£29 Travelodge Rooms

Man of Honour
It's hardly unusual.

I stayed in a Hub by Premier Inn the other week, in Brick Lane. It was brilliant! Smaller rooms but still everything you need and very modern and new. Highly recommended!

I've stayed there, IMO not that great due to the tiny rooms. There are better hotels in that area for similar money, e.g. Ibis London City Shoreditch (sadly Accor Happy Mondays is no more, I got this for £40 quite a few times), even the Travelodge London City I would put above it (only opened a couple of months ago, way better than Liverpool Street / Aldgate East Travelodges which are pretty dire).

Man of Honour
Just looks like a standard full english, you no like?

No I don’t, looks revolting.
Non je n’aime pas, ça a l’air révoltant.
No, no me gusta, parece repugnante.
As far as I’d go in the a.m. would be poached, or scrambled eggs on sourdough toast, but finding sourdough toast in a U.K. hotel is tantamount to finding a teenaged virgin in Basildon, so I’d just have the eggs.
I’d love to go for eggs Benedict, but I’ve never found anyone in U.K. to do them right, other than my wife.

Soldato
From reading through this thread I've realised that there is a very high level of snobbery here :rolleyes:

Exactly this my friend.....this forum is known for it though.

Never had a bad experience in a premier Inn nor travel lodge.....iv no idea what people are expecting.

Always clean, comfy bed and a place to shower in the morning, what else do you expect or need?

Crazy world.

Soldato
cholesterol sandwich is an accepted descriptive term for any food with a fair amount of grease, oil, or fat, that better?
That is 'a' sandwich, but 'to sandwich' something is to squeeze one thing between two items of another, the latter being the descriptor. For example, a Thai Ladyboy Sandwich. So yeah, perfectly acceptable.

You'll never find an empty hotel, so they can't be that bad, can they?
You'll find plenty of people living in run-down council flat shitholes, so I guess they can't be that bad either...
Some here are snobs. Others simply have standards, while others really will not be paying £10 for a plate of vomit... especially since the local biker cafe or the pub next door will do a far better, far bigger breakfast, using far higher quality ingredients, for less than £4.50!

Soldato
You'll find plenty of people living in run-down council flat shitholes, so I guess they can't be that bad either...
Some here are snobs. Others simply have standards, while others really will not be paying £10 for a plate of vomit... especially since the local biker cafe or the pub next door will do a far better, far bigger breakfast, using far higher quality ingredients, for less than £4.50!

How have you managed to equate a busy hotel with a low standard council estate? One is a product of value, the other of perceived "poverty". They're completely different metrics. :confused:

I'm completely fine with people setting their own standards, but to describe a hotel chain as "dirty and low standard" when the opposite is true is just snobbery. I do of course accept that there are bad eggs, even within a hotel chain where the standards are supposed to be equal across the board, but in my experience (and many others), there is absolutely nothing wrong with this hotel chain.

The food pictured earlier in the thread surely can't be described as a "plate of vomit" - whilst it may not suit your personal tastes, I'm sure the "local biker cafe"'s food could be described as the same by someone else.

Like I said, nothing but snobbery.

Soldato
That fry up does look good don't know what that man is going on about vomit for, I stop in 90% premiere Inn and travel lodge with work on a regular basis, premiere is better than travelodge.

Man of Honour
Some here are snobs. Others simply have standards, while others really will not be paying £10 for a plate of vomit...
A plate of vomit? Are we all looking at the same image?
How spectacular do you expect a full English breakfast to look? As far as I can see, everything looks well cooked and (surprisingly) well presented.

EDIT
If you want to see a poor quality breakfast, swing by a Holiday Inn Express. How would you like your scrambled eggs sir, in one block or two?
It makes the Premier Inn Breakfast look like something served out of the Fat Duck.

Last edited:
Soldato
What sort of pub does a full English for 4.50? the only one i can think of is weatherspoons?
Got quite a few round here. That's why I object to overpaying for motorway services levels of cack.

How have you managed to equate a busy hotel with a low standard council estate?
Same way you've equated being busy with being any good - Mis-assumption.
McDonald's is often very busy... doesn't mean it's any good.

