• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Silly to buy a 1080ti now??

Associate
On the verge of throwing the towel in with the rtx 2080ti a friend will sell me his evga 1080ti hydro for a good price with warranty I just hope sneaky nvidia have not accidentally released a poor driver for the new rtx range to trigger a 1080ti buying splurge :) I have a gtx 980ti and been patiently waiting for the rtx range only to be disappointed like many with performance per £. Its ok saying wait for the next card due next year but I have done that two years in a row, do you think this card everyone is harping on about will be sold at pre mining prices if its as good as everyone assumes do you think nvidia will sell this at a reduced cost compared to the rtx range now...I think not ! Those cards will make this new range seem cheap.

Soldato
On the verge of throwing the towel in with the rtx 2080ti a friend will sell me his evga 1080ti hydro for a good price with warranty I just hope sneaky nvidia have not accidentally released a poor driver for the new rtx range to trigger a 1080ti buying splurge :) I have a gtx 980ti and been patiently waiting for the rtx range only to be disappointed like many with performance per £. Its ok saying wait for the next card due next year but I have done that two years in a row, do you think this card everyone is harping on about will be sold at pre mining prices if its as good as everyone assumes do you think nvidia will sell this at a reduced cost compared to the rtx range now...I think not ! Those cards will make this new range seem cheap.

There is much unknown here. There is NO DOUBT the performance of the 20xx series will improve. Driver maturation alone will ensure that, even if RTX features don't materialise anytime soon (but DLSS will only help further as and when games start to support it). The 1080Ti won't. It's as good as it gets... damn good, but still at its peak (arguably worse if you believe the conspiracy theories that drivers might gimp it slightly).

As to new cards, there is no indication we will see new cards in a year. It could be longer than that... it really will depend how well the 20xx sells and what happens on the gaming front. If devs are slow to release content and the cards don't fly off the shelves, there is no way Nvidia are going to be putting out the next gen at 7nm (or whatever it ends up being) at ever more inflated prices and expecting people to buy them. We might see the 20xx series stick around for quite a while yet, and it's not as if Nvidia have any competition at the top end to worry about.

Soldato
DLSS is good, but I honestly feel it wont make it to more than 20 games total, if it goes over it wont be much over. Nvidia's history is they can never prolong propriety image enhancement techs. They kinda got unlucky with MFAA as when it was released MSAA was on death's door tho.

What will make or break DLSS for a consumer I think is if they play a game on the DLSS list and thats all they play most of the time, so they get massive use out of it, but on the flip side you could easily be playing games that have no DLSS included so it provides "zero" benefit.

Soldato
DLSS is good, but I honestly feel it wont make it to more than 20 games total, if it goes over it wont be much over. Nvidia's history is they can never prolong propriety image enhancement techs. They kinda got unlucky with MFAA as when it was released MSAA was on death's door tho.

What will make or break DLSS for a consumer I think is if they play a game on the DLSS list and thats all they play most of the time, so they get massive use out of it, but on the flip side you could easily be playing games that have no DLSS included so it provides "zero" benefit.

Depends how good it is. We just don't know yet. If it does make a big difference, games sell well and this in turn kicks off more 20xx sales, then you can bet devs will be jumping on the DLSS bandwagon. So yes, it will come down to the consumer reaction to it.

DLSS could be a game changer... this isn't Hairworks. It's specific intention is to improve both visual performance AND frame rate.

Soldato
The issue is its propriety, its not like FXAA that will work on every card, So if e.g. the combined 2080 and 2080ti owners make up say 3% of a customer base buying a game, do you invest in a tech that benefits 3% of your customers without someone paying you to do so?

To prove my point in 2017 there was barely any DX12 games released (yet DX12 works on a lot more PCs than DLSS ever will) and still a lot of DX9 games released.

Soldato
The worrying signs for DLSS is that, even though they say it's all so easy to implement and do, then why do they barely have any games announced for it? It should be absolutely widespread not only supposed to be coming for a few games. It stinks of something foul.

And if it's oh so easy to implement and deploy then how come they can't even get one damn title to work with it yet?

Promises are nice, but actual results are better. If it takes them months to get this into games then we're that much closer to 7nm, so what future proofing are you really buying? Seems like a wasted selling point on Nvidia's part - unless it was all meant to be just hype in the first place.

Soldato
It's basically a refined version of consoles chequerboard rendering, I guess they had to do something with turing not able to maintain 60fps at 1080p with ray tracing on. RTX and DLSS are not easy to implement going by the lack of support on the cards release so I expect them to never go mainstream unless AMD get on board.

So yeah a 1080ti under £600 is a great buy over the 2080, the extra vram does not hurt either.

Associate
The worrying signs for DLSS is that, even though they say it's all so easy to implement and do, then why do they barely have any games announced for it? It should be absolutely widespread not only supposed to be coming for a few games. It stinks of something foul.

And if it's oh so easy to implement and deploy then how come they can't even get one damn title to work with it yet?

Promises are nice, but actual results are better. If it takes them months to get this into games then we're that much closer to 7nm, so what future proofing are you really buying? Seems like a wasted selling point on Nvidia's part - unless it was all meant to be just hype in the first place.

Yep. For sure Nvidia must've wanted to release the cards with at least a single AAA game ready with DLSS support, but all we have are 2 demos.

2 Demos and no date whatsoever for the first Ray-Tracing or DLSS enabled game. And they know even a solid date could improve sales for those still on the fence, but nothing. Absolute silence from Nvidia.

Associate
So, I get that DLSS has the ability to apply a learned formula to use the Tensor cores to focus on specific areas of an image on a per frame basis ...

but why does it have to run on nVidia's servers at the learning stage ? Why can it not run on the developers systems as they develop the game, and then simply ship with the game baked in?

they way things are panning out, I'm glad I went for a 1080ti in the weeks prior to the RTX launch. I just dont see the appeal yet.

Soldato
its also left me with a PSU conundrum as my PSU is on the edge spec wise a 600watt PSU with 40amps on 12v rail. So initially the card may be configured with a 80% power limit or something in afterburner.

You PSU should be fine, I've never gone over 450 W from the wall with an Extreme and overclocked 2600K.

Associate
Well folded hopefully swapping out my gtx980ti for a Asus strix 1080ti second hand £575 so if all's good a not to bad upgrade for the money especially if I get a little bit back for my old Asus posieden card.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Well folded hopefully swapping out my gtx980ti for a Asus strix 1080ti second hand £575 so if all's good a not to bad upgrade for the money especially if I get a little bit back for my old Asus posieden card.
This is the trouble with second hand prices for high end cards. Buyers fold before sellers. People happy to make a 10% saving or less and going second hand.

For £600 could have had a brand new one about a week ago.

Considering over a year ago these cards were £580 for an extreme edition with a games. Current prices second hand are ludicrous imo.

Soldato
Seems nvidia have added anti resell mechanisms on the game code, I think destiny 2 codes can be resold but only to 1070/80/80ti owners and people who are prepared to install geforce experience to activate it.

Back
Top Bottom