First ever OCUK Sponsored VR Table Tennis Tournament

Soldato
For all the owners of Eleven: Table Tennis, your day has finally come. I am organising The first ever OCUK Table Tennis Tournament.

aQNtEQ9.png

Overclockers UK have kindly offered to donate a prize for the winner, maybe even a runners up prize. And it's because of them that this is been organised.

MnlnbAm.jpg

Since this is all new to everyone, this thread will be used to discuss the format of the competition, rules, etc. Things like,

Is it limited to OCUK forum members or open to everyone?
How many sets per match?
Will it be a league or cup competition?

Anything else you can think of just comment below. All suggestions welcome.

Do you think you have what it takes to take on your fellow forums members and win? Register your interest here :)

If you in want in post your name in a comment followed by "definitely in"

Players so far:

Lokiss
Rocksteddy
Rossiboy001
Slam
Uncle Petey
Borsch
Ale Bro
ArmitageShanks
CGrieves
Chris182008
Mmart94

Closing date for entry to the tournament is April 27th. So sign up as soon as possible.

Here is a Video to get you all in the mood :p

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Looking forward to this!

Format depends a little on how many players are entering once we have an idea of numbers we can decide on length of game. I'd like to see it open to forum members only. However if people want to make an account to be able to join in then I wouldn't ask for a minimum post count or something like that.

Soldato
I'm definitely game. The biggest issue is time I think, we need a window where matches can be played. Everything would be numbers depending, perhaps with 16+ a knockout competition that would give 8 match up's. A round 10 or so would suit a mini league. A best of 3 or maybe 5 games, 3 in a league, perhaps played twice over as a reverse fixture. 5 would better suit a small tournament.

In house would be a good thing. It'd be great to get the ball rolling on something simple like this, table tennis is totally pick up and play friendly in VR. I know I'm right in saying, any skill level just give it a shot!

Thanks for stepping up melmac, and ta for the generous offer from Ocuk:)

Associate
What a great Idea, nice going Melmac and OCUK i'm definitely up for this!

Would look forward to a rematch Melmac but I think I'd need to get some serious practice in :rolleyes::D

Steam Name: RockSteddie

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
What I would probably do is organise some heats on the forums to come up with 4 semi finalists. Then we can organise a date to play the semi finals. Live stream those semi's and the final and come up with a winner. That way the maximum number of people can join in the fun, there is something to play for and can have a meaningful end to the competition.

Thoughts?

Soldato
OP
I'm definitely game. The biggest issue is time I think, we need a window where matches can be played. Everything would be numbers depending, perhaps with 16+ a knockout competition that would give 8 match up's. A round 10 or so would suit a mini league. A best of 3 or maybe 5 games, 3 in a league, perhaps played twice over as a reverse fixture. 5 would better suit a small tournament

Having reverse fixtures is a great idea. I guess the final format will depend on the numbers who enter.

What I would probably do is organise some heats on the forums to come up with 4 semi finalists. Then we can organise a date to play the semi finals. Live stream those semi's and the final and come up with a winner. That way the maximum number of people can join in the fun, there is something to play for and can have a meaningful end to the competition.

Thoughts?

Another good idea, Having heats combined with home and away fixtures should lead to a pretty balanced tournament. I also agree with keeping it in house.

Keep the suggestions coming :)

OcUK Staff
Some people gonna get hustled :D

kfxHaiu.gif

Seriously make sure everything is random and above board if you are that good and end up winning otherwise people will call foul!

There is the other option whereby you just organise it but don't take part, and we'll sort you with some OcUK swag for your labours so that then no one can complain!

Soldato
OP
:D:D:D It's just a bit of banter. Rocksteddy and me are about the same skill level. And Fluke, well, Fluke is better at shooting things :p

And, Seriously, as organiser I was thinking of not playing unless to make up numbers. Thanks for the offer of swag, but really, I am happy to do it. Save the swag and give it to the runner up, or most entertaining player or best newcomer. Or, even better, maybe as a spot prize for one the spectators in the Final?

OcUK Staff
:D:D:D It's just a bit of banter. Rocksteddy and me are about the same skill level. And Fluke, well, Fluke is better at shooting things :p

And, Seriously, as organiser I was thinking of not playing unless to make up numbers. Thanks for the offer of swag, but really, I am happy to do it. Save the swag and give it to the runner up, or most entertaining player or best newcomer. Or, even better, maybe as a spot prize for one the spectators in the Final?

giphy.gif

Soldato
OP
Ok, Can people who are interested in playing please say so. Need to start getting an idea on numbers. If you want to play in the tournament post your name in a comment followed by "definitely in"

Will add your name to the opening post when you do.

Thank you.

Associate
Definitely in. Love this game. Had a go with this with the Vive Pro, with some Oculus addon app I cant remember the name which runs Oculus versions through steam. (I have the Oculus store version) Im guessing that not only does this not make the vibration feel on the wands destroying some of the illusion of hitting the ball, but the resolution will be Oculus version. Im assuming if i buy this through steam version that i will have better resolution and vibration or should i just stick to Oculus and run it with that HMD and knuckle controllers?

Soldato
OP
Definitely in. Love this game. Had a go with this with the Vive Pro, with some Oculus addon app I cant remember the name which runs Oculus versions through steam. (I have the Oculus store version) Im guessing that not only does this not make the vibration feel on the wands destroying some of the illusion of hitting the ball, but the resolution will be Oculus version. Im assuming if i buy this through steam version that i will have better resolution and vibration or should i just stick to Oculus and run it with that HMD and knuckle controllers?

Contact the guys from Eleven Table Tennis, they might give you a key for the steam Version. I know people on the rift got a key for the Oculus version when it was released.

Soldato
OP
Let other people know too, spread the word. More people involved the better. Might be able to get a regular event going.

Back
Top Bottom