Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Just been offered a retention deal. As want ditch TV and home phone. Gone self-employed and need to cut back everything for 12 months.

Broadband 50mb = £26.50 (12 month contract)

How does this sound?

Associate
How does the SH3 compare to BT Smart Hub?

Already with BT and their supplied modem is much better than SH3, if I ever have the need to replace it I just can unlike with VM. Ping in the LAN at <1ms to 1ms over wifi and <1ms continuous via ethernet cable, responsive modem settings panel and slightly better wifi (but wifi was not a problem even with the SH3). As for the connection itself I get around half the ping I had with VM, from 30-40ms to 20ms or less on average and no ping spikes. Very satisfied with the broadband, big improvement overall.

Virgin Media are good for people who need big bandwidth like 100Mb/s and more or their only alternative is something like 5Mb/s ADSL. Unless you can get great discount/deal with VM I would go to other provider for better quality broadband until the defective SH3 is fixed or replaced.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone with Virgin TV ever be changing channels and the screen stay black but you still get the sound?

It has started happening to me over the last week. It is solved by changing channels a few times but is annoying.

Soldato
Anyone with Virgin TV ever be changing channels and the screen stay black but you still get the sound?

It has started happening to me over the last week. It is solved by changing channels a few times but is annoying.
I had this on certain channels. Unplugged the V6 for 30 secs or so and not had the issue since.

Caporegime
The WiFi on my super hub 3 is so temperamental, that I want to go wired to my router. Just can’t trust it any more when streaming or gaming.

There’s four devices in my entertainment stack though (TV, PS4, Sky box, Nvidia shield). Is there an easy way for me to plug all four into a device and then have one Ethernet cable run to the router to connect all four to one port or is that impossible?

Would a TP-LINK 5 port 10/100Mbps desktop switch do the trick?

Last edited:

Stu

Stu

Soldato
The WiFi on my super hub 3 is so temperamental, that I want to go wired to my router. Just can’t trust it any more when streaming or gaming.

There’s four devices in my entertainment stack though (TV, PS4, Sky box, Nvidia shield). Is there an easy way for me to plug all four into a device and then have one Ethernet cable run to the router to connect all four to one port or is that impossible?

Would a TP-LINK 5 port 10/100Mbps desktop switch do the trick?

Yes, that would work, but I would get a 1Gbps switch, which won't cost much more.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I would get a NETGEAR GS305-100UKS or TP-LINK TL-SG105, whichever is cheapest.

You can use the other ports on the router too, giving you 7 free sockets in total.

Caporegime
Cheers guys. I've ordered the one Raggs suggested. It seems excellent for the money and look quite stylish as well to slot in with my AV gear. I cant really plug my AV gear into the router as it's on the other side of the room and I really only want one cable going from the AV stuff to the router. Plus with the 8 port I have extra ports on the switch if I need to expand in future.

All this could have been avoided if VM hadn't made such a disaster with the SH3. I dont know if it's just mine, but anything on Wi-Fi will stop working all of a sudden, but checking the wired connection on my PC still shows a connection of over 100Mbps. When the wi-fi does work, I never seem to get above 35-40Mbps on it, which is getting borderline when streaming 4K and sharing the connection. Absolute piece of junk. My SH2 was steady as a rock.

Soldato
The SH3 is just plain awful, even in modem mode. I use an Asus RT-AC68U with the Merlin firmware, it's a great router. However, the SH3 modem introduces tons of random ping spikes, fortunately most are so short you don't notice. Beyond that, the thing takes up to 5 minutes to reboot!

Soldato
Just spoke to VM, was on Vivid Gaming 200 with home phone and prices recently went up to £55. Now I've got Vivid 300 which is actually 352mb apparently for £42. The funny thing though is that they have to send me a SH3 which I told them I don't need as I already have one but using the SH2 due to the issues with the SH3. So im gonna two SH3's and a SH2, i need to activate my new SH3 when it arrives to get the new Vivid 300 and then ring them back to revert back to my SH2 :p :rolleyes:

SH2 will be fine for Vivid 300 won't it? I was told I would need a SH3 for the Gaming 200 but get exactly same speeds with the SH2 but minus the latency issues

Soldato
Just spoke to VM, was on Vivid Gaming 200 with home phone and prices recently went up to £55. Now I've got Vivid 300 which is actually 352mb apparently for £42. The funny thing though is that they have to send me a SH3 which I told them I don't need as I already have one but using the SH2 due to the issues with the SH3. So im gonna two SH3's and a SH2, i need to activate my new SH3 when it arrives to get the new Vivid 300 and then ring them back to revert back to my SH2 :p :rolleyes:

SH2 will be fine for Vivid 300 won't it? I was told I would need a SH3 for the Gaming 200 but get exactly same speeds with the SH2 but minus the latency issues

No, you will only get 200 on a SH2. It won't bond all the channels of the SH3, and VM don't have a modem config for it on the SH2 so there's no way for them to get the modem to be on the network at 300.

Associate
What sort of price are people paying for Vivid 300 broadband only (or Vivid 350 in my case)? I switched over to it a few months back and have been paying £48 but thought I'd call today to ask them if they could help reduce my bill and straight away they offered it to me for £42 a month (which is the new customer offer for 12 months on their site).

I pay 47 a month for the Vivid 3503 and talk weekends

Soldato

Gaming package increased your upload within the limits of what the SH2 can do, but to get 300+ down you'll need to use the SH3. IIRC mine is using 20 channels for download when looking on the hub settings.

Back
Top Bottom