New build assistance

Associate
OP
since you're buying a new monitor anyway, at this point, rather get a 580 + free sync monitor than a 1060 without a gsync monitor.

And if I were to go down this route, are there aftermarket coolers that are decent enough to keep the card less noisy? Really want to avoid having a card that is really loud particularly playing games

Man of Honour
you can't go too far wrong with any of the aftermarket coolers already on the card.
but at over £300, one is starting to go into 1070-pricing territory there.
i wouldn't suggest you pay more than £300 for a 580 8gb, which should be closer to £200-220 if it weren't for the mining craze

Associate
And if I were to go down this route, are there aftermarket coolers that are decent enough to keep the card less noisy? Really want to avoid having a card that is really loud particularly playing games
The card isn't very noisy, particularly when you under volt and use Radeon Chill, but it won't be completely silent. I have the RX 570 version, and the cooler is okay - nothing special but not terrible.

Then again, this all depends on how near the PC will actually be and how much noise bothers you.

Soldato
Card is quiet, very quiet . Enough heatpipes in there. I overclocked the living day lights out of it, and then the XYR version , you could just pump voltage into the thing haha

Also OEM i5 don't come with a heat sink. Just a plastic moulded holder shipped in a brown box :)

You've also got Intel more power now but shorter upgrade option, ryzen will improve over time and better upgrade options . Choices choices :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So, I've been doing a bit of research and tinkering with components (knew this would happen) - I think I am decided on the 2600 so its really a question of GPU thats sort of stumping me.

Anyway, anyone got thoughts on the below, particularly the 1070 card? Factoring in the MSI curved monitor or the Samsung (which I can find at £180) comes in around the £1,100 mark. Slightly over budget but is the 1070 worth it? Otherwise, I think I might settle for the 1060 over the 580. I would consider buying a monitor that is 1440p if 1070 was an option though I appreciate I won't be getting the best monitor.

Also looked at the Samsung UE50 4K 1ms monitor, but I suspect the above build isn't going to handle 4k on the games I play?

Last edited:
Associate
So, I've been doing a bit of research and tinkering with components (knew this would happen) - I think I am decided on the 2600 so its really a question of GPU thats sort of stumping me.

Anyway, anyone got thoughts on the below, particularly the 1070 card? Factoring in the MSI curved monitor or the Samsung (which I can find at £180) comes in around the £1,100 mark. Slightly over budget but is the 1070 worth it? Otherwise, I think I might settle for the 1060 over the 580. I would consider buying a monitor that is 1440p if 1070 was an option though I appreciate I won't be getting the best monitor.

Also looked at the Samsung UE50 4K 1ms monitor, but I suspect the above build isn't going to handle 4k on the games I play?
That's a cracking price for GTX 1070, wasn't expecting one so cheap. Definitely a better option than the RX 580 at £300.
For 4K gaming all the cards mentioned (1070 included) will struggle to hit 60fps in modern games at reasonable settings. I'd stick to that low-priced Samsung 1080p monitor with the GTX 1070, especially since you mainly play CS:GO where max FPS matters so much.

I'd recommend swapping to a fully-modular PSU - to make building and cable management easier in that small case, and atleast 1 140mm intake fan on the front:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £100.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

• More airflow will mean a quieter system and lower temps for greater system longevity.
  • The Seasonic PSU is fully-modular and has a 10 year warranty (Bitfenix is only 5) and uses better internal components.

Last edited:
Soldato
Keep to the MSI screen to keep costs down, also the Formula PSU and will keeps the costs down.
Focus is a neat little unit and fully modular certainly helps along with 10 year warranty - (but if the unit goes in 9 years you'll be replacing with a refurb unit that behind its rivals ) plus you can pick up a Riotoro 650w unit for cheaper which is exactly the same PSU with different label :D
If you do want piece of mind then grab the MSI screen and the focus unit and should balance out cost . Don't forget, the higher the Hz the slightly less in colour accuracy
Not worth going over a budget by a large amount - specially when it all gets outdated in years time haha .
Fans above will help keep positive airflow so Less dust built up inside the case and supply the GPU with cool air
Gtx 1070 will help drive that 144hz at a higher rate and would have less issues with frame rate drops and needing sync tech

Associate
OP
Thanks, will look into this. Since I’ve come across the cheap 1070 I think I’ll buy the majority of components here and then use other supplier for motherboard and CPU and get them to flash it for the extra cost.

Just reviewing the monitor side of things again, I would really like to try and get one at a 1440 resolution. I was looking at the AOC 27” 1ms monitor currently going for £200. It seems to have some decent reviews for a sub-200 monitor and granted it has a refresh rate of 60hz and the Samsung / MSI is a step up but I am trying to get the best of both worlds to allow me odd hours of gaming but a decent enough (and this is where “big and nice” comes into play) monitor for other stuff such as working from home.

Am I likely to run into drastic problems with the 1070 and the AOC monitor when gaming? From what I’ve read, it doesn’t sound like I would but I’m not the expert!

Or even the bigger brother 31.5” option with a refresh of 75hz, though I understand that has a 4ms rate and not sure how that computes into gaming terms or if it’s not good enough

Last edited:
Soldato
Depends on your gaming style , if you like fast action games that are in FP viewpoint having a 144hz monitor wins hands down personally. If like me , you like RTS and building games then 1440p what ever Hz wins due to seeing more on screen and you don't need to see a road system running at 164hz/FPS :)
1070 is a nice card as it handles 144hz 1080p monitors or 60hz 1440p .
My friend couldn't get his AOC 32" 1440p to go above 60hz when using Nvidia card , not sure if rest have been able to

Man of Honour
Or even the bigger brother 31.5” option with a refresh of 75hz, though I understand that has a 4ms rate and not sure how that computes into gaming terms or if it’s not good enough
At work at the moment will reply to the thread fully when I get home

i have this monitor (and i'm using it as my main monitor. it's a very good monitor for the price, and freesync + 75hz for £200 is very good value.
however it's based on old/last generation VA technology, so depending on panel quality, ghosting may be pretty evident.
also the screen lag is noticeable (but that's me coming from a TN panel)
if you had only £200 to spend on a large screen, this would be a good call, but if you can spend more on a better monitor, i'd recommend that you do so.

Associate
OP
Thanks tamzzy , I think I am almost ready to make an order.

The 1070 I mentioned on here has suddenly gone up in price to £389 however I have found a Palit 1070ti version for only £10 more, so I think I'm going to jump to that one although it comes from a different supplier.

As for the monitor, I would really like the 31" but I think I am going to opt for the AOC 27" which is the in between - not sure I have space for the 31" anyway on my desk.

I will be looking to place this order today so hopefully everything arrives in the next 48hours!

Associate
OP
Actually, I correct myself, I thought it was the Palit and yes that would have been the dual but actually opted for the MSI ARMOR one - that sufficient?

Associate
OP
Ahh, well order has already been placed now and en-route. Will have to wait and see when it arrives is it really that bad?

Associate
OP
I see, thanks. The only alternative close to budget was the Gigabyte Windforce version for £20 more or the EVGA Gaming ACX version for the same price

Back
Top Bottom