Boris and the burka

Soldato
In some ways its good that it is being discussed/brought to the forefront by Boris but it just feel like he has put it badly.

This is the standard argument that possibly no longer stands up in modern society.

Well as we know, most of modern society is pretty dumb.

But the point still stands, it's not racist to criticize Islam. It might get you stoned to death though depending on where you do it...

Caporegime
So in what way was it racist considering Islam isn't a race?

Human races don't exist.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-considine/muslims-are-not-a-race_b_8591660.html
Muslims Aren’t A Race, So I Can’t Be Racist, Right? Wrong

Let me be clear here. There is nothing rational about Islamophobia. Treating Muslims poorly because they are Muslim is racism. It is that simple. If someone gives a Muslim women wearing the hijab a dirty look, sorry, but you are racist. If someone assaults a Muslim woman wearing the hijab — which has recently happened in Toronto — yeah, you are a racist. Time to face the music.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politi...ophobia-what-it-mainstream-anti-muslim-racism

Anyone who argues that anti-Muslim sentiments are not racist because they focus on “religious or cultural practices”, rather than on ethnic or racial characteristics, is being disingenuous. Suggesting that there is a clear line between hatred and fear of Islam (the ideology) and prejudice against ordinary individual Muslims (who may or may not practice the religion) is being deceitful. And conflating and erasing all the diversity and differences within Muslim minority communities so you can vilify them as a group is manifestly racism in every other guise. Let’s not pretend that anti-Muslim racism is anything else.

http://news.rice.edu/2017/09/14/isl...rm-of-racism-mixed-with-cultural-intolerance/

We often hear that because Muslims are not a race, people cannot be racist for attacking Muslims,” Considine said. “This argument does not stack up. It is a simplistic way of thinking that overlooks the role that race plays in Islamophobic hate crimes.”

Soldato
This is the standard argument that possibly no longer stands up in modern society.
I wonder what branch of modern society deemed it necessary to develop and project group identify to the nth degree. Although I am somewhat on-board acknowledging that prejudices can overlap and extend beyond the boundaries of specific adjectives and nouns. I'm not sure it's warranted or needed in most of cases. Another topic for another day though ...

Associate
Would it be racist say people that wear Balaclavas look like bank robbers?
no, because the reason most people wear balaclava's particularly in urban settings instead of up mountains in winter is because more often than not they intent to commit a crime hence the reason for covering their face, be it bank robbery, assault, murder, or anything else..

Commiting a crime is not and has never been the reason for women that choose to wear a niqab or a burka.

Soldato
no, because the reason most people wear balaclava's particularly in urban settings instead of up mountains in winter is because more often than not they intent to commit a crime hence the reason for covering their face, be it bank robbery, assault, murder, or anything else..

Commiting a crime is not and has never been the reason for women that choose to wear a niqab or a burka.

That's prejudice.

The balaclava has a history dating back to the middle ages. It's cultural dress.

Caporegime

Apart from the ones that use them to hide AK’s in before committing terrorist attacks.

Caporegime
So some articles by the press makes it "racist" by definition?

Nope.

No, articles by Academic professors who have published in peer-reviewed scientific journals state with evidence and reason why Islamophobia is racism. The press have simply reported on what the worlds experts in this filed consider to be racism.

Soldato

What about in country's where they wear them for protection from the elements?

Soldato
TBH, the way people think these days, a Burka is a terrible way to disguise and not draw attention as a robber.

I think if you walked into a bank in one, pulled out a gun and then said 'give me all your money', the cashiers would feel relieved its just a robbery. :p

Associate
I've seen a few interviews with women who wear the burka, and one worrying aspect of this "personal choice" is when they try to elaborate - it becomes abundantly clear they think all men will suddenly lose control of their sexual urges upon seeing an uncovered female face.

Here's one example:

I don't know what's more offensive/delusional, the notion that I will become uncontrollably attracted to this woman the instant I see her face, or that women wearing the burka deem themselves more attractive than all other women?

Associate
What about in country's where they wear them for protection from the elements?
err, I pretty much covered that with my reference to being up a mountain in winter, and yes, that is their original intended use, not however on the streets of Belfast or London in the middle of summer.

Associate
So you are saying a grown man, with experience in politics, can say what he wants (even if he knows better), because children have no filter?

Well, I guess you are right in terms of Boris basically being an oversized toddler. :D

I agree with what he said and yes he lacks a filter, I don't agree with how he said it...

Back
Top Bottom