I'm completely fine with people setting their own standards, but to describe a hotel chain as "dirty and low standard" when the opposite is true is just snobbery.
That very sentence is a complete contradiction.
Besides, one man's meat is another's poison... and this is too subjective a measure - I could introduce you to people who think your £50 million super yacht is 'poverty spec'... and they're right. You'd have none of the things they'd consider, in their own standards, to be essential.

I do of course accept that there are bad eggs, even within a hotel chain where the standards are supposed to be equal across the board, but in my experience (and many others), there is absolutely nothing wrong with this hotel chain.
You may get £29 worth of room and board, which might be good value for money in your opinion... but that doesn't mean it's high quality.

The food pictured earlier in the thread surely can't be described as a "plate of vomit" - whilst it may not suit your personal tastes, I'm sure the "local biker cafe"'s food could be described as the same by someone else.
Actually the local cafe (technically a truck stop) food is frequently noted for its high quality and lack of grease, which is precisely why it's drawn in the biker crowd. Similarly you can tell which of the burger vans offer high quality, because the Police and FSA tend to frequent them!

Like I said, nothing but snobbery.
Oh... so I'm not content being given ***** especially when I can get better stuff for less money, but you don't like this fact... and that dislike somehow makes ME the snob??!!
Yeah, OK. Back to your contradictions...

That fry up does look good don't know what that man is going on about vomit for
I can get better food for less money. It's pretty simple...

A plate of vomit? Are we all looking at the same image?
Mushrooms underdone, hash browns and tomato cooked on too high a heat, the egg looks like it was done in a microwave, and the whole thing just looks cheap.

How spectacular do you expect a full English breakfast to look? As far as I can see, everything looks well cooked and (surprisingly) well presented.
I dunno - Like it was done fresh and actually fried, before being served immediately, rather than by microwave and then sat under a hot plate...?
Call me old fashioned and snobbish if you like, but that's generally how I like my food.

If you want to see a poor quality breakfast, swing by a Holiday Inn Express.
Now why on Earth would I actually want to see that??!!

It makes the Premier Inn Breakfast look like something served out of the Fat Duck.
Given my general opinion of the Fat Duck, you're really not selling me on the idea... !! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Same way you've equated being busy with being any good - Mis-assumption.
McDonald's is often very busy... doesn't mean it's any good.

Well, no, what we're discussign here is people choosing to stay there - yes, there are better, more luxurious options for more money, but people are choosing to stay there because they believe that it's good value. People living in a low standard "council estate" more often than not don't have the choice - that's what I meant when I said about being different metrics.

That very sentence is a complete contradiction.
Besides, one man's meat is another's poison... and this is too subjective a measure - I could introduce you to people who think your £50 million super yacht is 'poverty spec'... and they're right. You'd have none of the things they'd consider, in their own standards, to be essential.

I have at no point said that it's of a high standard, however I will concede that that sentence is mildly contradictory - however it's very hard to see how it can be judged by all patrons as "dirty and low standard".

You may get £29 worth of room and board, which might be good value for money in your opinion... but that doesn't mean it's high quality.

I agree. However like I've said above, people are more than happy to choose to stay at these locations - which surely means that they are happy with the value for money, which by extension would mean that the hotels are at least of a high enough standard, no? Far from "you couldn't pay me enough to stay there, what a ****hole!".

Actually the local cafe (technically a truck stop) food is frequently noted for its high quality and lack of grease, which is precisely why it's drawn in the biker crowd. Similarly you can tell which of the burger vans offer high quality, because the Police and FSA tend to frequent them!

Congratulations, you've found a fairly unique location.

Oh... so I'm not content being given ***** especially when I can get better stuff for less money, but you don't like this fact... and that dislike somehow makes ME the snob??!!
Yeah, OK. Back to your contradictions...

Ok - please do go ahead and find a higher quality hotel room than a Travelodge for £29 a night. Links in your post would be wonderful :)

Soldato
I travel quite a lot and don't like to spend much time in hotel rooms, so I book this type of thing all the time as all I really need is a place to sleep and shower. Ibis budget, Jury's Inn, Travelodge, Premier Inn etc. Never had a problem, and when I stay in considerably more expensive places, they're often disappointingly similar / lower standard than the budget ones.

