Time is Wrong

Associate
I've been using the same battery in my mobo for probably 5-6 years so at first I thought I'd change it out but the issue still persists.

If I shutdown my PC at 9pm, when I boot it up, the time will continue from 9pm. Thought it was an obvious CMOS issue but while my PC is running, the time will still move back occasionally. This is after syncing the time with windows servers and trying all sorts of settings. I've sat here web browsing and the time has gone back 30 mins...

I've even refreshed my Windows 10 install and I'm still having the problem. Is this a motherboard issue? I don't actually know how time works when windows is running, is it still controlled by the motherboards clock?

EDIT: Also, if the CMOS battery was an issue, surely my BIOS settings wouldn't have been kept? They have all been saved fine and only the time has been giving me issue.

If I recall correctly. This problem appeared when someone turned my shutdown PC off by the plugs as they needed to use a socket.

Last edited:
Associate
Check the windows event log. (eventvwr.msc) and look into the system event log, and source of time-service. Should be fairly easy to identify what is changing the system time.

Associate
Next time you turn it on after being off for a little, boot straight in to the bios and check the time there. If it's wrong then it's likely a motherboard / battery issue.

Had a similar problem to you. Replaced the battery and still didn't work. Then replaced the battery with everything powered down and unplugged and it seemed to have worked. Might have even been with everything plugged in and it worked, one of the two.

Associate
OP
Next time you turn it on after being off for a little, boot straight in to the bios and check the time there. If it's wrong then it's likely a motherboard / battery issue.

Had a similar problem to you. Replaced the battery and still didn't work. Then replaced the battery with everything powered down and unplugged and it seemed to have worked. Might have even been with everything plugged in and it worked, one of the two.

Thanks. This fixed it. I replaced the battery before and it didn't work so I unplugged everything, plugged back in and reset the CMOS and it's fine now.

Back
Top Bottom