Offered a new job that's fell through!!

Man of Honour
That sucks but as said by others this is why you don't resign until yoy have a contract. Getting benefits will also be difficult as it would be deemed that you made yourself unemployed.

Good luck though. The home mechanic idea is a good one. Give that a try. If you were closer to me then I need a few things doing. But sadly your too far.

Capodecina
Soldato
Shouldnt you always get a job offer in writing because of this?
Would a Contract of Employment actually help significantly?
I suspect that there would be a short(ish) notice period for a job as a mechanic and a probationary period involved. I guess that it is just about possible that he could claim for unfair dismissal but I doubt that breach of contract would help much.

Caporegime
Do you have anything like e-mails or an offer letter etc...?

Could be worth getting some advice in that case as they still offered you a job whether you've got an official contract or not.

Soldato
Wrong advice above. A contract can be agreed verbally but is far harder to prove what was agreed.

You won't be able to claim unfair dismissal in these circumstances as you need 2 years service.

You can claim breach of contract but you're probably only looking at the statutory notice period i.e one weeks pay unless you can prove there was a greater period of notice? Again not having anything in writing makes it difficult. ..

All of which you need to ask yourself the question is it worth it? Probably not and just one of life's lessons, not that's any consolation.

Soldato
Would a Contract of Employment actually help significantly?
I suspect that there would be a short(ish) notice period for a job as a mechanic and a probationary period involved. I guess that it is just about possible that he could claim for unfair dismissal but I doubt that breach of contract would help much.

Wouldn't loss of earnings comes into play for at least the notice period?

daz

daz

Soldato
Only thing you can really claim for is for the notice period. Otherwise get out there looking for a job ASAP.

Caporegime
Do you have anything like e-mails or an offer letter etc...?

Could be worth getting some advice in that case as they still offered you a job whether you've got an official contract or not.

The thing is even if you could argue there was a verbal contract in place, as a new employee they will just let you go. The UK has terrible employee protections.

OP, you can always contact your old employer and explain the situation. If they like you and you left on good terms, and you do a kind fo job that doesn't mater too much if you leave in 6 months, then a good chance they will take you back.

Otherwise start again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
The thing is even if you could argue there was a verbal contract in place, as a new employee they will just let you go. The UK has terrible employee protections.

true, first 2 years you're not safe these days, I'd want to pursue them out of principle though as what they've done is highly unethical, if he can only get 1 week's wages out of them then so be it

Soldato

And terrible employer protections too. We had a night driver who was using the work van during the day to shift building materials and falsifying OT claims and we had to settle out of court as that was cheaper than fighting his BS.

Don
A new contract wouldn't have been much use anyway, the probation period would have only been a week and if they lost a work contract, they would have just sacked him during the probation. He might have gained a weeks wages, but he'd still be out of a job.

Caporegime
Having resigned he may not be able to immediately.

Wasn't he let go?

As in he handed his notice and worked it. Took a 1 week break as new job didn't start for a week. They then phoned him and said sorry we need to let you go we lost a contract.

Therefore his last job ended before it started. he was let go.

also the job centre would never check anyway. all he needs to say is he was let go.

Man of Honour
Wasn't he let go?

As in he handed his notice and worked it. Took a 1 week break as new job didn't start for a week. They then phoned him and said sorry we need to let you go we lost a contract.

also the job centre would never check anyway. all he needs to say is he was let go.
He didn't have a contract for a job at the new company so he wasn't e.ployed there. He was employed until he resigned voluntarily from the old company.

Soldato
Wasn't he let go?

But he hasn't signed a contract so was never employed? :confused: You come out with some absolute rubbish :D

Back
Top Bottom