays? Not worth going to 1000W? Everything seems to be getting more power hungry.

Associate
OP
Hmm,

Someone is offering me brand new:

Ryzen 1800x
stock cpu cooler.
Asus x370 pro
32GB Kingston Hyperx 2400mhz memory
WD 4.0TB HDD
WD 512GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD
Windows 10
2 x Asus Turbo GTX 1080Ti 11GB
FSP 1000W PSU
Some weird looking case.

2400 delivered, need to build myself.

I want to buy a case from OCUK and a watercooler, but is the above deal good? Not the 8700K or threadripper I had hoped for, but the price seems too good?

Soldato
Hmm,

Someone is offering me brand new:

Ryzen 1800x
stock cpu cooler.
Asus x370 pro
32GB Kingston Hyperx 2400mhz memory
WD 4.0TB HDD
WD 512GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD
Windows 10
2 x Asus Turbo GTX 1080Ti 11GB
FSP 1000W PSU
Some weird looking case.

2400 delivered, need to build myself.

I want to buy a case from OCUK and a watercooler, but is the above deal good? Not the 8700K or threadripper I had hoped for, but the price seems too good?

We can't advise on price checks outside the members market.

There is no stock cooler with the 1800X. Only the R7 1700 on the 8 core cpu's has a stock cooler.

No need for 32GB Ram. Also 2400MHz is too slow for Ryzen. You really want 3000MHz and above for best performance.

Those Asus Turbo cards are loud and run hot. I wouldn't fancy having two of them in SLI.

That psu could be good or bad as FSP can be a mixed bag.

Soldato
should only need one 1080Ti really, unless your doing GPU rendering ?
There's water blocks for that card but asus dont support cooler removal and often use warranty stickers on screws

Associate
OP
We can't advise on price checks outside the members market.

There is no stock cooler with the 1800X. Only the R7 1700 on the 8 core cpu's has a stock cooler.

No need for 32GB Ram. Also 2400MHz is too slow for Ryzen. You really want 3000MHz and above for best performance.

Those Asus Turbo cards are loud and run hot. I wouldn't fancy having two of them in SLI.

That psu could be good or bad as FSP can be a mixed bag.

Thanks Lee.

The price of those gfx cards, the cpu and hard drives comes to around £2400 everywhere, so will most likely use the extra gfx card, memory in my old computer (i5 2500k) giving me a separate crypto miner.

What cooler and memory would you recommend from OCUK for the 1800x? Is there that much of a difference between 2400 and 3000mhz ram?

Cheers.

Soldato
Thanks Lee.

The price of those gfx cards, the cpu and hard drives comes to around £2400 everywhere, so will most likely use the extra gfx card, memory in my old computer (i5 2500k) giving me a separate crypto miner.

What cooler and memory would you recommend from OCUK for the 1800x? Is there that much of a difference between 2400 and 3000mhz ram?

Cheers.

It would depend on what would fit in the case, and how much you wanted to spend. Something as cheap as a Cryorig H7 would be fine for Ryzen.

Yes faster Ram does make a difference for Ryzen. I would get something like the 8pack kit below as it has low timings as well. The Cryorig H7 I mentioned above will also be fine with this ram as it doesn't block any ram slots on the board.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £238.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Back
Top Bottom