Home Office Chair £300

Associate
Hey everyone,

I’ve recently started working from home more and decided that the requirement of a “home office” is needed, I’ve already got a monitor, peripherals and desk but I seem to be struggling on choosing a decent chair.

If I’m totally honest this definitely isn’t my area of expertise so I thought I would come here and seek advice, I’ve got around £300 to spend and want something suitable for extensive sessions of editing and design work (8+ hours on regular occasions).

I’ve seen that a lot of chairs are based around height/weight so to aid the process I’m 5’7” and around 70kg

Thanks a lot,

Associate
I have a Noble Epic and my Brother has a Noble Icon, I would recommend either depends on the look you prefer they are a little harder then I imagined but I've come to prefer that and build quality is rock solid. Overclockers tend to have 10% off on one of the colours / styles fairly regularly.

Associate
I have a Noble Epic and my Brother has a Noble Icon, I would recommend either depends on the look you prefer they are a little harder then I imagined but I've come to prefer that and build quality is rock solid. Overclockers tend to have 10% off on one of the colours / styles fairly regularly.

I've always wanted to get one of those Noble Epic chairs.... just never quite managed to pull the trigger yet. They look rock solid.

Associate
I winced initially at spending that on a chair though then i realised I use it more then my reclining sofa that i spent far more on! I dont regret the decision for how much it gets used it actually feels like good value.

Associate
OP
The noble chairs look nice (maybe more “gamer” aimed than I was looking for) but after watching a few YouTube reviews plus reading a couple of different threads on here they seem to get positive feedback by the majority.

I’ve seen the SteelCase and Herman Miller names pop up multiple times while conducting some research, are they really worth the money though?

Associate
OP
Unfortunately as nice as the Herman Miller chairs in John Lewis are they are well beyond my budget so a no go :(

I’ve found a chair that’s a fair bit under my budget but I’d be unable to try before I buy... The chair I’ve found is a “Flash Ergonomic Task Chair with Headrest” I don’t know what the rules are for linking other websites but a google search should bring it straight up.

My brother has advised me to go with a Secret Labs Omega 2018

To be honest I don’t really know what I’m looking for and maybe should just buy something as I’ve had no chair for over a week now so I’ve just been kneeling at my desk lol!

Associate
Unfortunately as nice as the Herman Miller chairs in John Lewis are they are well beyond my budget so a no go :(

I’ve found a chair that’s a fair bit under my budget but I’d be unable to try before I buy... The chair I’ve found is a “Flash Ergonomic Task Chair with Headrest” I don’t know what the rules are for linking other websites but a google search should bring it straight up.

To be honest I don’t really know what I’m looking for and maybe should just buy something as I’ve had no chair for over a week now so I’ve just been kneeling at my desk lol!
I was also looking at the flash chair you mentioned, but the lack of reviews is putting me off slightly. I'd be interested to hear your feedback if you did buy one, as it does look like a good chair and have seen it with a 5yr warranty.

Apart from that, you could look at 2nd hand Herman Miller/Steelcase chairs for roughly the same money, but these likely come with no warranty (Steelcase/Herman do not honour 2nd hand warranties).

Last edited:
Soldato

You don't buy those chairs new, you:
Look on office-reclaimed furniture sites or ones that have eBay shops - usually half the price of retail or thereabouts
Look on Gumtree/FaceBook Marketplace - they won't always be 10/10 condition but you can easily find one that looks hardly used; I have a SteelCase Leap 2 which cost me £150 I think.

The higher-end chairs have replaceable parts and places that will service them so have a much more of a potential lifespan than a cheap chair, plus are like beds in that if you're in them enough it's a justifiable expense to get a good one.

V F

V F

Soldato
I decided to go for the Office Hippo Physio Approved 24 Hour Ergonomic Chair with Adjustable Lumbar Support, Headrest and Seat Slide, Mesh, Black

Brand: Office Hippo

Color: Black

Features:

• Heavy duty desk chair which is highly adjustable, in a contemporary style with an ergonomic and orthopaedic design which has been approved by a qualified physiotherapist. Certified for 24 hour use making it suitable for the home office as well as busy commercial environments
  • 152 kg tolerance, height adjustable arms, seat slide, deep cushioned moulded seat and breathable mesh back with adjustable lumbar support ensure a comfortable, yet supportive, experience
  • Features a height-adjustable ratchet back, plus an independently fixed or free-floating back and seat tilt. Fixable in up to 5 positions.
  • Backed up by a 10 YEAR COMPONENT GUARANTEE
  • Dimensions: Seat height 51 to 61.5 cm, seat depth 53 cm, seat width 52 cm, back height 66 cm with back width 54.5 cm
Publisher: TC Group

Warranty: 10 year component guarantee.

