FIFA World Cup 2018 - Quarter-finals [6/7 July] **spoilers**

Caporegime
This is garbage.

Out of all of the so called 'top' teams that have been eliminated the only team I would have been nervous about would have been Brazil.

Croatia face a bigger threat to us than the likes of Germany and Spain or even Argentina.

I am not sure if you are watching the same World Cup as me but they all looked bang average or poor. This is why they were on a plane home early.

Back on topic....of course I would like England to win, but against Belgium or France in the final......I dont believe we can win it.
Oh calm your knickers lol.

And no **** Sherlock that the Argies, Germans and the Spanish are back home lol. Doesn’t take a genius to figure out why they are out, all 3 were pretty shocking tbh.

I’m quite looking forward to the final myself, even moreso if England manage to get there. And I think they will because Croatia looked pretty average against Russia of all teams.

I’ve still got my money on either Belgium or France to win the WC but equally I think England has a very good chance of winning it too.

Caporegime
At no moment, there was a penalty for Brasil. The contact between Kompany and Gabriel Jesus happened after Jesus sent the ball outside the pitch, so even without a contact, there wouldn't have been any chance for him whatsoever to play with the ball. Hence, the correct decision NOT to award a meaningless penalty.

There's no law in Football about it not being a foul if the ball is leaving play and a foul in the penalty area is a penalty. There's really no sensible argument that it wasn't a penalty by the letter of the law. In my opinion, the referees chose to ignore the letter of the law and go instead with their judgement and the spirit of the law. Should they do that? I'm not sure but it certainly appeals to our sense of natural justice.

Soldato
i think we will beat Croatia and go through to final. If Belgium are in final i think we will win world cup as we will have different team than what we played them last with. If France go through i think we may be coming home empty handed

Man of Honour
England haters are sad tbh. Basically just excuses after the other.

Easy qualifying group.
Easiest world cup group.
Lucky decisions.
Easy knockout route

I bet even if we win the WC the haters won't acknowledge it.

Caporegime
There's no law in Football about it not being a foul if the ball is leaving play and a foul in the penalty area is a penalty. There's really no sensible argument that it wasn't a penalty by the letter of the law. In my opinion, the referees chose to ignore the letter of the law and go instead with their judgement and the spirit of the law. Should they do that? I'm not sure but it certainly appeals to our sense of natural justice.

Isn't the rule about denying a goal scoring opportunity?

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

It was impossible for Jesus to have got the ball assuming it wasn't already out of play at the time of contact. Common sense would say it's a dead ball situation similar to when the Colombian head butted Henderson in the area.

Don
It’s the very first thing that Law 12 says, free kicks/penalties can only be given for fouls whilst the ball is in play.

If the ball had fully crossed the touch line and it seemed clear it had from VAR before the player is brought down then the ref can’t give a foul, he should give a goal kick and possibly yellow/red card to the defender depending on how bad the tackle was.

Caporegime
Isn't the rule about denying a goal scoring opportunity?

No. It's not. That's for whether there should be a card as well as a penalty.

It was impossible for Jesus to have got the ball assuming it wasn't already out of play at the time of contact. Common sense would say it's a dead ball situation similar to when the Colombian head butted Henderson in the area.

That might be a common sense interpretation but it is unquestionably not what the Laws of Football say:

1. Ball out of play
    The ball is out of play when:
    • it has wholly passed over the goal line or touchline on the ground or
    in the air
    • play has been stopped by the referee
  2. Ball in play
    The ball is in play at all other times, including when it rebounds off a match
    official, goalpost, crossbar or corner flagpost and remains in the field of play.

Soldato
I think we stand a more than even chance against Croatia, Croatia looked knackered in last night's game, and had quite a few players needing to be subbed due to injuries. Modric is quality though and even at the late stages of the game showed what a danger he can be.

Having a Belgium - England final could be interesting, as both teams would be playing properly this time. I kind of expect France to win the next one though.

Caporegime
It’s the very first thing that Law 12 says, free kicks/penalties can only be given for fouls whilst the ball is in play.

When it's left play, yes, but not when it's leaving play.

If the ball had fully crossed the touch line and it seemed clear it had from VAR before the player is brought down then the ref can’t give a foul, he should give a goal kick and possibly yellow/red card to the defender depending on how bad the tackle was.

Contact occurs before the ball leaves play.

Caporegime
I'm not convinced that's the actual contact though, but Kompany pulling his legs back, the slow motion VAR from behind the goal is clearer, but I can't find an upload of it.

In any case, if there's doubt about whether the ball has actually left play, then I agree that by the letter there is a question of whether it should be penalty. In the replays I've seen it seems clear enough that it occurs prior to the ball leaving play but maybe as you say it's not as clear from other angles.

Associate
I think a lot of people go with history and brand names. If Croatia played better in this world cup over Germany, people would still fear Germany.

It's the same with the pundits banging on about Brazil when in reality they've been very average.
Yet they still had plenty of opportunities to beat Belgium, it was just woeful finishing that let Belgium through.

Back
Top Bottom