Background noise at bedtime

Caporegime
can't sleep with noise from a tv/radio, don't know how you people do it.

my brain tries to concentrate on the voices and it just gets annoying.

Soldato
Yes,

I run my air purifier on high for this reason. It drowns out any sharp background noises that may wake you up. Like you I live near a road and the odd idiot revving his car can wake you up.

Soldato
Back when I lived at my parents and my pc was in my room it was on 24.7 and I could not sleep without the fan noise. This was like 2004 when all fans were 80mm and on 100% at all times.

Associate
Like some on here, i have low frequency tinnitus in my right ear, i have to sleep with a fan on or i don't sleep because it's like a truck idling outside my house, also if im away i sleep with a white noise app (although it's usually Brown noise that's best for me)

Caporegime
I'm lucky enough to have plenty of trees near me. Love the rustling of the leaves.

Also have plenty of stupid dog walkers though. Nothing quite beats hearing some ****** shouting at his dog at 5.30 in the morning.

Soldato
As the nights gradually draw longer, and the sun's heat begins to feign, I no longer look longingly at the cold, harsh finish of chair mounted fan. Now that feeling has grown; the appreciation for the long, hot nights we spent together and the whisper it muttered in my ears as I would start to drift off to sleep. I will soon have to resign you to the basement again my friend, but until then, lets enjoy these last weeks together.

Associate
I put in earphones, ones that (with some practice) allow me to sleep comfortably on my side, and sleep with brown noise. Using an old HTC android phone, I use an app called Chromadoze which allows you to generate whichever simple frequency you like. Tiny app and works well hardly uses any battery, get 5 nights on a charge at least. Drowns out the Mrs. Snoring! And any other noise, I can still hear alarms so all good there. If its the weekend and I’m ‘relaxed’ then I will listen to some ambient music instead.

Soldato
OP
Interesting replies, thanks everyone.

When living alone I used to go go sleep listening to astronomy podcasts. It was nice to lie back and fantasise about things like earth-like planets and faster-than-light travel until invariably I'd nod off. Now I live with the gf and she doesn't like them, I've tried lots of different subjects, even ghost story podcasts but no go, so some boring background noise is the next best thing.

I too love the sound of rain when in bed, especially when it's hammering against the window. As a kid I used to reach up to pull the curtains back a bit and watch it for a while, then snuggle back under the covers and nod straight off. Still do sometimes!

Soldato
I don't know how people sleep with earphones in. I used to work nights and sleeping with earplugs was killer. I always used to wake up thinking the earplugs were getting lodged in my brain etc, and generally just had earache after a few hours.

Anyway, people are talking like it's not common knowledge that white noise (of any sort) at night helps you sleep? :confused: It's proven, I thought everyone knew this?

Soldato
I’ve had to put up with baby monitor humming for over 4 years, does my nut in. Not too fussed when there’s a baby that needs attending to but the noise it creates is so annoying. I usually end up sleeping with headphones on and when I wake up at silly o’clock, quickly throw them on the floor and go back to sleep.

The only nice noise at bed time is the sound of rain :D

Soldato
I listen to blackadder or yes minister/prime minister. Every single night. It’s ace.

‘Ask me why I don’t wear underwear’ - ‘why do you not wear underwear sir?’

‘Because the pants haven’t been made that will take the job on’

Bless you Rik.

Caporegime
Not fan noise, but certainly rain. I can't remember the last time I fell asleep without listening to rainymood.com with earphones. I also can't remember the last time I didn't wake up with them wrapped around my neck. :o

Back
Top Bottom