Boris and the burka

Soldato
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45083275

He said he felt "fully entitled" to expect women to remove face coverings when talking to him at his MP surgery - and schools and universities should be able to take the same approach if a student "turns up... looking like a bank robber".

"If you tell me that the burka is oppressive, then I am with you," he said.

"If you say that it is weird and bullying to expect women to cover their faces, then I totally agree - and I would add that I can find no scriptural authority for the practice in the Koran.

"I would go further and say that it is absolutely ridiculous that people should choose to go around looking like letter boxes."

Only he would come out with that!

Do you agree with him?

I certainly do.

Soldato
Thats not what i was asking.

Kind of was? You asked if people agree with him, The_Abyss clearly doesn't agree with him to a point he needs to attack him.

Personally, I agree with him. But not for the same principle as he's stating. Wearing one is fine and is anyones right to regardless of religion or not. But if it's a security issue then you should be expected to remove any head gear you have regardless of it i's religious or not. This is 2018, not 1018... Religion should not have such a hold over the current civilisation.

Man of Honour
Kind of was? You asked if people agree with him, The_Abyss clearly doesn't agree with him to a point he needs to attack him.

Personally, I agree with him. But not for the same principle as he's stating. Wearing one is fine and is anyones right to regardless of religion or not. But if it's a security issue then you should be expected to remove any head gear you have regardless of it i's religious or not. This is 2018, not 1018... Religion should not have such a hold over the current civilisation.

Boris Johnson is opposed to a ban. The OP didn't quote that part.

I agree with him, although I'm in two minds about a ban. Having said that, I'm in two minds about outlawing religion entirely. It's extremely dangerous, but is that enough to over-ride personal freedom? But is there any personal freedom when children are indoctrinated into an ideology? Is that a free choice, especially if leaving the ideology is forbidden?

Caporegime

This. But I don’t agree with Boris having to mock and call names. I expect better from the future PM.

Soldato
Boris Johnson is opposed to a ban. The OP didn't quote that part.

I agree with him, although I'm in two minds about a ban. Having said that, I'm in two minds about outlawing religion entirely. It's extremely dangerous, but is that enough to over-ride personal freedom? But is there any personal freedom when children are indoctrinated into an ideology? Is that a free choice, especially if leaving the ideology is forbidden?

Oh! I didn't read, FU OP, post the whole story lol, help me with my laziness!

I dislike the idea of a ban, it's one extreme to the other. Just meet in the middle, private places have the right to ask you to remove what ever head covering you have, be it a baseball cap or what ever. Same goes for any sites the council wish so as well. Outlawing religion is daft and will never happen sadly. As it's still a strong thing to a vast majority of the human race. Whilst there are dark corners of it, for the most part it helps people in my opinion.

It's just a shame people are dumb enough to kill each other over it.

Soldato
i see he is being accused of islamophobia, which is a bit rich considering the burka has nothing to do with the koran and many Islamic countries have banned it.

Associate
If there is no compulsion for women to cover their faces in Islam, then they have no religious grounds for objection when asked to remove it.
And on that basis, anyone asking them to remove it cannot be called an Islamophobe.

Edit: beaten by aardvark!!

Soldato
OP
Oh! I didn't read, help me with my laziness!

I dislike the idea of a ban, it's one extreme to the other. Just meet in the middle, private places have the right to ask you to remove what ever head covering you have, be it a baseball cap or what ever. Same goes for any sites the council wish so as well. Outlawing religion is daft and will never happen sadly. As it's still a strong thing to a vast majority of the human race. Whilst there are dark corners of it, for the most part it helps people in my opinion.

It's just a shame people are dumb enough to kill each other over it.

I agree

Back
Top Bottom