Question, is the Nikon D5300 best dslr to buy for around £500 or less?

Caporegime
You can get a used Nikon D7200 used for around £500, it's a significantly better camera.

Twice the battery life, vastly better viewfinder, better AF system, greater lens compatibility, 2 card slots, weather sealed, faster shooting speed with quadruple the buffer size, and much better ergonomics with an extra dial, plus some extra features like AF fine tuning.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi All,

Sorry to bump this old thread but it seemed better than starting a new one.
I'm looking for my first DSLR to play around with and recently a used D7000 (<20000 shutter activiations) came up for sale for £370 (includes 1 lens and some other minor things). Would i better of getting a D7000 or waiting for a D5300 to go on sale and picking that up?

Soldato
I'll keep an eye out and see if i can get it at the right price. Thanks
I have one, brilliant camera. Have you thought about lenses? I suspect if you buy used it might come with a kit lens, but if you ever find yourself buying just a body, consider the 35mm f1.8 DX prime lens for your first purchase (it's a 50mm equivalent if you're talking 35mm), cracking lens and super sharp for less than 150 quid new.

Caporegime
Also, don’t forget the 7 series have the LCD on top for viewing settings quickly. I used to think this wasn’t that important, but I find it invaluable now on my 7200 and will never buy another DSLR without one.

One thing to note is that if you wanted to have a go at Sports or fast action photography, then the 7200 is a far better option as it has a much larger continuous shooting RAW buffer. The 7100 takes around 3 images before the buffer fills. It then goes to 1 image a second. The 7200 will rattle off around 18 14-bit RAW images in a row, more if you choose the 1.3x crop option. Much better for action photography.

Caporegime
Also, don’t forget the 7 series have the LCD on top for viewing settings quickly. I used to think this wasn’t that important, but I find it invaluable now on my 7200 and will never buy another DSLR without one.

One thing to note is that if you wanted to have a go at Sports or fast action photography, then the 7200 is a far better option as it has a much larger continuous shooting RAW buffer. The 7100 takes around 3 images before the buffer fills. It then goes to 1 image a second. The 7200 will rattle off around 18 14-bit RAW images in a row, more if you choose the 1.3x crop option. Much better for action photography.

It's not quite that bad. :p The buffer of the D7000 holds 12 raw images and the D7100 8, D7200 is 26.

Is MBP a good place to pick up a camera (£404 -449)? Are there any alternative places?

Ebay.

Caporegime
Soldato
Ok, so when I’m shooting in continuous, why do I only get 18 images before buffer fills?

Oh, and check this for 14 bit lossless shooting https://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/e/Q5NM9...A8w==/PDF/D7200-D7100_Comparison_Sheet_en.pdf
While more would be nice, its a bit out of my price range. Also you can kind of "compensate" by getting a UHS class 3 card.

Talking about SDcards. I'm assuming that a micro sdcard with an adaptor should work just as well as a full sized sd card?
Just checking because i can't shake the bad feeling that there might be something i've overlooked.

Caporegime
Not at lossless 14 bit shooting. Trust me, I’ve got a D7200. It’s around 18 raw images.

Don't shoot 14bit for action, and lossless also pointless.

14bit lossless only makes sense when you take the time to use a tripod,remote shutter,expose to right,etc. TTo maximize image quality when you do significant amounts of post processing in photoshop.

For anything hand held quickly processed in lightroom makes no difference

Back
Top Bottom