Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Av8

Av8

Associate
Hi guy’s

Just last few days upgraded to the 350 from 200 gamer, how long if at all should it take for the connection to settle down? 200 was stable.

What should the firmware be on the SH3?/Would it have been updated?.
Should I reboot it once again to see if it helps?

Thanks in advance for any advice etc.

Av8

Associate
The new firmware version is 9.1.116.603. It was sent to my hub the same day I upgraded from 200 gamer.
You can check it under admin>info
I've seen suggestions to try try power cycling the hub, but it didn't help while I was on 200

Av8

Av8

Associate
The new firmware version is 9.1.116.603. It was sent to my hub the same day I upgraded from 200 gamer.
You can check it under admin>info
I've seen suggestions to try try power cycling the hub, but it didn't help while I was on 200

Thanks, I’ll take a look at the firmware etc and also see if it helps power cycle the hub.

Associate
After 10 years with Virgin, I’ve finally had enough. To be fair, it has been mostly ok but since October ish last year, been suffering with upstream congestion. It varies from day to day but the latency is appalling when it’s a bad day. So since the contract ended last week, now moving to a FTTC connection. It’ll be slower but hopefully the latency will be much more consistent.

Associate
Which area reference are you? I'm starting to think I should ring vm and demand the new firmware :p

Hmm you are not the only one! mine is stuck on 9.1.116V. What makes it worse is a lack of official information, what is wrong with the company keeping people up to date, perhaps with a potential roll out for new firmware etc.

Av8

Av8

Associate
Which area reference are you? I'm starting to think I should ring vm and demand the new firmware :p

01 :D

Hmm you are not the only one! mine is stuck on 9.1.116V. What makes it worse is a lack of official information, what is wrong with the company keeping people up to date, perhaps with a potential roll out for new firmware etc.

Exactly, would be nice if they did indeed let us all know. In an ideal world me thinks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Permabanned
....I hope that helps clear up why the graph looks better but in fact the problem wouldn't go away. In theory. If this random person isn't lying or wrong... ;)
Thanks for posting that. I was already aware of this but I know for sure that the firmware fix does more than 'fool the BQM'.

In two areas I personally saw a marked improvement; actually the .603 firmware fixed a problem I did not know was caused by the SH3/Puma6 chipset. I uploaded quite a bit to file hosts over the past year and only ever get ~17Mb upload, after the new firmware I immediately got the maximum 22Mb.

Secondly, whenever I was uploading files my missus could not make proper Skype calls. Immediately after the firmware I could upload at my maximum 22Mb and she could not even tell as Skype calls remained perfect.

So while the new firmware might not totally ameliorate all the Puma6 failings it definitely does seem to go some way in mitigating a few of them.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for posting that. I was already aware of this but I know for sure that the firmware fix does more than 'fool the BQM'.

In two areas I personally saw a marked improvement; actually the .603 firmware fixed a problem I did not know was caused by the SH3/Puma6 chipset. I uploaded quite a bit to file hosts over the past year and only ever get ~17Mb upload, after the new firmware I immediately got the maximum 22Mb.

Secondly, whenever I was uploading files my missus could not make proper Skype calls. Immediately after the firmware I could upload at my maximum 22Mb and she could not even tell as Skype calls remained perfect.

So while the new firmware might not totally ameliorate all the Puma6 failings it definitely does seem to go some way in mitigating a few of them.

Sounds good, so when if ever will they roll it out??

Soldato
@Glanza, my area is now once again fully congested and a review date of 16th May... How is your connection?

On other words, don't go VM if you can get a decent FTTC connection! Unlike me, I am stuck with VM as my FTTC is just the same speed as my congested speed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
It's been fine for last few month, was fine and full speed last night just ran a test and it's massively lower than it usually is but I can't reboot the hub just yet to see if that sorts it due to amount of people using it currently.
Keep an eye on it! Mine has been the same until I noticed it a few days ago.

Soldato
I'll be annoyed if I'm suddenly in a congestion area after having a year and half of full speeds every night.

Have VM given you a fault code? If it's no better tomorrow I'll speak to them and see if I've got a fault code here also.

Soldato
I'll be annoyed if I'm suddenly in a congestion area after having a year and half of full speeds every night.

Have VM given you a fault code? If it's no better tomorrow I'll speak to them and see if I've got a fault code here also.
He didn’t give me a fault code, but said there is a utilisation fault that was logged few months ago that will cause speed decrease.

I spat my dummy out at him and requested credit applying to my account because once again I’m unable to use 90% of my connection every evening when it’s the main time I use it!

I’ve posted on their forum and will await a proper response from their staff.

Soldato
Just rung VM to see if any faults in the area, none that they can see so they claim, did some tweaks from their end and got the speed up and I've got to check if it's at full speed tomorrow morning before work and when I get home, if it's fine in the morning but down in evening again then I'd say it's congestion again here.

Soldato
Just rung VM to see if any faults in the area, none that they can see so they claim, did some tweaks from their end and got the speed up and I've got to check if it's at full speed tomorrow morning before work and when I get home, if it's fine in the morning but down in evening again then I'd say it's congestion again here.
You might be lucky. I’m at 10Mbps again.

Soldato
You might be lucky. I’m at 10Mbps again.

Tested this morning and back to full speed:

7217281949.png

utzBNRd.png

Back
Top Bottom