Thermal grizzly kryonaut? Vs MX4 and how much?

Soldato
I'm looking to buy a xeon for my x79 board and want to be able to give it the best chance of overclocking possible.

I currently have my 3930k under mx4 but i think it can do better.

My questions are is the kyronaut better and how much will i need for my cpu and my 980ti if i get round to doing that too?

overclockers sell it in 1g and 5.5g amounts

thanks

Dave

Associate
no, kyronaut is unlikely to give you any better results than other good pastes. I personally are not a fan of it but others like it. I use cryorig CP7 on CPU and GPU (both AIO cooled)

Soldato
I'm looking to buy a xeon for my x79 board and want to be able to give it the best chance of overclocking possible.

My questions are is the kyronaut better and how much will i need for my cpu and my 980ti if i get round to doing that too?

thanks

Dave

Depends what you're trying to achieve

If you want the best temps humanly possible because you're going for max overclocks to compete in benchmarks get Grizzly

For general everyday use you have to decide whether a 300% increase in price for Grizzly is worth the 5 to 8% lower temps which I don't think it is

Soldato

thanks

Dave

Use whatever TIM you are most comfortable with because as has already been said, there is very little difference in heat transfer ability between top 30+ TIMs.

Instead of buying expensive TIM, put the money toward the cost of a couple 3 good intake fans .. depending on what case you are using.

Most systems will gain lower component temps by owner spending a little time monitoring airflow air temp into coolers /over hot spots and adding / changing case fans to get better case airflow. Most cases out of the box do not have enough fans, and many come with fans that are almost worthless.

Fractal Design sell very nice cases with absolutely horrible case fans. Phanteks sell very nice cases wit good fans, but not enough of them.

I've found most cases don't need exhaust fans if we use good pressure rated intake fans.

Here is link to basic guide to case airflow:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Soldato
OP
thanks for the replies fellas. i'm watercooling and currently have 1 x thick 240mm rad, 1 x thick 120mm rad and 1x thin 240 rad. Fans are corsair high static pressure ones, at the time i change chips i'm thinking off swapping the little 1x 240 rad for a thick 140mm one. the thick 240rad at the bottom of my case and 120 at the front intake air the thin 240 rad at the top is where the air is exhausted.

i'm trying to wait for the new noctua fans before buying any more - ooh just checked and they're out already!! Time to get the corsairs on MM.

Case is a coolermaster cm690 advanced II. old school i know

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it true that kryonaut dries out really quickly?

Does Thermal Grizzly recommend that you re-apply it after a year or two like some of the other pastes?

Soldato
Is it true that kryonaut dries out really quickly?

Does Thermal Grizzly recommend that you re-apply it after a year or two like some of the other pastes?

If you don't store it correctly it'll dry out the same as any paste, They ship it in a ziplock bag for storage.

Not had any problems with needing to reapply paste.

Soldato
I've seen people say that it dries out quickly after applying it so i wondered if there was any problems with temperature creep after a couple of years that it ends up no better than MX-4?

Soldato
So the reviews and benchmarks that claim a 2 degree improvement over MX-4 can be taken with a pinch of salt as it does seem rather expensive for the amount Kryonaut that you get?

Soldato
am using grizzly kryonaut and my temps are great :)
61c at 5ghz with air cooling (8700k)

But I don't actually know how much my low temperatures has to do with the grizzly kryonaut Thermal Paste

Man of Honour
So the reviews and benchmarks that claim a 2 degree improvement over MX-4 can be taken with a pinch of salt as it does seem rather expensive for the amount Kryonaut that you get?

One of the problems I find with the reviews - they often insist on applying all the pastes the same way for "consistency" but some have application notes that do make a difference - albeit only a degree or two - but that can be where the slight difference comes from rather than the actual difference in the performance of the pastes :(

Back
Top Bottom