Which ultrawide 100Hz+ Gsync?

Soldato
I have been running a 60Hz 3440x1440 for a few years and recently went for a Predator X34 for Gsync and higher refresh. I am very impressed by the experience but will be sending the monitor back as there is some pretty bad backlight bleed on it.

Not sure whether to risk another one or go for something else. The Omen X35 is tempting me at the moment as it uses a VA panel and I do love my blacks.

Soldato
VA is better for blacks, IPS is not and almost every panel out there suffers from BLB. You probably will be better off with the Omen X35. You may be giving up a bit of colour vibrancy, although I doubt you'll notice that much. You might want to check some reviews on this, and also to find out how this monitor fairs when it comes to overshoot and blur which VA can be susceptable to.

Soldato
OP
Aye, not sure on the VA because of the ghosting and the VA units don't have the same zero bezel designs as the IPS displays.

Going to probably get another X34 I think, maybe plulp for the x34p...

I have also had a good look at the Alienware which is also 120Hz

Soldato
Aye, not sure on the VA because of the ghosting and the VA units don't have the same zero bezel designs as the IPS displays.

Going to probably get another X34 I think, maybe plulp for the x34p...

I have also had a good look at the Alienware which is also 120Hz

Well don't be so quick to write off VA. I just switched from the X34 to the LG 32GK850G (which is VA) and I have been very happy with it. I am getting no ghosting or smearing, the blacks are WAYYY better and I have zero bleed... the latter of which you will get on any IPS panel and can be really annoying in dark scenes with games or movies when in a dark or dimly lit room. The VA panel on the LG is, by all accounts, one of the best out there, and even in Photoshop I am happy with its colour accuracy after a little calibration.

Associate
I think that is freesync rather than gsync, I understand there may be some way to hack it to work but...

Also it seems the Omen is actually a 6bit panel so I'm not sure I'll consider it at all.

How strange I have also been looking recently as decided to give my Acer 34 to my sister as a present. Where did you read the Omen 35 was 6 bit ? I thought its official spec was 8 bit.

It uses the same panel as the Z35P and Agon 35.

This is going on the other PC as I use a 49 Ultrawidescreen inch as my main screen which I love. It has a VA 144 hz Panel but its so much nicer to use then the IPS Acer 34. The only downside is the low resolution. Although the new Panel is coming out with a much higher resolution.

Soldato
OP
Indeed, I was looking through z35p on Google, other people also saying that it has banding especially in darker tones. Also a lot of reports of blurryines, I don't think it's necessarily a VA problem just the panel that's in all of them isn't up to the standards of the 16:9 panels.

To be honest, in general 21:9 displays are not in a good place, nearly all of them have bleed or clouding issues too.

It's a shame because in the price range of 34" ultrawides (£500-£1000) are 55" VA and OLED HDR TVS which have none of these issues.

Speaking of the Omen in particular they are pretty cheap on eBay, even though it's a pretty new model it's cheaper brand new than most second hand x34s, take from that what you want.

Associate
Oh, thats an easy one theres 3 cheap listed on there. I researched this a while back. One is with no feed back and the other is based in italy. I did some research and he sells on another account as well with a very similar name also based in Italy. Confirmed fake seller. People are still missing expensive items they ordered - monitors etc.

I would never buy something like that on an Auction site unless it had EVGA or Dell Warranty.

Soldato
I had one of those 35" AGON Monitors ...the day I got it was the day it went back into the box , worst monitor I'v ever had , the ghosting and the smearing was ghastly I cant see how monitors like that go up for sale

So I ended up with an x34 for £500 ...but even that I cant see how it has a price tag of close to £1000

Associate
Ouch was it really that bad. I see none of this in my 49 VA.

Now I am reconsidering a va 35 and might stick with an old spare monitor till the new 49 inches are out.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I had one of those 35" AGON Monitors ...the day I got it was the day it went back into the box , worst monitor I'v ever had , the ghosting and the smearing was ghastly I cant see how monitors like that go up for sale

So I ended up with an x34 for £500 ...but even that I cant see how it has a price tag of close to £1000

Was that the older model or the newer AOC AG352UCG6 Black Edition?

I'd be tempted to try the new 120hz BenQ VA UW panel personally.

Isn't that Freesync?

Back
Top Bottom