Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato

Not bad! However TBB's speedtest never fully maxes out the connection. After a bit of reading it seems that's because the speedtest.net server it picks is hosted by VM or within VM's network? So it's not really a good indicator of connection speed in the real world.

I have found that downloads from sites never hit the 40MB/s+ all the time. Torrents and FTP do though which is good.

Soldato

Not bad! However TBB's speedtest never fully maxes out the connection. After a bit of reading it seems that's because the speedtest.net server it picks is hosted by VM or within VM's network? So it's not really a good indicator of connection speed in the real world.

I have found that downloads from sites never hit the 40MB/s+ all the time. Torrents and FTP do though which is good.
42Mb upload on Virgin? What is this black magic?

Soldato
42Mb upload on Virgin? What is this black magic?

It's the VIVID 350 + BT Infinity 2 FTTP load balanced :D

Was fun for a bit but it screws up sites not accepting a HTTPS connection handshake.

I'm still waiting on the landline port to complete so running two internets at the moment.

Soldato
It's the VIVID 350 + BT Infinity 2 FTTP load balanced :D

Was fun for a bit but it screws up sites not accepting a HTTPS connection handshake.

I'm still waiting on the landline port to complete so running two internets at the moment.
Ahh, you got me all excited for a minute then!

Soldato
5:30pm and my speeds are normal right now.

7221905506.png

Will check in an hour! :o

Soldato
So, VM installation all done on Vivid 200. Not got a screenshot handy but I'm pulling ~220Mbps down and 13Mbps up. To be honest I wasn't aware that the upload was only going to be 13Mbps - I was apparently getting Vivid 200 and Vivid 200 Gamer mixed up. I don't see Gamer on the website anymore though, has that been killed off?

Looks like I'll just need to wait for them to switch 350Mbps on to get my 20Mbps upload back.

In case anyone's wondering, have the Hub set up on modem mode with my existing Netgear D7000 doing the rest and DNS handled by PiHole because I'm weird.

Now I just need to either run some Cat6 to the office or get better HomePlugs. I'm maxing them out at around 150Mbps at the moment and that just won't do!

Soldato
Still running A-OK here, though I wish they'd stop throttling OpenVPN to within an inch of its life from about 6pm until gone midnight.:mad:

Bare connection:

Over VPN (L2TP/IPSEC) on my FreeBSD router/firewall machine:
xgp7OX1.png

ETA: Here's an example of the VPN throttling they rarely admit to carrying out (though if you search their forum, you'll find it).

Code:
$ curl cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test > /dev/null

% Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current

Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed

100  100M  100  100M    0     0  8865k      0  0:00:11  0:00:11 --:--:-- 1251k

Guaranteed, in half an hour that'll be back to 380Mbps.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Swifty55 Speeds aren't as bad as they were last week, this week so far I've been at nearly max speed in evening, VM have said there's high usage and have raised a fault against it.
I’ve put a complaint in as this is the 2nd time so I want more than £10 a month knocking off my bill for what I am paying.

Although my speeds have been a lot better the last few days hopefully they react fast to the issue and not prolong it again.

Back
Top Bottom