Can I replace my Cassette without replacing chain etc.

Soldato
I’m off to Mallorca with my Ultegra R8000 equipped Ribble Gran Fondo at the weekend but beginning to wish I had a 11/32 instead of the 11/30 cassette with compact 50/34 I have just to give me that bail out option for some of the tougher climbs. Thing is I have a short cage mech which I don’t want to change or even the chain. Simply put can I swap out my 11/30 for 11/32 with only adjustments?

Soldato
Technically, I think that the spec says the short cage doesnt work with a 32 tooth cassette sprocket but in reality I've seen people running that setup with no problems.

I dont think you'd need it really. The climbs in Mallorca are not too steep.

edit: missed the actual question asked in OP! Doh!
Yes, you can change the cassette without swapping the chain. If the chain is worn it'll also wear the cassette a lot faster. So it's not advisable if the chain is old but would be fine if the chain is fairly new.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Cheers touch, the chain as only done around 600 miles, only had this bike a few months so in good condition. I know it’s not really steap in Mallorca but they’re very long! I’m tempted to try for the sake of £50 but others have said like you I’ll be fine with 11/30

Soldato
You should be fine changing the cassette. But as @touch has mentioned, the climbs are not really steep. I don't think you will need it. 30 at the back with 34 at the front should be ample.

Soldato
Should be fine on a typical 600 miles old chain.

I've no experience of pushing the limits of what a short cage rear mech can do, an 11-32 might be fine, don't forget there's also 11-34 cassettes now... But that might be really pushing a short mech too far and I've yet to see the sprocket jumps on it (I presume it will be 26-30-34, as the 11-34 finishes 25-28-32 iirc).

Soldato
maybe you now know the answer ?

but is the existing chain long enough .. if they were mean on the links they used setting up your bike originally ?
I would get one speculatively from wiggle too, and return if not needed

Soldato
but is the existing chain long enough .. if they were mean on the links they used setting up your bike originally ?
I would get one speculatively from wiggle too, and return if not needed

That wouldn't be a problem unless he's massively cross-chaining by riding in the 50 chainring and 32 sprocket.

Soldato
Such a negligible difference between a 30 to 32t.

If you were going from a 25t to a 30t/32t I'd say it'd warrant the faff.

Nothing severe/steep enough out there to need any 'bail out' gear on the grades are all single digit so just pace it differently.

Back
Top Bottom