Over ear headphones for gaming and music

Soldato
We're having a move around at home due to our first child arriving in November. As a compromise my PC is moving downstairs so I'm losing the ability to use my bookshelf speakers regularly.

I'm looking for over ear, comfy headphone with great sound quality. Price isn't really an issue but sub £250 would be great.

I don't play many games so don't require a mic. It's more for music while I'm working and the odd game.

:)

Soldato
Do you have noisy or quiet environment?
If there's going to be noises then closed design is needed.
But if room is quiet then open headphones isolate less heat and have lower risk of ears sweating.

Soldato
1540's get many good comments, but a fair bit more than £250. Might be a good investment though, if you can stretch that far.

There's one thing for certain about spending money on decent audio gear; it will still be great in 5+ years time. Unlike smartphones for example, which are crap and slow after 5+ years. :p

Downside when it comes to audio gear; it can be a slippery slope to wanting something better, meaning an increasingly larger hole appearing in your wallet. :p

esat's already asked whether open back be an issue. i.e. sound leakage.

What will you be connecting them to? I guess your speaker amp has a headphone output? Unless you have active speakers that is.

If you'd rather keep to £250 or less though and sound leakage is not an issue, then AKG K712 for around £170 would be a good choice. Might need a headphone amp though, if you've got active speakers and would be connecting the headphones to onboard audio.

Soldato
I use my Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pros for everything these days. For gaming the imaging is godlike while the ridiculously fast and accurate bass really brings music to life. In all honesty I rarely use my AKG K702, HD650 or HE400 anymore, the DT1990s are just on another level altogether.
< £250 = AKG K712
> £250 = Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro

Soldato
Shures are a little over budget, but are well worth the extra if you can stump it up. Can be had second hand for £250 though.

It is a slippery slope though as Marsman said :p You never know when upgradeitis can kick in. I'm already wondering what a pair of focal elears might sound like :D

Soldato
For a good all round, easy to drive headphone, I would look at the Fidelio X2HR.

The AKG K712 are better, but they need an amp which will take you over budget.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the replies.

Love my Shure 1540's, great for both music and games. So comfortable too.

I tried some of the Shure 1540's on in Richer Sounds and they're amazing but well over budget for the amount of use they'll get.

Do you have noisy or quiet environment?
If there's going to be noises then closed design is needed.
But if room is quiet then open headphones isolate less heat and have lower risk of ears sweating.

Fairly quiet environment. The only other noise will be a TV about 15 feet away on a lowish volume. I'm more worried I'll be making too much noise with the headphones.

1540's get many good comments, but a fair bit more than £250. Might be a good investment though, if you can stretch that far.

There's one thing for certain about spending money on decent audio gear; it will still be great in 5+ years time. Unlike smartphones for example, which are crap and slow after 5+ years. :p

Downside when it comes to audio gear; it can be a slippery slope to wanting something better, meaning an increasingly larger hole appearing in your wallet. :p

esat's already asked whether open back be an issue. i.e. sound leakage.

What will you be connecting them to? I guess your speaker amp has a headphone output? Unless you have active speakers that is.

If you'd rather keep to £250 or less though and sound leakage is not an issue, then AKG K712 for around £170 would be a good choice. Might need a headphone amp though, if you've got active speakers and would be connecting the headphones to onboard audio.

I'm not shy about spending money on audio equipment, you should see my HiFi :) It's just that I'll be driving them off either the motherboard sound card or a cheapish DAC amp. Probably a small Amp as the speakers and amp are going to anther room.

I use my Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pros for everything these days. For gaming the imaging is godlike while the ridiculously fast and accurate bass really brings music to life. In all honesty I rarely use my AKG K702, HD650 or HE400 anymore, the DT1990s are just on another level altogether.
< £250 = AKG K712
> £250 = Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro

Great, I'll check out the DT1990. How are they for comfort?

Shures are a little over budget, but are well worth the extra if you can stump it up. Can be had second hand for £250 though.

It is a slippery slope though as Marsman said :p You never know when upgradeitis can kick in. I'm already wondering what a pair of focal elears might sound like :D

I really need to stay away from the upgrade rabbit hole as I tend to see how deep they go. My cheap run-around (Mk1 Audi TT) has just set me back a few grand but it's now the car it should be :)

Before too many recomendations are being thrown at you, what are you driving them with?

Probably a small headphone amp. Recommendation if you have any :)

For a good all round, easy to drive headphone, I would look at the Fidelio X2HR.

The AKG K712 are better, but they need an amp which will take you over budget.

OK, I may have to rethink things if I need an amp, as others have suggested.

Really appreciate everyones input.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fairly quiet environment. The only other noise will be a TV about 15 feet away on a lowish volume. I'm more worried I'll be making too much noise with the headphones.

I'm not shy about spending money on audio equipment, you should see my HiFi :) It's just that I'll be driving them off either the motherboard sound card or a cheapish DAC amp. Probably a small Amp as the speakers and amp are going to anther room.

Great, I'll check out the DT1990. How are they for comfort?
Don't worry about noise leak.
You'll be damaging your hearing long before noise leak would be significant to other room etc.

Problem is really the opposite.
With open headphones you'll basically hear noises of environment normally when not listening anything.
Though I guess that TV would be kept at low volume to not wake up child.
Also hearing what others say without taking off headphones can be advantage.

Beyerdynamic has very good adjustment range in headband and nice soft velour pads so comfort should be good.

Tesla driver Beyers are more sensitive than old DT770-990 so at least DT1990 shouldn't need anything special.
Better Realteks have competent DAC and if implementation is good should work well.
ALC889 in this test is average level sound chip:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html

K700-serie AKGs would be more power drawing, and because of lowish impedance they pull it as current.

Back
Top Bottom