The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Caporegime
Soldato
I'm still not quite sure on the camera - missing some basic options such as intervalometer. But I'm really in the dark about the lenses available on the Sony E mount - I know nothing about it. The Sony lenses look hugely expensive - what are the other options?

Caporegime
I'm still not quite sure on the camera - missing some basic options such as intervalometer. But I'm really in the dark about the lenses available on the Sony E mount - I know nothing about it. The Sony lenses look hugely expensive - what are the other options?

You can get an adapter and use canon glass with full auto focus.

Soldato

Not all the Sony lenses are expensive! But look at the none gm lenses for a start And also look at third party ones by samyang and now sigma with its art primes

Soldato
Thanks for that. Prices still TBA on the Sigma's, by the looks of things. I wonder if this might be better to wait until a bit later in the year when the body prices have cooled somewhat and there's more coverage of the lens performance.

Soldato
Oh, I thought you had a canon set up!

I moved about three years ago and had convinced myself that I'd use the D750 for more video. Unfortunately it really isn't very good for that (in my hands, at least) and I've become increasingly frustrated with the size of it. I've used my RX100 IV far more frequently, and the portability and video are far better, but even at my level I still find it quite limiting sometimes.

Caporegime
I moved about three years ago and had convinced myself that I'd use the D750 for more video. Unfortunately it really isn't very good for that (in my hands, at least) and I've become increasingly frustrated with the size of it. I've used my RX100 IV far more frequently, and the portability and video are far better, but even at my level I still find it quite limiting sometimes.

To be fair, I don't think video is D750's strong point, even from the die hard Nikon fan, even in the in D850, this is mostly to do with the AF when shooting video, Canon's Dual Pixel AF is arguably the best.

For a pocket choice, the its hard to beat a Rx100 series camera.

Soldato
Indeed, the RX100 is really good, to a point. I guess I'm wrestling with dumping around £3,000 of Nikon gear to probably end up with £4,000 or so of Sony compatible gear, so just want to make sure that I'm actually moving to something that really does what I want it to do as opposed to the next bright new thing that ultimately disappoints after a few months of use.

I have a nagging feeling that, given the rate of progress, there's an A7 IV not a million miles away, and perhaps a more mature lens lineup by then to accompany it. I think I might sell all the Nikon gear after my next trip away in April. That will at least focus the mind!

Soldato
Indeed, the RX100 is really good, to a point. I guess I'm wrestling with dumping around £3,000 of Nikon gear to probably end up with £4,000 or so of Sony compatible gear, so just want to make sure that I'm actually moving to something that really does what I want it to do as opposed to the next bright new thing that ultimately disappoints after a few months of use.

I have a nagging feeling that, given the rate of progress, there's an A7 IV not a million miles away, and perhaps a more mature lens lineup by then to accompany it. I think I might sell all the Nikon gear after my next trip away in April. That will at least focus the mind!
THE SONY has far better video capablilities that are worth the extra 1.5k u are switching .

Associate
A shame they're all big beasts, I really would like a relatively small 35mm f/1.8 but will probably settle for the Zeiss f/2.8 and the 85mm Batis assuming I like what I see in the A7 III.

Soldato
A shame they're all big beasts, I really would like a relatively small 35mm f/1.8 but will probably settle for the Zeiss f/2.8 and the 85mm Batis assuming I like what I see in the A7 III.
From the reviews I have read; the Sony FE 85mm F1.8 provides near identical results of the Batis, for a fraction of the price and weight.

Back
Top Bottom