Soldato
Well, no, what we're discussign here is people choosing to stay there
Which they do knowing full well it's just cheap and not not high quality... Still doesn't mean it's any good.

yes, there are better, more luxurious options for more money, but people are choosing to stay there because they believe that it's good value.
Value, yes, but not necessarily quality.

I have at no point said that it's of a high standard, however I will concede that that sentence is mildly contradictory
You just said you're fine with people setting their own standards. You don't get to then quibble over their idea of high standards, because in your own words that's for them to decide. It's very contradictory, as you're clearly not alright with them deciding things for themselves!

However it's very hard to see how it can be judged by all patrons as "dirty and low standard".
You don't have to see it, you just have to be fine with them deciding it is.

I agree. However like I've said above, people are more than happy to choose to stay at these locations - which surely means that they are happy with the value for money, which by extension would mean that the hotels are at least of a high enough standard, no?
Actually no, not entirely. It might be an acceptable compromise on quality, for the amount of money they have or are willing to spend, but that doesn't mean they're happy about having to make that compromise. It might be the best of a bad lot, but it doesn't mean they're happy about what they get, no matter how cheap it is.

Far from "you couldn't pay me enough to stay there, what a ****hole!".
I imagine those people really don't stay in such places, then...

Congratulations, you've found a fairly unique location.
Three good burger vans and at least one decent cafe in a 22 mile radius?
I'd be stunned if the rest of the world fell particularly short of that...

Ok - please do go ahead and find a higher quality hotel room than a Travelodge for £29 a night. Links in your post would be wonderful :)
1/. You seem to think that value and quality are the same thing...
2/. You seem to think your standards are the same as mine, or somehow supersede them...
3/. In that point I was talking about fried breakfasts, now you're demanding I find you a hotel room? Do the footwork and find one yourself - I recommend looking at guest houses... or would that somehow detract from the 'quality' of the room?
4/. Besides, I'd hate to be a snob all over your crusade, here.

Soldato
Which they do knowing full well it's just cheap and not not high quality... Still doesn't mean it's any good.

Value, yes, but not necessarily quality.

That's not we disagreed about, we were discussing your comparison of a Travelodge hotel room to a poverty-stricken council estate. Like I've said, different metrics, due to choice. For clarity, you can choose a hotel, you can't always choose your living situation.

You just said you're fine with people setting their own standards. You don't get to then quibble over their idea of high standards, because in your own words that's for them to decide. It's very contradictory, as you're clearly not alright with them deciding things for themselves!

You don't have to see it, you just have to be fine with them deciding it is.

I am perfectly alright with people deciding for themselves; not once have I argued that a room or breakfast at a cheaper hotel is of high quality, all I've stated is that claiming them to be "dirty" and the food to be compared to a "plate of vomit" is wrong.

Actually no, not entirely. It might be an acceptable compromise on quality, for the amount of money they have or are willing to spend, but that doesn't mean they're happy about having to make that compromise. It might be the best of a bad lot, but it doesn't mean they're happy about what they get, no matter how cheap it is.

Fair enough, if people who stay in "good value" hotel rooms aren't happy about the quality, then why aren't they elsewhere? Again, I think we're blurring the lines between value and quality.

Three good burger vans and at least one decent cafe in a 22 mile radius?
I'd be stunned if the rest of the world fell particularly short of that...

I'm not saying that there aren't other places, but surely you can see that a high quality plate of food for £4.50 is quite rare? I've worked in hospitality for over 15 years and I'm struggling to think of how that would be feasable, business wise.

1/. You seem to think that value and quality are the same thing...
2/. You seem to think your standards are the same as mine, or somehow supersede them...
3/. In that point I was talking about fried breakfasts, now you're demanding I find you a hotel room? Do the footwork and find one yourself - I recommend looking at guest houses... or would that somehow detract from the 'quality' of the room?
4/. Besides, I'd hate to be a snob all over your crusade, here.

