Xonar D2X replacement

Associate
Hello Overlockers.

My Xonar D2X had recently been acting up with the "click" sound normally only heard during start up, had started to appear during game loading. I suspect a replacement PSU and shorting issue may have damaged the card. I am now only able to hear out of the Right Hand side (Tested various headphones on other devices to make sure)

The only ability to have Stereo sound it seems is to have the 3.5mm jack plugged in half way, but this doesn't seem like a long-term solution.

Unless there is a potential fix - I am looking for a replacement for under £50 if possible. I have spotted a number of alternatives such as:

Xonar DSX or DGX
Sound Blaster Z (2nd hand)
Sound Blaster Audigy FX

This would be used with the Sennheiser Game One Headset.

Any advice is much appreciated, Thanks

Soldato
Try the onboard audio. You might find it does the job, as above poster did. However; if you are using Dolby Headphone (DH) on the D2X, then you won't get that from your onboard audio.

If you do use DH, then you'll need a sound card. Best of those you've listed is the SB Z. Doesn't have DH, but has Creative's own SBX prostudio, which is arguably superior for gaming compared to DH. OEM version of the card can be had for £50-£60. Same as the retail, just without the cover and the included microphone; or, maybe get a second hand one.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I'll try out the on-board Audio (Realtek ALC1150) for the time being and look more into the SB Z going forward.

Soldato
The only ability to have Stereo sound it seems is to have the 3.5mm jack plugged in half way
Could be also broken/worn connector.
Because operation of any signal relays (that clicking sound) etc can't be affected by jack's position.
They either work completely, or not.

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I'll try out the on-board Audio (Realtek ALC1150) for the time being and look more into the SB Z going forward.
Here's standard stereo from games:
https://youtu.be/d1_20T8x_OI?t=12m57s
Here's Creative's binaural sound simulation:
https://youtu.be/d1_20T8x_OI?t=11s
Should have huge difference in immersion with open design Game One.

Back
Top Bottom