Upgrading my router (pics inside)

Soldato
Apologies mods if this is in the wrong place but it's not a "project log" as such but I wanted to share with the OCUK community what I'm currently doing with my home router(s).

Currently I am using a MikroTik RB3011UiAS-RM to terminate my home 100/50 connection. It has absolutely no problems at all and has always been rock solid but I fancy a change and I plan on doing some much more intensive packet monitoring in the future so felt the time was right to upgrade. Now I have a "proper" rack in my mancave (see link in sig) I felt the time was right to move over onto something with a bit more grunt (even though the RB3011 struggled to maintain 2% CPU usage).

First thing was to take a base R210ii and remove the existing kit, I've left in the Xeon 1220L as it's a dual core with HT and is very low power (ideal for a router). As this box will have slightly more than 1 purpose as it will replace both a router and one of my HP microservers it also needed some bumps to stock kit.

Why? The router that I'd ideally "want" is a 9 x 1Ghz core CCR1009 which is the best part of £450 which is absolutely far too much for a home router, also doing this enables me to remove another machine from my network and hopefully save a few watts.

16GB RAM moved in from the HP microserver first
26116890408_b6e485e7ec_z.jpg

Quad port NIC next to make sure I have enough ports, I will designate all of these as my LAN group in time.
26116890508_e6b7a3d0b9_z.jpg

There it is in place. The board only has 1 PCIe slot which is a shame as I'd liked to have put in a HP Dual SFP card as well
39279279614_8769600571_z.jpg

Storage next, Intel 330 will hold ESXi and the router VM, Kingston is for my virtual Windows 7, the HGST I have no idea as it was lying around and the WD blue will be a storage drive for the Windows 7 as it will run Deluge as a seedbox.
39957874842_e5890117f5_z.jpg

Ready for hard drives, I'm just waiting on getting some drive bay adapters from 3.5 to dual 2.25's so I can run all 4 drives in a solid mounting.
39957874862_5e0697722c_z.jpg

Boot media made and booting for the first time
39959032942_f1470bc222_z.jpg

26118127038_37361289c1_z.jpg

Every ESXi install I do hangs here and there is an uneasy wait for it to get past this point
39280578244_c42554f0e2_z.jpg

ESXi installed and set up, imported the pre-made OVA file from MikroTik's website
25129365547_83e5e1861e_z.jpg

4 Cores, 4GB RAM and 16GB of SSD space is massively overkill for this but it installed and ran with no issues
39290195714_a37e9f5c6b_z.jpg

We're in
39968362862_dac6b1cfbc_z.jpg

Started tinkering with interfaces, I was going to hand each of the 4 ports of the NIC in separately but in the end have left them in the ESXi vswitch and am just handing RouterOS the "1" LAN interface
25129365287_ac9b73ee7a_z.jpg

All hardware set up and in place, I've given it both the onboard interfaces as individual NIC's so I can have 2 WAN inputs (not that I need 2 as I only have 1 but hey, scale.)
39968362782_8a6e87b2af_z.jpg

Config was exported form my old RB3011, manipulated and then placed onto the new CHR. The "good stuff" is disabled currently so the old router is still doing it's thing until I can get to switch it all over.
39102080475_98e0d53684_z.jpg

Jobs to do:-
License CHR (this is free to do but I didn't get time last night)
Link up fibre to carry WAN to my cave
Move WAN over
Monitor sound levels as the R210 is a touch noisy

Caporegime
I presume you're going to sit a pfSense / OPNsense box inline after the virtual RouterOS to give you the enhanced monitoring that you're after - or are you doing it all within RouterOS?

Soldato
OP
I presume you're going to sit a pfSense / OPNsense box inline after the virtual RouterOS to give you the enhanced monitoring that you're after - or are you doing it all within RouterOS?

It's all going to go through RouterOS for now. I've mapped the WAN interfaces directly to the RouterOS VM and then will uplink to the LAN from there. I really wish that MT would offer DPI like Ubiquiti as then it would be perfect.

An exciting point is that 6.42RC now contains open-vm-tools and xen-tools so the machines will actually interface with the host (hoooray!!). Will be upgrading once it comes into the current channel.

Don
Turns out it's far too loud so it's getting pulled apart and back to the setup I used to have.

