Background noise at bedtime

Caporegime
One of the few decent things my Google Home can do is background noise, especially like the sound of rain and a fireplace. Silence at night does my head in and I find myself thinking too much which keeps me awake.

Soldato
I got a headband with Bluetooth speakers built in for bedtime, after a month using cans and a few months using headphones then waking up tangled in them. Can lie on my side brilliantly now and I sleep better than I have in 15 years. Totally drowns out my girlfriend's various sleep noises, shifting and turning etc. Only problem is, every few days I get woken up by the lady inside the headband yelling BATTERY LOW! every 30 seconds :D

Like some on here, i have low frequency tinnitus in my right ear, i have to sleep with a fan on or i don't sleep because it's like a truck idling outside my house, also if im away i sleep with a white noise app (although it's usually Brown noise that's best for me)
Wow, this is exactly what I've been worried about. Sounds like a car outside or a fridge downstairs humming. Guess it really is my ears then! I've even hunted around at 3am unplugging things to find the source.

Associate
We usually have 2 fans and the air con on a timer for going to sleep, at least in the summer. Never thought about the noise really, just need the moving air.

Mind, I can sleep through anything, which is handy given that we live beside a military air base. Road noise? Try f16s going past the window every time China decides to poke us again :p

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Baby monitor gives off a bit of white noise, always struggle to sleep when it's off or when I'm away.

Soldato
Dont know about whiney fans.

This I could easily go to sleep next too...!

Go on My Son... :p:D
My dad worked for Listers, man and boy (started when he was about 15), until the company pretty much dissolved about 20 years ago. It limped on after that, a shadow of its former self. Many of its golden-era engines are still running though :)

Associate
I got a headband with Bluetooth speakers built in for bedtime, after a month using cans and a few months using headphones then waking up tangled in them. Can lie on my side brilliantly now and I sleep better than I have in 15 years. Totally drowns out my girlfriend's various sleep noises, shifting and turning etc. Only problem is, every few days I get woken up by the lady inside the headband yelling BATTERY LOW! every 30 seconds :D

Wow, this is exactly what I've been worried about. Sounds like a car outside or a fridge downstairs humming. Guess it really is my ears then! I've even hunted around at 3am unplugging things to find the source.

Mate, when it first started happening it sent me up the wall, literally, i had ladders up to all the ceilings, ears against every wall for hours on end etc etc.
After making sure it wasn't anything new at the neighbours houses i went for walks at 2, 3 and 4am try and pinpoint it, i went almost sleepless for 6 months ish, i was so fixated on it being an actual noise from outside, i even contacted the local council about it, who to be fair were about to arrange some recording equipment to see if they could pinpoint it because at that point i was at the end of my tether.

It all became clear one night when i was in bed laid on my left side and i could distinctly ear the sound coming from above me, got the ladders out etc, then when i laid back down it was on the right side and i could hear it coming from underneath me through the bed, that's when i realised it was my actual right ear and not a noise from outside, i started going to the doctors who did alsorts of tests and to cut a long story short i was diagnosed with low frequency tinnitus, various treatments were offered, CBT and the likes, i didn't take them up on any of it because i soon realised sleeping with a fan on almost completely stopped it.

Soldato
I listen to the sleepwithme podcast almost every night now, I don't think I could get to sleep without hearing Scoots ramble on.

Or try the soothing ambient sounds of a Galaxy Class Starship:

Back
Top Bottom