1. No, not at all. Like I've said, I think these 2 are being blurred somewhat.
2. Not at all, I'm perfectly happy to stay in a Travelodge; I certainly don't think that Raymond's picture of a breakfast looks like a "plate of vomit".
3. The overall discussion here is about hotel rooms, no? You seem to think that higher quality can be found for less, so I was asking you to provide an example, that's all.
4. No crusade at all, I'm perfectly within my rights to question why people may feel a certain way - like you say it's all about personal experience and perceptions.

Oooh, [ rubs hands in a Uriah Heep fashion ] the heavy guns are being deployed, multi-quote posts ?

This thread is getting all kinds of serious

What's the point in arguing the toss on the internet if you can't multi-quote? :p

Soldato
I bet they're not refundable, though!
Why would they be refundable?
It’s a cheap room.

Honestly, if it’s a shock that you have to put a bit of effort into finding them or that they’re non refundable and need to be booked ahead, travelling probably isn’t for you.
All of those points are pretty obvious with cheap hotel room bookings :)

Soldato
That's not we disagreed about, we were discussing your comparison of a Travelodge hotel room to a poverty-stricken council estate.
Dunno what you thought you were arguing, but I was challenging your assertion that being busy was an indicator of quality. I even said so.

Similarly I've been in this really good Italian restaurant we have here - I've been there when it's dead quiet and been there when there's absolutely no table space and they're dragging out extra. I've also seen places like Nandos and other pretty **** restaurants, all heaving, but not because they're any good... it's because they're closer to the car park and the cinema.
We even have a Michelin starred restaurant here, which I'm sure you'll concur indicates a high standard as measured by an assessment generally accepted by the industry as a whole... and yet, people pay (notably) more money to dine at restauants here that do not have anything approaching the same high standards, simply because they have some kind of convenience about them... again, usually closer to the car park.

For clarity, you can choose a hotel, you can't always choose your living situation.
Not always.
Places like Travel Lodge and Premier Inn tend to situate themselves where it's going to be the most convenient for guests, or where they will have a captive market - Such as being the closest accommodation to an airport, or the cheapest in an area that only has expensive, exclusive hotels.

all I've stated is that claiming them to be "dirty" and the food to be compared to a "plate of vomit" is wrong.
But THAT is EXACTLY what those people get to decide... and they have decided it's a dirty place that serves vomit. By your own wording, they've done exactly what you said they can. You can't complain about that!!

Fair enough, if people who stay in "good value" hotel rooms aren't happy about the quality, then why aren't they elsewhere?
Any number of reasons.
Often high quality costs more, or more than they're willing to pay. Just as often, the higher quality ones are further away, or fully booked. Sometimes people just want the closest, easiest, or most convenient option. As indicated by some people on this thread, quality is not even a factor for them, as they're spending as little time as possible in that room anyway.
It's a subjective range of standards. You can't just put your one opinion down and assume it's the only way.

Again, I think we're blurring the lines between value and quality.
Who is this "we"?
I've been pretty distinct about the differences.

I'm not saying that there aren't other places, but surely you can see that a high quality plate of food for £4.50 is quite rare? I've worked in hospitality for over 15 years and I'm struggling to think of how that would be feasable, business wise.
Rare? Nope. Not where I live. Not where I've lived before, either, and that includes living in Camden. I'd even wager that an acquaintance of mine, who runs her own catering business, will support me on this - Shall I ask her for you? I'd ask some friends who work in silver service, but they're all her employees...

I've obviously seen people charge more than £11 for a simple burger at a van, but that was at a show event and everything at such events is overpriced ********. You get both ends of the spectrum. Neither is an indicator of quality.

1. Yes, you're the one doing the blurring. Stoppitt!!
2. Then why do you demand I furnish you with my idea of quality priced at your idea of value?
3. No, it's about a variety of related sub-topics. You can tell which one is being addressed by a particular point, by the use of specific quotes.
But yes, higher quality things can often be found for less money. I'm just not going to do the legwork for you, especially when other people run entire websites about it and get paid for their troubles.
4. You are not within your rights to insult people and call them snobs when they feel differently to you, though.

Back
Top Bottom