Shame as otherwise looks like it would be a great bit of kit for the job. What network card is that btw? (only asking as I have a HP quad - 331T sat on my desk atm that doesn't look half as impressive)

What's actually causing all the noise?
40mm server fans are loltastic for noise no matter what. Currently got some HP360 G5's and G7s in my office at work, the G7's are about tolerable at idle, but even look in their direction and the fans spin up.

Soldato
OP
What's actually causing all the noise?

Fans (there is a but though, I think there may be a way to quiet them off a bit)

Shame as otherwise looks like it would be a great bit of kit for the job. What network card is that btw? (only asking as I have a HP quad - 331T sat on my desk atm that doesn't look half as impressive)
40mm server fans are loltastic for noise no matter what. Currently got some HP360 G5's and G7s in my office at work, the G7's are about tolerable at idle, but even look in their direction and the fans spin up.

Card is a HP NC364T, I've always gone for the NC360T's (dual port) and have a spare somewhere as I thought they were reasonably priced at £25 and on here people sell the quad ports (or try to)for £100+ I picked this one up off eBay for £15 delivered! It came in a huge box with loads of packing as well so I consider it a bargain.

Slight ray of light:
The BIOS on this thing is ancient and in a later version Dell actually made changes to the way it handles fan speeds to quiet them off (a bit) so I'm going to get a USB stick ready with DOS and some updates and see where we go from there. It's not terrible Boeing jet loud but it is loud enough for you to know that it's certainly running, from reading the drop from 5000 to 3000 rpm should make a difference and maybe reignite this.
**Also the BMC has an update available purporting to do similar so that's getting updated as well.

Soldato
OP
Not sure if this is what you found, but it's what you need: http://www.dell.com/support/article...eredge-servers-via-bootable-media-iso?lang=en

Update everything and it should definitely help fan noise.

Nice setup though! I'm looking at an R210 to replace my N54L for pfsense and pihole. Will go nicely with my R710.

Thats exactly what I have just done! The BIOS upgrade has made a huge difference! Went from 2.0.5 to 2.8.0 and my BMC was already further along than the latest on the Dell site anyway. I've changed all the power settings to minimal and it's now noticeably quieter than my Ryzen machine.

This R210 is the predecessor to my current R410 that I have in a colo rack. It used to do a CHR and Ubuntu server but then tarted to strain a bit so got swapped out for something a bit more powerful.

Project CHR is back on (for now)!

Next job will be to get my WAN link converted to fibre and then back once it gets to the cave.

Soldato
That is good to hear :D When I get an R210 it will be going under the stairs for now so hopefully the noise is ok. I put up with my R710 in there for a few months and that howls like nothing else under load.

Caporegime
I was confused why you were talking about flashing a Dell BIOS onto an HP server and then wondered if maybe it was because they shared a motherboard or something. Took me far too long to realise that the idea of R210 being an HP product code had been pulled entirely out of my ass.

Sleep is required I think.

Soldato
I've just won an R210 ii on ebay :D I will be doing the very same as you in a few days time now!

My HP N54L is great, but under powered. Downloading at my speed of 30mb/s pulls CPU usage to over 50% alone.

Soldato
OP
Wow that’s high!

Well my project has been stopped. The noise was just too much so I’ve converted to fibre anyway and moved my RV3011 to the cave.

210 will get stripped and door stopped and I’ll try to pick up a CCR from Ebay.

Soldato
OP
How things change. My RB3011 has decided to hit me with a built in hardware issue to do with switch buffers. This has pushed my button a bit so I've pulled this back out to try and push it a bit further and make it even quieter.
I've ordered a full iDrac express & enterprise kit as I've read that they "can" help as the onboard BMC isn't that great.
I've re-pasted the Xeon CPU as it has been on for quite a while and had gone very crusty, I'm hoping after a few hours on it quietens off a bit more.
I've also stripped out all the stuff that isn't needed this afternoon;
Before;

After;

Awaiting iDrac and testing then if it's still bad I'll look at replacement fans. Then it's decision time as to whether it goes in the attic or in the cave.

The good bit....my CHR happily can do over 7Gbps on a speedtest to itself via UDP so I'm fairly confident it will eat my 100/50 connection and I'm quite confident it will eat it also once running a VPN due to the AES properties of the Xeon that he existing ARM doesn't have. It has the hardware but they aren't writing offload into the software for it!

Back
Top Bottom