Topographical Surveyor

Soldato
Been applying for various starting positions for a while now 8+months and not even had one offer of interview.

I'm looking to retrain, on the job training leading to professional certificates, but ideally would prefer a degree of something too, even if it's an HNC/HND. I'm coming from a technicial event background and wouldn't cope with an office 9 to 5, mon to friday, hence looking at land/topographical surveying. Start out split "in the field" and office and as I progress so does increased office time.

But, yes, my original point, any body have any doors I can try? It would need to be central belt of Scotland, well more east of central belt. Even just a few days of "work experience", a couple out on site a couple in office type thing, make sure it's something I would enjoy.

Or generally just any tips and advice? Apart from keep applying.

Tah!

(sorry for the woffle)

Soldato
Interesting one, most of the surveyors we use are one man band types - some might be open to letting you get some experience with them but I guess they might also think you just want to become their competition!
I think the equipment they have now if fairly advanced so it's down to how good you are at interpreting the output from those

Soldato
Try and find someone near yourself who's self employed but looking to cut back a bit maybe - could be an opportunity there, even if you just start out as someone's lacky / driver?

You could probably find an Open University course or a course at a local college part time.

I'd have more time for someone approaching me if they're being proactive with regards to their own education and training - maybe others would be to

Soldato
Why don’t you look at working for countrywide or esurv etc? Traditional surveying and valuing with a mix of on site and off site work

Soldato
There just isn't that many topo jobs in Scotland unfortunately. You could try Loy Surveys in Renfrew to see if they can help as they used to employ assistants but the tech has moved on somewhat.

Otherwise you could try the utilities but they normally need some experience. Water and power are worth a try but nowadays it does tend to be the consultants and contractors that get the work subbed to them.

You could try the equipment suppliers as well as a starting point.

Good job, nice mix of tech with indoor and outdoor work. I started around the time of Gps kicking in properly and it was great but realistically that was 20 years ago now! GPR was good fun too.

Associate
I know a couple of guys who work(ed) with a company called Mouchel, which I've just googled and found out they've re-branded to WSP.

I'm not sure if it's the sort of thing you're after but they're always travelling around surveying land for various projects (water works, railways, wind turbines etc)

http://www.wsp-pb.com/en/WSP-UK/careers/What-we-offer/Early-career/

Their offices are in Uddingston I think.

Man of Honour
Been applying for various starting positions for a while now 8+months and not even had one offer of interview.

I'm looking to retrain, on the job training leading to professional certificates, but ideally would prefer a degree of something too, even if it's an HNC/HND. I'm coming from a technicial event background and wouldn't cope with an office 9 to 5, mon to friday, hence looking at land/topographical surveying. Start out split "in the field" and office and as I progress so does increased office time.

But, yes, my original point, any body have any doors I can try? It would need to be central belt of Scotland, well more east of central belt. Even just a few days of "work experience", a couple out on site a couple in office type thing, make sure it's something I would enjoy.

Or generally just any tips and advice? Apart from keep applying.

Tah!

(sorry for the woffle)

Ordnance Survey are recruiting for surveyors right now - closing 22 June. Both Aberdeenshire and North Glasgow are locations that they're looking to fill.

https://ordnancesurvey.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?site=1&id=686

Back
Top Bottom