Opinion on the Range Rover Evoque (but the base 2WD model)?

Man of Honour
OP
To appeal to idiots who just want an evoque because it's mint init! Anyone spending 25k on this car has to be mad!
It's comparable in price to an ex demonstrator Audi Q3 1.4 TFSI that I test drove recently. But the Evoque is nicer inside (personal opinion obviously). Clearly it's nowhere near as good as a 4wd auto version with a larger engine. But if this is a bad idea then so are a lot of the thousands of small SUV's on the streets today which are often 2wd and sometimes manual.

The equivalent Q3 had more toys onboard. But this had a more luxurious feel and felt a bit more unique than the A3 interior of the Q3.

I do like 4wd but realistically I don't need it on the A roads and motorway when driving my son to sports matches etc around Surrey and London.

Soldato
It's comparable in price to an ex demonstrator Audi Q3 1.4 TFSI that I test drove recently. But the Evoque is nicer inside (personal opinion obviously). Clearly it's nowhere near as good as a 4wd auto version with a larger engine. But if this is a bad idea then so are a lot of the thousands of small SUV's on the streets today which are often 2wd and sometimes manual.

The equivalent Q3 had more toys onboard. But this had a more luxurious feel and felt a bit more unique than the A3 interior of the Q3.

I do like 4wd but realistically I don't need it on the A roads and motorway when driving my son to sports matches etc around Surrey and London.
Realistically you don't need an SUV you'd get better value out of a normal saloon!

Permabanned
Realistically you don't need an SUV you'd get better value out of a normal saloon!

This is cars we're talking about, what you actually need and what you want are two different things, realistically no-one "needs"
a car that does 0-60 in 4.4 secs, but Ferrari can't make enough cars to match the demand.

As in the USA, no one wants big saloons any more, people like the look, the practicality, and the solidity of an large 2WD SUV.

Soldato
As in the USA, no one wants big saloons any more, people like the look, the practicality, and the solidity of an large 2WD SUV.

people may become more pragmatic with increasing price of fuel (2wd helps too), or wltp revelations, of suv's relative fuel consumption.
proabably less sensitivity in the USA to fuel price too

edit: forgot, never having travelled in the back of an evoque is the visibility with smallish windows child friendly

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a feeling this thread would go south. It always does when the evoque is mentioned. In fact I think a lot of people on here generally dislike any range rover.

OP, if you like it.....buy it (an evoque that is). Definately try and find one with the tech pack and auto though.

Interesting that you prefered it over the Q3.....I'd definately take a second look at the Audi. What about the Toyota CH-R? I know little about them other than buyers rave about them.

My only concern would be with the reliability. Yes you have the warranty, but still annoying when sat at the side of the road.....or worse at a junction in rush hour traffic. They are rated bottom of the reliability charts, not sure why but I did read a funny facebook thead from someone who used to work in the plant saying a lot of people were hungover when building them.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a feeling this thread would go south. It always does when the evoque is mentioned. In fact I think a lot of people on here generally dislike any range rover. .... They are rated bottom of the reliability charts
whose charts ?
as I commented in another thread we/UK do not seem to have a JDpower alternative ? where manufacturer disclosed owners are surveyed ... is there a good german site.

Soldato
whose charts ?
as I commented in another thread we/UK do not seem to have a JDpower alternative ? where manufacturer disclosed owners are surveyed ... is there a good german site.

It was a while ago, may have been a whatcar one

Least reliable car brands
23. Mercedes-Benz - 70.4% reliability rating

24. Fiat - 70.2% reliability rating

25. Volvo - 62.3% reliability rating

26. Jaguar - 61.9% reliability rating

27. Peugeot - 56.7% reliability rating

28. Citroën - 55.2% reliability rating

29. Nissan - 52.7% reliability rating

30. Tesla - 52.4% reliability rating

31. Land Rover - 50.6% reliability rating

32. Jeep - 42.1% reliability rating

Caporegime
How many you driven?

Mine was awesome in the snow as under the ‘pretty’ looks there is a proper 4WD system, obviously a mute point on the 2wd. The high driving is nice to see what’s going on and getting in and out (myself or child) is much easier than a saloon.

The handling is much more car like than you would expect from a car of its size and in comparison to everything else I have driven in that class.

They are popular for a reason

Soldato
Absolute rubbish. This opinion is based on what? Stuff you have read ?

Maybe you need to take a step back and actually talk from experience rather than hearsay.

They look nice on the surface, but once you start taking them apart you find out. We have a workshop for doing car electronics etc. and get quite a few Land Rovers in, the build quality is *****.

Caporegime
Rubbish

Do you take every car apart then and make such rubbish comments. The wiring is the same as every other OEM as wiring suppliers SUPPLY OEMs

Back
Top Bottom