Need to replace DSLR - Not made of money you know!

Soldato
So, bought my wife a Canon EOS 500D about 9 years ago. She loves it to bits and has so got her money's worth from it. I talked about replacing it for her a number of times, but no - she is happy.
Disaster at the weekend, it has totally stopped working. Tried our spare battery, nothing. It has done us proud, but at 9 years old I'm happy to let this one go to the great camera heaven in the sky.

Now it wasn't the cheapest camera in the world when I bought it. I'm not looking to spend thousands etc.
I've noticed that the Canon 1300D keeps on coming up at a good price - right now at £400 for camera, 18-55 & 10-18 lenses and Connect Station (don't know what that is, I'll have to read up).
From the fact the 1300D is 9 years newer than the 500D I'm guessing it will be a good camera. Also wanting to stay in the Canon eco-system. Is the 1300D going to be a good purchase at £400 or can I get "as much camera" for less or should I be waiting a little longer and spending more?

Forgot to add - the £400 price I've see

Thanks for your input.

Associate
Personally don't think the 1300d is any better than the 500d apart from offering better connectivity options.
Personally I'd stretch the budget to a 200d or if that's out of budget the 100d from mpb.

Soldato
I'd go and actually try the camera and decide. Take your lens and an SD card with you take some snaps and then compare at home before deciding to buy. Don't use a retailer/shop to try the camera and go buy elsewhere though.

The difference in technology over the 9 years will be vast so you can assume you'd be getting a superior body, sensor and processor in the 1300D.

You can always wait longer and there will always be a better camera out there if you wait just a little more longer but the camera you actually have with you is the best camera you'll have.

P.S written after the Liverpool win a fair bit of Whiskey...

Associate
Excellent Camera only thing it's missing is wi-fi of the 1300d. But it's a newer sensor than the one in the 1300d. Digit 5 instead of 4.
https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...igital-slr-cameras/canon-eos-100d/sku-711650/

Or the newer 200d which has articulating screen and Wi-Fi.
https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...igital-slr-cameras/canon-eos-200d/sku-723518/
For £434 it's a bargain.

Those 200D's are used..

I'll give my input, I have a 1300D (Called a T6 here in Canada for some reason) with 50mm, 18-55mm, and 55-250mm lenses.
Once you learn how to use it, it takes great pictures. It's not the best though. I'd aim for what is sold here as the SL2 (200D in EU/UK).
Or you can pick up the brand new 800D. These are significantly more costly than the 1300D, but they are better. Higher MP sensor, swiveling screen with "touch to focus", better image processing, etc.
You only need to buy a body as if your current lens(es) are in good condition they will work on any of the other cameras in this range.

I'm quite sure (I know for sure the 1300D does) that the cameras I mentioned (1300/200/800D) all have Wi-Fi and NFC so you can move pics to your phone or use your phone as a video remote to take selfies or family pictures.

If you aren't tied down to Canon (ie, you only have a kit lens and not a proper collection of lenses) you can look at other options and some of the neat newer mirrorless stuff.

Associate
Those 200D's are used..

I'll give my input, I have a 1300D (Called a T6 here in Canada for some reason) with 50mm, 18-55mm, and 55-250mm lenses.
Once you learn how to use it, it takes great pictures. It's not the best though. I'd aim for what is sold here as the SL2 (200D in EU/UK).
Or you can pick up the brand new 800D. These are significantly more costly than the 1300D, but they are better. Higher MP sensor, swiveling screen with "touch to focus", better image processing, etc.
You only need to buy a body as if your current lens(es) are in good condition they will work on any of the other cameras in this range.

I'm quite sure (I know for sure the 1300D does) that the cameras I mentioned (1300/200/800D) all have Wi-Fi and NFC so you can move pics to your phone or use your phone as a video remote to take selfies or family pictures.

If you aren't tied down to Canon (ie, you only have a kit lens and not a proper collection of lenses) you can look at other options and some of the neat newer mirrorless stuff.

Nothing wrong with used. Having used mpb many times they are excellent.
I got my used T6 from them for £119 body only they stated it was heavily used and it's got one tiny scratch on the plastic body and a slight mark on the screen.

Soldato
Nothing wrong with used. Having used mpb many times they are excellent.
I got my used T6 from them for £119 body only they stated it was heavily used and it's got one tiny scratch on the plastic body and a slight mark on the screen.
I will never buy a brand new dlr the price premium is crazy! All my gear has been second hand right back to my 30D and I've saved a fortune!

Caporegime
£400 is used 750D money, if you have a decent lens just stick with it. 750D has better AF, stronger build, top LCD, articulating touch screen and a better image processor over the 1300D.

Caporegime
£400 is used 750D money, if you have a decent lens just stick with it. 750D has better AF, stronger build, top LCD, articulating touch screen and a better image processor over the 1300D.

It sounds like he's using the kit lens if he's looking at bundle packages, the thought of using a 9 year old 18-55mm makes me shudder. :p

Soldato
Now, this may sound like absolute heresy to the GAS fanatics on here, but have you considered just grabbing another 500D body?

You can pickup one for ~£150 with 6 months warranty, e.g. https://www.parkcameras.com/p/SH-48-2145/used-canon-digital-slr-cameras/canon/used-canon-500d-body

Absolutely nothing wrong with the 500D at all, and for most 'normal' photographers, I'd be surprised if adding a new body did much more than provide shiny features, most of which never get used :p

Considering she was happy with the 500D, the other tempting option in my book would be replacing with the model level up from the 500D- The 50D (Semi-pro, as opposed to the basic consumer model)
Larger / heavier, but has better metering options and other interesting little features, as well as being much better built.

You'll get much better value from doing this and / or upgrading the glass than you will from upgrading to the most recent consumer level model; All this'll give you is some interesting little gimmicks, such as the rotating screen and WIFI- Alright, sometimes useful, but sure as hell won't do anything for your pictures.
If anyone says the new body will make the pictures better, they're talking absolute rot unless you're a grade A pro with stupidly expensive glass.

Back
Top Bottom