• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Never been overclocked..........

Associate
I've noticed a great many cpu's for sale recently and its always the same thing, water cooled, high end motherboard (rampages etc) and then the magic words "never been overclocked".

Am i just getting old and cynical when i cry B.S ? . In the past I've bought 2 "never been overclocked" cpu's and both were total lemons as if they have been thrashed within an inch of their silicon. One was a 4930k that was unstable at stock volts the other was a 5930k that couldn't even reach 4ghz and died soon afterwards (luckily intel replaced it and the replacement was as good as gold).

Your thoughts ?

Soldato
Sounds like there is a reason they have "never been overclocked". They tested it and didn't get good results.

I tend to ask for the opposite when buying, I want to know what overclock they managed to achieve.

Caporegime
I'd imagine there's a few reasons inlcuding those mentioned above, another is that some buyers might take what you say as gospel, so if you say you say you had it at 5ghz with your Maximus Formula and 360mm watercooled system and the buyer plonks it in a B360 with a normal heatsink they aren't going to get the same results and will be left disappointed. There's also the issue that what is defined as stable seems to have become subjective, some people believe that as long as the CPU does what they want in normal day to day usage without throwing up any fatal errors that it's stable. I probably fall into the wimp category that pandem0nium mentioned in that I take stability as being that the CPU is every bit as stable as it was at stock (ie still able to Prime etc) and I hate temperatures getting too high, I also no longer bother with extreme hardware like top end motherboards and watercooling so I tend to just overclock with a minor voltage increase to the limit of the chip and then back off a little to leave some headroom. The chips I sell probably sound like stinkers and buyers are probably pleasantly surprised but it's better that way than the other way around with the buyer wanting to return a chip because it doesn't do the overclock the seller said it would in their own completely different (inferior) hardware.

Last edited:
Associate
Sounds like there is a reason they have "never been overclocked". They tested it and didn't get good results.

I tend to ask for the opposite when buying, I want to know what overclock they managed to achieve.
Like you I'd far rather buy a chip that has been owned by someone competent and who clocked it appropriately.

Soldato
Like you I'd far rather buy a chip that has been owned by someone competent and who clocked it appropriately.

That reminds me the CPUs and GPUs sold over the years :)
When decided to sell the GTX1080 Armor and wrote the actual overclocks (adding links from my futuremark results), had 10 bids in an hour, and sold it 50% higher than the price bought it. :D (2190 on water, 2148 on air).

Then did the same for the Nano and the FuryX. Both sold with profit also. (1100 core the Nano, 1190 the FX).

The "has not been overclocked" as @muon said, means either is a lemon on overclocking, or it was oced to the end of it's life with some high voltages running max out 24/7.
Same applied to "it was not in mining ring", yet you see the same seller selling a dozen of the same GPUs :p

Soldato
In the past I've bought 2 "never been overclocked" cpu's and both were total lemons as if they have been thrashed within an inch of their silicon.

That's not a realistic reason for a CPU not being good at overclocking. They are so hard to damage without instant failure that it's extremely rare to hear that a cpu is in any state other than perfectly working or perfectly dead.

So if it sucks when you got it, it always did.

Some people are now talking about graphics cards which are not just one chip but a whole bundle of connected components and solder joints. Vastly more failure modes are possible and likely for graphics cards.

Soldato
To be fair, my 1600X was genuinely never overclocked. It got briefly overvolted for about 5 minutes until I worked out that the stupid motherboard slammed vcore to 1.6 (!!!) when adding so much as 0.25 to the multiplier. RIP overclock.

But on the whole, never been overclocked is likely to be a lie, especially with Intel. The K premium is far too high to NOT do at least an "auto" OC, which will promptly push far too many volts at it, shorten the lifespan and reduce its maximum stable clocks.

Personally when I eventually move on from this 8700k, I'll be happy to say that it's lived it's life at 5ghz and 1.355v. Because a knowledgeable buyer will be reassured by this.

Soldato
Depends on what they are using it for, most people building systems don't overclock as they don't know how and don't want to risk it.

I'll always list mine as being clocked under water and what speeds it's been ran at.

Soldato
I probably fall into the wimp category that pandem0nium mentioned in that I take stability as being that the CPU is every bit as stable as it was at stock (ie still able to Prime etc) and I hate temperatures getting too high, I also no longer bother with extreme hardware like top end motherboards and watercooling so I tend to just overclock with a minor voltage increase to the limit of the chip and then back off a little to leave some headroom. The chips I sell probably sound like stinkers and buyers are probably pleasantly surprised but it's better that way than the other way around with the buyer wanting to return a chip because it doesn't do the overclock the seller said it would in their own completely different (inferior) hardware.

Nah, that was aimed only at sellers who use that term. Good on you for tweaking with stock volts to get the most out of it.

Man of Honour
It's not as if anyone could prove that they have been overclocked or a GPU mined on anyway so it's a moot point. Personally I would pay a little extra for a decent clocker when buying and I have always stated the overclocks that I have achieved when I sell things and tend to get a better price for them. With my setup my overclocked cpu's and gpu's run at way lower temps than stock cpu's and gpu's. Voltage is the important one and I wouldn't touch a cpu that needed high voltage to be stable when overclocked.

Back
Top Bottom