Can you run Mac Mail in sync across 2 different macs?

Associate
I'm in a pickle.

I've got a 15 inch MBPr (early 2013), which I love, but I need more screen as the 15 inch is becoming frustrating.

Totally torn between buying a 27 inch iMac or simply adding a decent 24 inch monitor to my MBPr and using that as the primary screen. Clearly pro's and con's to both, second screen is way cheaper, I'll lose resolution, 27 inch iMac is a lot more money, more powerful and the screen will be better. The additional power is here nor there for me, the resolution will make a huge difference, but I'll be paying for it.

There's a thread in the hardware forum about it.

Anyhow......as per thread title.

If I go down the route of the iMac I'll keep the MBPr for client vists, trips away etc, my missus was going to bag it but that's not happening either way.

It is possible to run the same email accounts on Mac Mail on both Apple machines and keep them in sync? So emails replied to on one machine show the reply on another? Works this way on my phone (Gmail on an android - don't like iphones), but not sure if a second Mac can be tied in the same way?

Ta!

Associate
OP
Looking at my account settings in my current mac mail the accounts in question are all imap. Would I simply enter the details into the new mac mail or would there be any extra configuration to do?

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

If you enter them into the new mac mail, it should sync.
It's not so much that it's syncing, but rather that it is simply showing what's on the server. As long as sent items are stored on the server, everything should look the same everywhere.

Commissario
if I take my MacBook off the network, I still see the contents of my imap accounts. The contents are stored on the server with a local copy. If I'm working offline, when I reconnect, it all synchronises up.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies!

I'm very tempted to go with the mid-level 27 inch with an SSD and stick some extra memory in it myself. An additional screen on my MBPr would suffice to be honest, but the using the second screen as the main screen would mean I would be going backwards in resolution, which would peck my head in.

Maybe I'm a bit frivolous by doing the iMac instead of just a second screen, but the business will pay for it and I can claim the VAT back plus offset the cost against tax bill so it's not quite as painful in a way.

I'm renowned for buying something then a new model appears, is that likely in June?

Commissario
How likely is that to happen? I've done that before for nothing to have been announced.
You've already suggested that the laptop you have is powerful enough for your needs so you don't actually need to upgrade.

My logic for these things is simple. If the current spec of the machines on the market meet my requirements, I'll buy it. I won't wait for months for a possibility of an announcement that there might be a new model. I did that once before and waited for over a year for the much rumoured Mac Pro and I'm not doing it again.

The 2017 iMac is a very good piece of kit.

Back
Top Bottom