43917085625_499bd8f7e0_b.jpg

43917085735_d6c54b5403_b.jpg

29890647557_8333deba00_b.jpg

29890648327_028cb0e686_b.jpg

V F

V F

Soldato
I got it on Amazon's flash sale a few days ago for £280. It's currently £341.10. Some other places had it for over £500.

It's extremely comfortable. Your backside sinks nicely into the seat. Not too soft and not too hard. The back and lumbar support hugs you so nicely. I never thought the mesh would be so comfortable at the same time not heating up your back. Not that I have issues at all with back sweat on a chair but it feels so nice.

Best of all no creaks on the chair no matter what you do. Even while adjusting. The arm rests has a black soft rubberised foam on top.

Associate
OP
I was also looking at the flash chair you mentioned, but the lack of reviews is putting me off slightly. I'd be interested to hear your feedback if you did buy one, as it does look like a good chair and have seen it with a 5yr warranty.

Apart from that, you could look at 2nd hand Herman Miller/Steelcase chairs for roughly the same money, but these likely come with no warranty (Steelcase/Herman do not honour 2nd hand warranties).

Hey,

Sorry about the delayed reply...

I ended up going with the Flash Chair, I've had it for around a week now and tbh it's a good comfortable chair, obviously it's not going to be in the same league as the Herman Millers or SteelCase offerings but its superior in every way by comparison to the chair which it has replaced (£60/70 pound racer style gaming chair).

At first, I was a little unsure as it doesn't have that "premium" look/feel that maybe the Secret Labs Omega would have brought but after extended sessions of use it's very comfortable and accommodating chair and I'm glad I went with it (it has a smaller footprint vs the gaming type chairs I've had in the past so looks more in keeping with my office area), it offers a nice range of adjustability and I've not even noticed having no foam on the rear back support, if anything the mesh/rubber type material seems more supportive and the sizing is very good for me (I'm around 5'7" - 60kg).

I did initially have concerns over the build quality as the finish on some of the parts wasn's what I would have expected but I guess for something sub £200 it's very much in the "budget" end of the chair market so more than acceptable. The two best parts about the chair to me are the headrest and the recline option, usually, due to my height the headrest is unusable for me but its a perfect fit on this chair, that combined with the reclining option means I can lay back and bring my monitor in from above while gaming with a pad which is a fantastic addition :)

I would say its a nice 7/10 from me and probably one of the best sub £200 chairs out there!

Some RGB fun.... because everyone loves some RGB lol! :p

Associate
Hey,

Sorry about the delayed reply...

I ended up going with the Flash Chair, I've had it for around a week now and tbh it's a good comfortable chair, obviously it's not going to be in the same league as the Herman Millers or SteelCase offerings but its superior in every way by comparison to the chair which it has replaced (£60/70 pound racer style gaming chair).

At first, I was a little unsure as it doesn't have that "premium" look/feel that maybe the Secret Labs Omega would have brought but after extended sessions of use it's very comfortable and accommodating chair and I'm glad I went with it (it has a smaller footprint vs the gaming type chairs I've had in the past so looks more in keeping with my office area), it offers a nice range of adjustability and I've not even noticed having no foam on the rear back support, if anything the mesh/rubber type material seems more supportive and the sizing is very good for me (I'm around 5'7" - 60kg).

I did initially have concerns over the build quality as the finish on some of the parts wasn's what I would have expected but I guess for something sub £200 it's very much in the "budget" end of the chair market so more than acceptable. The two best parts about the chair to me are the headrest and the recline option, usually, due to my height the headrest is unusable for me but its a perfect fit on this chair, that combined with the reclining option means I can lay back and bring my monitor in from above while gaming with a pad which is a fantastic addition :)

I would say its a nice 7/10 from me and probably one of the best sub £200 chairs out there!

Some RGB fun.... because everyone loves some RGB lol! :p

Thanks for the review and the pictures. How would you rate the lumbar support on your Flash chair?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the review and the pictures. How would you rate the lumbar support on your Flash chair?

Unfortunately it doesn’t have adjustable or dedicated support, the chair in itself feels supportive but if you are after something with decent lumbar support features I’d advise looking elsewhere.

Associate
Just picked up a second hand herman miller aeron after going through all the 'spec me a chair' posts and after a bit of a clean up can say I'm over the moon with it. Managed to get one with PostureFit for £200 and so far it's really comfortable!

V F

V F

Soldato
Just picked up a second hand herman miller aeron after going through all the 'spec me a chair' posts and after a bit of a clean up can say I'm over the moon with it. Managed to get one with PostureFit for £200 and so far it's really comfortable!

A real nice looking chair but damn, they're anything from £809 to £1,187 new depending on the frame style/coating one goes after.

Back
Top Bottom