Messier 31 - Andromeda Galaxy

smr

smr

Soldato
The Andromeda Galaxy, also known as Messier 31, M31, or NGC 224, is a spiral galaxy approximately 2.5 million light-years from Earth, and the nearest major galaxy to the Milky Way. Its name stems from the area of the sky in which it appears, the constellation of Andromeda.

The 2006 observations by the Spitzer Space Telescope revealed that the Andromeda Galaxy contains approximately one trillion stars, more than twice the number of the Milky Way's estimated 200 to 400 billion stars. The Andromeda Galaxy, spanning approximately 220,000 light-years, is the largest galaxy in our Local Group, which is also home to the Triangulum Galaxy and other minor galaxies. The Andromeda Galaxy's mass is estimated to be around 1.76 times that of the Milky Way Galaxy.

The Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies are expected to collide in 4.5 billion years, merging to form a giant elliptical galaxy or a large disc galaxy.

This image is my second DSO attempt. Around 2 hours of exposure and many more hours spent processing.

Messier 31 - Andromeda Galaxy by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

Last edited:
Soldato
@smr - Fantastic image! Please could you share some more info on your gear and your processing methods?

I am just waiting on proper dark skies up here (very north Scotland) to get cracking again. Skywatcher Star Adventurer tracker and dabbling with Canon 400mm and a Tammy 600mm for DSO. I only managed a very average Orion Nebula last winter due to rubbish cloud cover every single night of life it felt. M31 is on to do list and if I can get anything close to what you have done I will be a happy man.

Soldato
Excellent. This is something I've always wanted to try but the sheer amount of initial investment and sustained attention to detail means that I'm unlikely to ever get close to where you've reached already. Nice one!

Caporegime
That's damn impressive. Please tell us more about how and what it took?

Wanted to do another MW attempt in Wales weekend just gone but there was a solid 48hrs of clouds :(. Apparently there are a couple of dark sites inside London :eek: which I find hard to believe. Tempted to jump on a train down to Surrey with my camera and tent.

And finally........a 2 hour exposure!!! Damn!

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
Nice, what sort of equipment do you use?

Thanks, I took this image with my Canon 80D, EFS 55-250mm Lens and Star Adventurer Mount on my Manfrotto tripod.

@smr - Fantastic image! Please could you share some more info on your gear and your processing methods?

I am just waiting on proper dark skies up here (very north Scotland) to get cracking again. Skywatcher Star Adventurer tracker and dabbling with Canon 400mm and a Tammy 600mm for DSO. I only managed a very average Orion Nebula last winter due to rubbish cloud cover every single night of life it felt. M31 is on to do list and if I can get anything close to what you have done I will be a happy man.

Thanks, I was lucky to have a couple of clear nights last weekend whilst on Holiday in Norfolk, near the coast so relatively dark skies. See above for gear, processing wise the original image above I took multiple images of 30s, 1m and 1m30s at different ISOs ranging from 1600-3200. No bias, darks or flats were taken, I then threw away any poor subs and stacked with DSS, using Photoshop for levels and curves adjustment and some astrotools processing. I then used Lightroom to finish off a few tweaks.

Excellent. This is something I've always wanted to try but the sheer amount of initial investment and sustained attention to detail means that I'm unlikely to ever get close to where you've reached already. Nice one!

Thanks. It's really only been an investment in my Star Adventurer Mount as I had all the other gear before getting into Astrophotography, but it can be an expensive hobby that's for sure.

That's damn impressive. Please tell us more about how and what it took?

Wanted to do another MW attempt in Wales weekend just gone but there was a solid 48hrs of clouds :(. Apparently there are a couple of dark sites inside London :eek: which I find hard to believe. Tempted to jump on a train down to Surrey with my camera and tent.

And finally........a 2 hour exposure!!! Damn!

Thanks, not sure about dark sites where you are but I would think Surrey has some. This image as I said above was taken in Norfolk, it probably wouldn't have come out as well if I had taken it from my back garden, but then you can get Light pollution filters if required.

I actually tried a different method of processing today with a different data stretching algorithm,and here's the result, which do you prefer...?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
First one looks more like a traditional space picture. Second one does pick out the detail a bit better though.

Caporegime
Amazing stuff! The patience required must be huge! I am frankly shocked at the equipment. Meaning the only thing out of the ordinary there is the star tracker dohicky. :D

Was fully expecting a telescope and other various bits & pieces.

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
Amazing stuff! The patience required must be huge! I am frankly shocked at the equipment. Meaning the only thing out of the ordinary there is the star tracker dohicky. :D

Was fully expecting a telescope and other various bits & pieces.

Thank you!

wow! Awesome shot! When you said it was a few hours of processing what did it actually look like before the edit?

Thank you! It looked very washed out before the edit, half the work is in the processing.

Awesome photo, nice skills !!

Thanks very much!

Nice, it’s the most distant object visible to the naked eye. I can’t see it when I’m at Rannoch. Through my 22” it’s very bright.

Yes if you go to a dark sky place it is visible by eye. Amazing!

Soldato
Thank you!

Thank you! It looked very washed out before the edit, half the work is in the processing.

Thanks very much!

Yes if you go to a dark sky place it is visible by eye. Amazing!

Sorry I meant to say I can see it at Rannoch, it’s a naked eye object, great in binoculars.

Horsehead nebula visible with 16” dob etc

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom