Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
So Virgin is finally available but I'm a bit disappointed its only 200Mbps is available, any reason for this you guys can think of?

Same where I am, I'm told it's to do with demand, if the demand builds up and there is an appetite for it then they swap out the head ends and then with increased capacity comes faster availability of services.

Associate
Been a VM customer for several years (since 2010) and recently my bill hit £67.99 a month.

That's Full House TV/Vivid 100 BB/phone

Called the retention's team to request the £49.00 month they are offering new customers (who sign up before 11th Feb) for the exact same package. First offer was to reduce bill down to £60.00 month. I stated that I didn't think that was fair to treat the existing customers like that and requested to continue to disconnect trying to call their bluff. I was expecting the agent to return to the call with another offer, but instead they just advised that the 30 cancellation period was now in effect and that they would send out boxes to return their kit.

What are the chances I will get a call back over the next few days asking me to re-consider, and offering me a better price? In all honesty I have no issues with VM, but I hate the rising prices. I can't really fault their service in my area and the alternative of ADSL with Sky, Talk Talk, etc ... is only going to leave me with poor speeds.

What are other people experiences of trying to get something more out of VM?

Caporegime
The retention's team will call you to offer you something better.

To get the best deals out of providers you have to be willing to go to the 11th hour, and if you don't get anything, walk away.

Soldato
You have until the end of your 30 days cancellation period to stop your cancellation. You should get a phone call at some point.

Look up alternative packages / deals with other providers and use them to get a better price. VM will offer a loyalty discount for a limited period, 12 to 18 months, a "free" increase to existing packages and even you to agree to a new contract tie-in period.

Associate
Live with my girlfriend, so there is an option there worse case to contract as a new customer under her name.

Cheers for the advice everyone, fingers crossed I can get in down to a more reasonable level.

Soldato
Live with my girlfriend, so there is an option there worse case to contract as a new customer under her name.

Cheers for the advice everyone, fingers crossed I can get in down to a more reasonable level.
This is what I did with Sky last year, after a friend who works there was able to get me a really cheap deal for new customers only. I've lived with my girlfriend for 14 years now and we've done the new customer switcheroo a couple of times on different things!

Soldato
Just make sure that you are on a rolling contract and are not cancelling a contract renewed recently from another time you low balled and strong-armed an offer, as you may be hit with a pretty big cancellation fee.

Soldato
Guess they will catch on if you cancel and then take out a new contract in the wifes name.

Haven't had to play this game with Virgin but with Sky they always had a better offer in the final days, shame we have to mess around so much though with all these services just to not get ripped off.

Soldato
Looking for somebody with experience on this - when i moved in to my flat virgin came and instilled the box etc. but also the phone line (I think). I'm looking to move away to get FTTC as i really want the static IP and don't use the tTVservice. Question is, as its a Virgin phone line and I pay them for line rental, if I phoned for example Talk Talk or PLusNET and moved my line rental to them, what happens.

This is the first time I've never had DSL of some sort and thus always had a BT line. Will the new provider need to run a new phone line or will the Virgin one novate - im unsure if its hard coded in to the Virgin box in anyway, otherwise i will need to get BT to some and "put a phone line in" before i cancel and re-order

- GP

Back
Top Bottom